RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 9:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FT2DR

Before you can use the SD card in either the ADMS software or the aftermarket software make a backup on the radio that will create a backup.dat file. Then you will be able to read that file in from the SD card and modify it. Then write the modified backup.dat file to the sdcard and put it back in the radio and read from the card. All of your programming will then be in the radio.
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2016, 2:33 PM

Hello,

A few weeks ago I bought the FT2DR in th USA and I really like that radio.
But I live in Ukraine and will be using it there. So could anybody advise me how to change DST from USA/EXP version to EU version?
I tried to upload EU firmware a few times, but always had to see 'FIRM ERROR' message. For now it's works with US/EXP firmware well.

Thank you so much.
Old 07-03-2016, 3:26 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I suspect that you will not be able to load the EU firmware in a radio configured for the North American market. I'm not familiar with the available modifications for the FT-2D, but there may be chip resistors that can be changed to make the radio think it's an EU radio.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 07-03-2016, 3:49 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I think so. And it would be great to know how to do that if anybody knows... So I will waiting for somebody to help me)
Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Using ADMS-8 to program FT2DR works for me.

Here is what I do:

1. Download ADMS-8 package from Yaesu WebSite. Extract them to your PC, and use it directly, no need to install.
Welcome to Yaesu.com

2. Insert a 2GB micro SD card to FT2DR. You can use bigger one according to FT2DR manual.
3. On FT2DR, Backup memory info to SD card . Refer to Page 154 of FT2DR manual.
Memory settings is saved to BACKUP.dat file in BACKUP directory on SD card. . It is a best practice to copy it to your hard drive on your PC, and always make a copy before edit it, such as backup_july10_2016.dat
4. Run ft2dADMS8.exe from ADMS-8 package.
5. In "Communications" menu, use "Read data from SD Card", and open the BACKUP.dat file from your PC..
6. Edit the file as you want.
7. Once done your editing, use "Save Data to SD Card" in "Communications" menu.
8. Copy BACKUP.dat to BACKUP directory in SD Card.
9.,Mount SD Card back to FT2DR
10. On FT2DR, read from SD, Refer to Page 154 of FT2DR manual.

Things be careful.
1. It is a best practice always Turn off the radio when insert or remove SD card.
2. Copy and paste "Name" in BACKUP.dat may reset frequency when editing memory setting file, So try to read file back to confirm before load to radio. This happens to me couple times.

Other than copy and paste issue, ADMS-8 works for me, in term that it saves you lots of time, you are now typing on your PC, you don't need to jump thru menus to programming a memory for a Repeater..

From ADMS-8, I don't find a way to import data from reference source such as Repeater Book like CHIRP does. So you might need to consider RT system for Advance Configurtions, but it is $$$. I don't figure out a way to exchange data with CHIRP.

Jeff.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2H View Post

Once I read the BACKUP.dat from the Lexar SD card into the ADMS software, I was able to SEND DATA TO SD CARD WITHOUT changing the XML file.

I had same problem with a friends FT2DR radio and the supplied USB cable. I could 'see' the radio but not able to get the CLONE data with that cable. Tried several so-called drivers, and 'cables' that would not work.
I was able to get Yaesu's Adms software to run on XP Home and was able to read the SD card. Did not even know the radio had a SD card. Fix all the programming errors and write that back to the SD card. Then put SD card back in radio and transfer the data from the card.

The best find was the information at G4HFQ Radio Programming Software site. And his trial software works read only.
I wish I had been able to try the RT syst cable, but no one around here had it.