Yaesu: Yeasu FT-60R Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubernerdsteve

Hi All,

I've attempted to find a similar problem through various Google searches but am always open to links if someone thinks this is already answered... I believe I discovered a similar problem in one other discussion but not sure it was ever answered.

I have an FT-60R that has functioned for years without issue. The radio sat for a couple of years, I recharged it, and when I turned it on the radio was stuck on one of my programmed channels. The lock indicator was on, I was able to push and hold 6 and remove the lock indicator but the radio still functioned like it was locked - lights come on when I push buttons or turn the scroll knob but it stays put on the existing frequency.

I then performed an allreset -> shut radio off, held moni button scrolled using knob to all reset, push FW, TX bar lights up, radio beeps and restarts. I can still continue to do this; however, the only thing that has changed now is that my memory is whiped out, the lock doesn't initially appear on the screen but the radio is still locked out.

At this point if I just turn it on it displays [ FM 430.000 Save] (the save is solid) and buttons do nothing but other than make the backlight come up. TX does nothing other than if I hold it long enough I can make the save flash, pushing FW makes it stop flashing.

Additionally I can get into the reset mode (not sure the official name for it) and change it to U-only or V-Only or M-Only. That does change what is displayed on the screen but I'm still equally stuck (V-Only displays 144.000 instead and M-Only Displays Mem001).

I do have reason to believe this all happened from the power supply. It doesn't seem to be functioning right. I have gotten another power supply, completely discharged battery and recharged with new supply.

I don't there is some mode I could throw it into that wouldn't be reset by one of the reset options so I don't presume I am that lucky but it's worth a shot if anyone has suggestions. I have pulled apart the radio and find nothing that would indicate a hardware failure - no smell, no obviously failed components or damaged traces.

Any suggestions? Is it possible it's a firmware issue, any way to reload the firmware? Radio is not under warranty so I'm not worried about voiding warranty with your suggestions. This would be a lot less frustrating if the radio appeared to be totally bricked but it still performs basic functions, I can still get into the reset menu and that doesn't seem to be an issue...that is why I lean to firmware; not sure if the radio has a separate eeprom for the reset menu but that's what the symptoms seem to me to be through I am far from an expert with this radio.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems you have two choices.

1. Send the radio to Yaesu for service.
2. Buy a new radio.

Stuff like this seems to happen to equipment that sits around unused. I recently removed some radios from a defunct emergency communications trailer. Other members of the ARES group were aghast that I dared take out radios that hadn't been used for 10-15 years. Guess what? Most of them no longer worked or had problems. Out of four microphones only one worked.

If you have not used the radio for some time, you either don't get on the air very much or you have other radios. Maybe now is the time to treat yourself to a new HT.

ubernerdsteve

ko6jw_2

This particular HT found itself lost after a move, I also used to get on the air a lot (primarily) while hiking which life, marriage, and my too many other hobbies, got in the way of but now the wife is into hiking so we've hit the trails again and I finally unpacked those last few boxes and found it. I like the FT-60, treated me well.

As for stating the obvious, I'm OK with that, sometimes to accept reality one needs to be told the obvious. I am just trying to make sure I didn't miss something else obvious and get that McCoy confirmation before I give up on it (It's dead Jim).

If nobody has experienced this, and/or has come up with a fix, I'll try calling Yeasu find out what (and how much $) is involved with #1, then make my way to Option #2 if #1 doesn't sound worth while.

Thanks for your weigh in on this.

Still open to suggestions if anyone has experienced this themselves.

Regards,
Steve

Otto

Here is a quote from Yaesu when I inquired to get my FT-60 repaired after I smashed it onto the pavement from an accidental drop.
"There is a minimum $35 estimate fee. Our current labor charge is $70 per hour plus parts and shipping. When you send in your equipment, the bench technician will analyze the problem and Customer Service will call you with an estimate. If you decide to have the work done the $35 estimate fee will be credited toward the repair charge."

I bought a new radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.