Kenwood: Kenwood TH-D72 Cig Lighter Adapter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTCSZ

Hi: I recently purchased an after-market cigarette lighter adapter charger for my DH-72 handheld radio...It charges the radio fine, but I cannot transmit or receive while it is plugged into the radio...When I press the PTT, the radio beeps, flashes the welcome screen and returns to the channel display...Is this a case of getting what I paid for? Would the actual Kenwood brand adapter allow me to transmit and receive while plugged in? Thanks for the help...

Steve KA1OWC

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it may not be supplying enough voltage to allow transmissions. Some chargers are designed just for that. What power does this after market charger supply and how much is required? Is it filtered?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I agree. That's a classic sign of a power starved radio.
Sounds like the radio is using the charger to power the radio when it's charging the battery. The charger doesn't supply enough current to power the radio in transmit mode. It's got enough for receiving.

LTCSZ

So, is there any method of powering the radio from an external power source, i.e., Lithium battery? I am trying to build a small "Go-Box" around the radio, but I don't want to buy an expensive battery if there is no way for the radio to utilize it! I also tried using the "wall wart" charger that came with the radio...Same result; won't transmit when plugged in...The "wart" puts out 13.8V .65 Amps and the Cig Adapter puts out 12V 2 Amps...Thanks a lot...

Steve KA1OWC

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have the Kenwood-branded PG-3J Filtered Cigarette Lighter Cord. The label says that the output is 2 amps. I can connect the PG-3J to a lighter socket in my vehicle and to my TH-D72 and transmit just fine.

I think you got what you paid for.

For your go box, you might consider the PG-2W DC Cable. This is just a plug on one end that mates with the radio and fused positive and negative leads on the other end for connecting directly to a 12 volt battery or 12 volt power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.