Yaesu: Yaesu ft-2d aprs problem's

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ33

I have a YAESU FT-2D I am a fairly new ham and very new to APRS I have set everything in the APRS menu to what i believe to be correct based off of the YAESU manual and the "pro's" off youtube however. I don't appear to be sending my location out as it does not appear on aprs.fi i seem to be sending something out and i am receiving data packets but when i much reply to an incoming packet it just disappear's.
so i am probably just over complicating things but if anyone know the proper setting's to make this thing work. your help would be greatly appreciated. here is my whole menu and radio setup:

Raio is set to 144.39 on the B VFO side
1. APRS AF DUAL. (set to on)
2. NA
3. APRS FILTER. (default settings)
4. APRS MODEM. (set to 1200 bps)
5. APRS MSG FLASH (default)
6. APRS MSG GROUP (set to all)
7. NA
8. APRS MUTE ( set to on )
9. APRS POPUP ( default)
10. APRS RINGER (default)
11. APRS UNIT ( default)
12. APRS TX DELAY (set to 300ms)
13 BEACON INFO : ( AMBIGUITY - set to off
SPD/CSE - set to on
ALTITUDE - set to on )
14. BEACON INTERVAL ( set to 5min )
15. BEACON STATS TXT ( default )
16. BEACON TX ( set to Auto)
17. COM PORT SETTING ( set to off )
18. DIGI PATH : P3(FIXED) = WIDE1-1
WIDE2-1
19. GPS SETUP ( default)
20. GPS POWER ( set to on )
21. DEFAULT
22. DEFAULT
23. CALLSIGN : KE0JVH-7
24. MY POSITION: (gps auto)
25. MY SYMBOL ( human/person)
26. POSITION COMMENT ( in- service )
27. SMARTBEACONING (OFF)
28. Default

k6cpo

All of the Yaesu System Fusion radios have more detailed manuals that have to be downloaded from the Yaesu website. They don't come bundled with the radio. There is an additional manual for APRS.

Have you downloaded and read this manual yet? if You haven't, it might help.

CJ33

Yaesu manual

Yes sir I have down loaded it and gone threw it. Although I'm going to read back over to make sure. From what I can tell I have everything set right.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Couple of things. Does the radio show your position according to GPS? Have you done this outside with a clear view of the sky [if inside, the antenna may not be picking up GPS signals enough to give position to the radio]? Are you close to a site that will pick up your beacon? What antenna are you using? Looking at your town you may require a outside antenna.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have a YAESU FT-2D... I don't appear to be sending my location out as it does not appear on aprs.fi i seem to be sending something out and i am receiving data packets but when i much reply to an incoming packet it just disappear's...

1. Can you listen to 144.3900MHz with another radio to see if your FT-2D is even transmitting?

2. Are you with in range of a APRS gateway?

3. Are you with in range of a digi-peater that is with in the footprint of an APRS gateway?

If you do not know the answers to questions 2 & 3 start there. Talk to locals and ask them where the closest digi-peater is, and also ask where the closest internet gateway is, and see if you are in the footprint of either/both. 1200baud packet is not as fogiving as analogue voice. The digi/gateway needs to be able to decode the whole packet, so being weak into the digi/gateway is not going to do you favours

APRS packets do not magically appear on APRS.fi. The packets must be picked up by an APRS internet gateway, before they will show up on APRS.fi.

CJ33

Couple of things. Does the radio show your position according to GPS? Have you done this outside with a clear view of the sky [if inside, the antenna may not be picking up GPS signals enough to give position to the radio]? Are you close to a site that will pick up your beacon? What antenna are you using? Looking at your town you may require a outside antenna.

Yes the gps shows my position and i have operated outside with a j pole that i made with works very good.

thank you for helping. i also tried it again with a full battery in clear view still nothing

CJ33

1. Can you listen to 144.3900MHz with another radio to see if your FT-2D is even transmitting?

2. Are you with in range of a APRS gateway?

3. Are you with in range of a digi-peater that is with in the footprint of an APRS gateway?

If you do not know the answers to questions 2 & 3 start there. Talk to locals and ask them where the closest digi-peater is, and also ask where the closest internet gateway is, and see if you are in the footprint of either/both. 1200baud packet is not as fogiving as analogue voice. The digi/gateway needs to be able to decode the whole packet, so being weak into the digi/gateway is not going to do you favours

APRS packets do not magically appear on APRS.fi. The packets must be picked up by an APRS internet gateway, before they will show up on APRS.fi.

1. I have had a fellow ham and avid aprs user right next to me as i transmitted. his radio show a transmission but no data was received also he has a good aprs program, that he used to send me a test packet to my radio
if the test works my radio will automatically send a reply and yes you guessed it that never happened.

2. yes i am plenty in range of aprs gateway that i am aware of according to google I'm 15 miles away

3. and yes i am in range of a digipeater but i will double check with my friend and on the map

i will double check everything you told me and do some range testing and post another reply on results thanks so much for your time !

KC6LPE

FT-APRS

I'm a FT1D user, so I can't say for sure if this will work.

But a previously reported error involves the SSID. For as-yet unknown reasons, under certain conditions and gateways if you delete the SSID (in your case the "-7") and beacon only your call sign it'll go through whereas the call sign plus SSID gets hung up someplace.

Give it a try and see what happens.

clfclf68

I have a YAESU FT-2D I am a fairly new ham and very new to APRS I have set everything in the APRS menu to what i believe to be correct based off of the YAESU manual and the "pro's" off youtube however. I don't appear to be sending my location out as it does not appear on aprs.fi i seem to be sending something out and i am receiving data packets but when i much reply to an incoming packet it just disappear's.

so i am probably just over complicating things but if anyone know the proper setting's to make this thing work. your help would be greatly appreciated. here is my whole menu and radio setup:

Raio is set to 144.39 on the B VFO side

1. APRS AF DUAL. (set to on)

2. NA

3. APRS FILTER. (default settings)

4. APRS MODEM. (set to 1200 bps)

5. APRS MSG FLASH (default)

6. APRS MSG GROUP (set to all)

7. NA

8. APRS MUTE ( set to on )

9. APRS POPUP ( default)

10. APRS RINGER (default)

11. APRS UNIT ( default)

12. APRS TX DELAY (set to 300ms)

13 BEACON INFO : ( AMBIGUITY - set to off

SPD/CSE - set to on

ALTITUDE - set to on )

14. BEACON INTERVAL ( set to 5min )

15. BEACON STATS TXT ( default )

16. BEACON TX ( set to Auto)

17. COM PORT SETTING ( set to off )

18. DIGI PATH : P3(FIXED) = WIDE1-1

WIDE2-1

19. GPS SETUP ( default)

20. GPS POWER ( set to on )

21. DEFAULT

22. DEFAULT

23. CALLSIGN : KE0JVH-7

24. MY POSITION: (gps auto)

25. MY SYMBOL ( human/person)

26. POSITION COMMENT ( in- service )

27. SMARTBEACONING (OFF)

28. Default

I am having the same issue with APRS on the Yaesu FT2D. I can't seem to get a beacon of APRS message out. Did you ever resolve your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claborne

I spent a week goofing with the FT2d and yes, way too complex. If Yaesu figures out how to put a iPhone like UI on it, they will destroy the industry. My issue is that I had it in "Mono Band receive mode". Now before you kick me in the ***, I didn't realize that is what they called it. To me, it was called (see the channel name mode). Would it kill them to show the channel name where the meter is or something.

I also learned not to set APRS #8 to ON. If you do, you can't use VFO B as it mutes all channels on B.

Status
Not open for further replies.