Icom: Help with 7300, InRad RX Mod & MFJ1026 Noise Canceler

Status
Not open for further replies.

osros

Feed Provider
Looking to get the MFJ-1026 Noise Canceler for my Icom 7300 and a bit confused on the use of the InRad RX7300 RX Mod, I watched a user video on it and seemed easy enough, however, I'm not seeing the use of RX Mod and if it is really needed or not to get the Noise Canceler to function with the 7300. My biggest concern is I am using the external tuner control port and wish to leave it as is, I guess it can leave it inside and run the control cables out somewhere but like I said I'm not sure of the usefulness of the InRad RX7300 RX Mod perhaps my needs are simple at the moment and I don't see it yet.

Anyone have the above or similar setup can enlighten me?

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
One of the consistent complaints about the IC-7300 was that it came with no provisions for a receive-only antenna. Higher-priced radios often have a second TX-RX antenna port that can be used for receive only or a dedicated receive-only port. This feature is handy for some bands like 160 or 80m where you might have a Beverage receive antenna and a loaded vertical for transmit. Radios with separate receive antenna features will select the RX-only antenna in receive and automatically switch to the TX antenna in transmit.

InRad spotted a niche market they could serve, so they developed this receive antenna add-on. The radio uses your main antenna when transmitting, but switches to your receive antenna when receiving. How it accomplishes this feat, I do not know.

osros

Feed Provider
One of the consistent complaints about the IC-7300 was that it came with no provisions for a receive-only antenna. Higher-priced radios often have a second TX-RX antenna port that can be used for receive only or a dedicated receive-only port. This feature is handy for some bands like 160 or 80m where you might have a Beverage receive antenna and a loaded vertical for transmit. Radios with separate receive antenna features will select the RX-only antenna in receive and automatically switch to the TX antenna in transmit.

InRad spotted a niche market they could serve, so they developed this receive antenna add-on. The radio uses your main antenna when transmitting, but switches to your receive antenna when receiving. How it accomplishes this feat, I do not know.

Thanks the more I view the video and read on it I guess the IRAD mod is not a bad deal and opens up some options for later perhaps also will add a Front End Protection box just in case.

Thanks

prcguy

I have a 7300 and will be installing my own version of the InRad mod. I found small coax cables with the needed miniature TMP connectors to mate with the internal boards and will drill and mount BNC connectors on the rear of the radio as a receive antenna input and output.

There will be a small BNC jumper between the connectors for normal operation and if I need to use a separate receive antenna or place a filter in line with the receiver only you put that between the connectors. This will leave the remote antenna tuner connector intact and proved a better ground for the external connections over the InRad version.

You have to remember the 7300 is an entry level radio with less features even though it has steller performance.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.