Yaesu: yaesu FT 857D 40m lsb Xmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lzchristopher

Recently got an 857 D. on 40m, specifically 7.125 for test, I can transmit AM and FM, but there is no output on LSB as if there is too much SWR. 2 different antennas.
What am I missing? I'm pretty new to Ham
AC8YW

wrath

Have you put a meter on it to check the swr, and does it fail to peRForm on USB also , was the rig new or used and do you have the right tuner or are you running bareback ? Lots of variables , is your antenna 40 meter dipole of Is it multiband.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Lzchristopher

Meter is normal 100w and swr 1.3: 1 on AM and FM. Two different antennas, a G5RV and an all band Dx Challenger.
No tuner for now. I'll run the Dipole thru a tuner today, but the Dx doesn't like tuners.

When operating on SSB either upper or lower there is no power output until you speak into the mic. If you don't get any output when you speak into the mic, check your mic level or you could have a defective mic.

Lzchristopher

When operating on SSB either upper or lower there is no power output until you speak into the mic. If you don't get any output when you speak into the mic, check your mic level or you could have a defective mic.
Thanx. I hadn't realized that. Definitely a long learning curve.

Lzchristopher

SSB

When mentioned it was quite obvious that Sideband wouldn't have output without modulation.
Kind of a 'Duh'.

royldean

Also, can you actually transmit on 7.125 with LSB? Doesn't that put you into the digital/cw portion of the band (is the radio smart enough to know that and limit transmit?)?

Lzchristopher

I'll have to look into that. I listen to a Net on that freq from Kansas/Missouri. Maybe they are shifted. But yes, 7.125 shows as top of CW only. With modulation I do see some output though.
Thanx for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.