Yaesu: FT-51R memory battery (CR1216-1F6) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8SHA

This is me!
Greetings all,

After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into radio. While digging my gear out, I discovered that the lithium backup battery in my FT-51R has bit the dust, probably many years ago.

It is Yaesu part number Q9000627 - a CR1216 battery with tabs attached for soldering to the controller board. According to info on another site, from 2009, the actual number is CR1216-1F6 and the original Mfgr is Panasonic.

I contacted Yaesu and they informed me that the battery is no longer available from them. I've done some searching for CR1216 with tabs, and mostly what I am seeing is a lot of eBay sellers from China, and I'm not confident the tabs match.

I'm hoping somebody out there has some suggestions. I'd hate to have ditch this thing because of a $3 battery.

Thanks!

Matt
N8SHA

wrath

Have you tried batteries America to source the battery ? They have everything under the sun yaesu battery wise, thats a great rig , i miss mine , it hung on 4 more years after i drove over it with my car , the display was done but i used the speaker mics display as a surrogate .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

wrath

Greetings all,

After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into radio. While digging my gear out, I discovered that the lithium backup battery in my FT-51R has bit the dust, probably many years ago.

It is Yaesu part number Q9000627 - a CR1216 battery with tabs attached for soldering to the controller board. According to info on another site, from 2009, the actual number is CR1216-1F6 and the original Mfgr is Panasonic.

I contacted Yaesu and they informed me that the battery is no longer available from them. I've done some searching for CR1216 with tabs, and mostly what I am seeing is a lot of eBay sellers from China, and I'm not confident the tabs match.

I'm hoping somebody out there has some suggestions. I'd hate to have ditch this thing because of a $3 battery.

Thanks!

Matt
N8SHA
If you ever decide to ditch it call me I'll love on her.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

shanster

So I have a few FT51R radio's from the late 90's (love em, cross band repeat, spectrum analyzer). All have dead memory batteries. So last year I went searching for replacements batteries with terminals, NADA.
Last night I just got bold (I am expert at soldering), and opened up one of them and examined the offending CR1216. At 0.3volts. So I searched the web again for a replacement, found nothing.

Then I found a new CR1220 with no terminals in my cache of dime cell batteries.
I removed the dead CR1216 (which is super easy), removed the clear tape on the top, cut off part of the bottom terminal (-) and carefully (quickly with 750F iron setting), attached the lug very flatly against cell. Then I applied the round tape back to the top of the CR1220 cell and soldered the negative terminal to the PCB. Then I very briefly tinned the edge of the CR1220 and bridged the contact on the PCB with thin wire to the edge of the CD1220, VIOLA, memory restored and with a larger capacity cell.

Cheers, Shannon

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.