Kenwood: Kenwood D710GA with Garmin Nuvi 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last July '17, we traveled from SA Texas to the rocky mountain parks of Colorado. Along the way, there are spots that doesnt have cellphone signals and i dont have GPS and am just relying on the Phone GPS. I had a 7inch Garmin before and i sold it not knowing that i need it someday. When i checked my Kenwood D710GA seems like theres a port for the GPS, might be a GPS antenna receiver or maybe might also be useful for a real GPS with Display. I bumped a thread that someone was using a Garmin Nuvi 350on on a D710, again its D710 no particular model extension like A/G/GA. Now am wondering if anyone here have used this setup, D710GA and Garmin 350. It's a good pair when travelling, a real time GPS and also i can view other stations on the display even without cell coverage. Garmin 350 cost like less than $20 on ebay and there is also a cable available from argent data. The GTRANS Garmin to NMEA Translator Cable (Kenwood Style)..

Hoping for your kind input regarding this querry.

Last edited:

wrath

I actually cheat and my 710ga GPS out for my GPS in on my scanner, saves me from a second reciever, but the 396 & 996 xt are going to be replaced before the end of the year, and 536hp has it huilt in. you can also for cheap mod your head to have onboard gps!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Ok, i sold my Uniden536HP last year, when i discovered an iphone app that feds the same broadcast my 536 receives in my area and to places i want to go. Saves me 500 bucks. What i need is a display at the same time a cheap GPS that i can use to monitor Hams around like APRS.fi or APRSdirect.. but in times of NO coverage, smartphones are useless oh before i forget theres an APP that does not depend on Cellsite its called Nokia HERE, but i miss that during our travel. 710GA has built in GPS all i need is a display.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The problem with the Garmin nuvi 350 is that it has been out of production for many years and I'm hearing that the used market for them is drying up.

Yes, the GPS port on the TM-D710GA will accept an internal GPS receiver input in lieu of the internal GPS receiver.

Yes, the Argent Data GTRANS will convert the Garmin FMI protocol, as used on the nuvi 350, to GPS strings that the Kenwood radios will understand. The GTRANS will also work with other nuvis, but not as well as with the nuvi 350. I used to have a nuvi 1450 that worked fairly well with the Kenwood radios, but it would not automatically update the screen to show received APRS positions. I had to force the screen to update periodically.

Note that the GTRANS was designed for the earlier nuvis that had a separate power connector. Later nuvis brought power in over the mini-USB connector. Argent Data silently offered a "GTRANS2" that would work with the newer nuvis (though they still had screen updating issues).

wrath

There was a cover article in QST about 3 months ago with a guy who has a 480 & 710 mounted with two inexpensive tablets I believe he was running APRS DROID , I use it myself with my 74a Bluetooth into tablet,if you go to Google it's cheap to buy the program and you wouldn't even need a GPS or display because it's right in your phone or tablet , it will run on just about any android, I travel lots of miles on greyhound and beacon as I go with both my mobile and my tablet (I am in power wheelchair so I always have a radio mounted either the 710ga with whip or 7000 with little tarheels hp,depending on what i am doing) i have had good luck with APRS DROID,its probably the most fun you can have for under $10 in ham radio it links right into APRS.FI and will give you a nice view weather you want local regional or larger area .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.