Yaesu: FT-2900 Software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello I have a question I am hoping anyone on here can help me with.

I just got the software for the radio FT-2900 and never used it before and will be programming a radio for someone and just wondering on the screen it shows Receive Frequency but no Transmit Frequency.

So just wondering after I read the radio will it show me where to enter in the Transmit Frequency, if not where or what do I click on in the software for me to enter in the Transmit Frequency.

Let me know.

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

N2AL

Is there a selection for offset frequency? If there is not a transmit frequency input, the offset frequency may be the solution.

Also if the offset is the solution, be sure to indicate negative or positive offset. I hope this helps, but without looking at the software I cannot give any further advice.

SCPD

QRT
Ok thanks will have a look when it comes time to do it.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Ok I just went to try it awhile ago and for some reason it didn't want to read. I clicked on READ RADIO then a box came up telling me what to do and I followed those instructions then clicked on ok then another box came up telling me to press the MHz button (I pressed that then it said "TX" on the radio screen then after a minute or so it said "ERROR" on the radio screen) and nothing happened on my computer telling me it was reading the radio. I tried different COM Ports and still nothing. I am pretty sure I have the right cable.

Here is the cable I bought and got.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/150528309791

So I don't know what the issue is. Because the mic works and everything else.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the contacts where you plug the cable into is a little dirty and for some reason my programming cable is not making contact even though the mic cable is.

So just seeing if anyone on here might know or have an idea as to what the problem is as to why it won't read the radio.

Let me know.

Thanks

mm

Why not just program the radio from the front panel and forget the software, this is how these radios have been programmed for years.

The FT2900 is easy to program from the front panel without the need for a PC and software and having to worry about if you have the correct prolific USB drivers, unlike the chicom radios which most really do require a PC to setup.

SCPD

QRT
Yes I could do it from the keypad but prefer using the software because with the software and I make a mistake I can go back and see what it is and fix it but by doing it from the keypad and something is not right I won't know what the mistake is since I never played with this type of radio before.

So prefer the software.

So let me know.

Thanks

cmdrwill

Some radio programing software will not work well or just plain NOT work with USB cables. Also did you have the da**d driver for that particular USB cable loaded correctly.

RT Systems requires their cable, or the software will not work.

Some software does not even understand USB.

SCPD

QRT
Oh k. This software I got from the internet is the correct software for it.

Yah a little cd came with that cable and I put the cd in and it said it was installed and ready to use.

Oh k. I don't want to spend more money on another cable one that you plug into your COM Port in the back of my computer and incase that doesn't work either. Then will be out more money.

So I don't know.

So I don't know if it's because the cable port in his radio is dirty or if it's my end.

k6cpo

Oh k. This software I got from the internet is the correct software for it.

Yah a little cd came with that cable and I put the cd in and it said it was installed and ready to use.

Oh k. I don't want to spend more money on another cable one that you plug into your COM Port in the back of my computer and incase that doesn't work either. Then will be out more money.

So I don't know.

So I don't know if it's because the cable port in his radio is dirty or if it's my end.

This is the problem with trying to get the best bargain possible. You get what you pay for.

The best radio programming software out there hands down is RT Systems. You will $49.00 for the software cable, but it will work the first time right out of the box. In addition, RT keeps up with periodic updates.

I'm a Yaesu user (I have seven) and I have the RT Systems software and cables for every single one of them. I have NEVER had an issue with programming any of my radios.

SCPD

QRT
Ok. I am just going to stick with the software I got for free.

Not going to pay for another software that I am only going to use twice. Because no one else here around me uses this type of radio. They all use Motorola or Kenwood.

I believe you it might be, even though I never heard of that software you just mentioned.

So since you are a yaesu user. What do you think the issue is the USB Cable I got or like I mentioned maybe his mic jack is a little dirty.

If it's the cable because it's USB, maybe will try and get a COM Port cable.

Let me know.

I would like to get this one radio fixed up for this guy.

Thanks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Why not just program the radio from the front panel and forget the software, this is how these radios have been programmed for years.

The FT2900 is easy to program from the front panel without the need for a PC and software and having to worry about if you have the correct prolific USB drivers, unlike the chicom radios which most really do require a PC to setup.

If you're programming lots of frequencies, the computer is the better way to go. It's easier to see mistakes and it's easier to look at the screen and see all the information (offset, CTCSS, etc.) for all the frequencies.

However easy is might seem, entering a large number of frequencies through the front panel can't possibly be as easy as using the computer.

(Having said that, my FT2900 is on the shelf. I'm using a Kenwood TM-V71 in the car.)

SCPD

QRT
k6cpo I sent you another PM yesterday to reply back to when you get it.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Ok don't remember seeing that but will look when I go back on that computer.

Not familiar with that but ok.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On 2 meters the offset is + or - 600 Hertz. On 440 it's 5 MHZ. Your program should indicate + or -

600kHz

You'll likely have an offset unless you're talking simplex.

k6cpo

It has come to my attention that neither the OP in this thread or the owner of the radio in question are licensed amateur radio operators and as such should not even be trying to program this radio.

SCPD

QRT
Sorry about asking for help on here about this. I won't bother touching the radio anymore and will let him get it done by someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.