What should my first radio be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bignell

I am going to be completing my Ham license this December and will be getting a radio for Christmas? What should my first radio be? I am thinking about the Icom IC-92AD and learning more about the D-Star option. But I would also like to set up a base station and antenna, but without spending too much money on my first set up.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Part of the fun of the hobby is the research into buying the things you want. Decide what your needs and wants are then figure out how much money you want to spend. After that, jump on the Internet and visit the manufacturer's and dealer's web sites and find something that meets your criteria.

Read the user's comments on the manufacturer's site, if they have them. Visit the eHam web site and see what others think of the stuff you're looking at. There are a lot of things to consider in a base unit so it could be a time-consuming process.

You could have 25 responses to your request and they might all be different but you're the one using the equipment and you're the one paying for it. All the comments you get might be valid but make your own decision.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Research what others are using in your area. Settling on a digital mode that quickly may lead to disappointment if it's getting little use in your area. While the radio will do analog, don't be too quick to buy into the brand/mode thing just yet.
Be cautious about talking to specific amateurs or clubs, as they will almost always try to steer you towards whatever digital mode they have personally chosen. Take a look at what repeaters are around you, and do some monitoring if you have a scanner. Listen around drive time, in the AM and PM and see where the action is.

As for the portable versus base versus mobile…
Portables are nice, but the low power can hold you back. Adding an external antenna is an option, but that gets old. Using a speaker mic can help a bit, but it makes for inconvenient use.
A base is nice, but only if you do all your operating from home. A good mobile radio with a 12 volt power supply and a good base antenna can work well.
Mobile is a good option if you are commuting or spend a lot of time in your vehicle.

I remember trying to pick my first radio. I went for a dual band hand held. I tried to get on a few nets, but I had trouble getting into repeaters. That created some frustration. I added a base antenna, and that helped. Second purchase was a mobile in my truck, which got a lot of use.

Dual band is nice, but again, take a look at what's used in your area. The dual band was nice for me, but in the end I really ended up only using the VHF side. The mobile I purchased was VHF only.

And remember, it's all about the antenna.

dorslv

My $0.02

I bought a kenwood tm-281a, alinco power supply dm-330mv to power it an elk antenna (2m/440) it's only VHF but works for me I can use it in car or home, currently sits at my bedside. Recently I purchased a kenwood ts-590sg, I've owned icom, yaesu yet I've found kenwood radios work for my needs. have fun on your journey... Dorian AC0SL

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I don't know what class of license you have or what privileges it carries, but if I was a new ham knowing what I know now, I would avoid 2 meters. It's the lowest common denominator in ham radio. Go for a nice used HF rig.

N4KVE

If you buy a HT, you can carry it with you, or use it in the car, and house. If you buy a mobile radio, you can use it in the car, or house if you own a 12 volt power supply, but you can not carry it with you. I would start with a Yaesu FT-60, & go from there. Personally I would avoid the $30 Dollar Store radios. Stick with Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, or Alinco.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I don't know what class of license you have or what privileges it carries, but if I was a new ham knowing what I know now, I would avoid 2 meters. It's the lowest common denominator in ham radio. Go for a nice used HF rig.

To the Op:

No problem with 2m around here. It would be foolish to simply ignore the 2m band based on one opinion of a particular geographical region.

The number one thing you can count on with amateur radio, everyone has a recommendation and they are correct. They are also wrong. If we all operated from the same location on the earth with the exact same equipment the opinions would still vary. Basically, experiment and have fun. There are many facets to amateur radio.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

2m is the backbone of amateur radio. That's where people contact you; where meetings are announced; where nets are conducted; where storm alerts are handled; and on and on. Personally, if I could only have one band, it would be 2m.

Golay

CCR's

If you buy a HT, you can carry it with you, or use it in the car, and house. If you buy a mobile radio, you can use it in the car, or house if you own a 12 volt power supply, but you can not carry it with you. I would start with a Yaesu FT-60, & go from there. Personally I would avoid the $30 Dollar Store radios. Stick with Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, or Alinco.

I understand I'll get flamed for this, but I like to recommend cheap "$30 Dollar Store radios" as a first radio. It lets the first time ham ascertain if they like the hobby enough to stay in it. The infamous Bullfrog UV-5R is not only under $30, but you can buy a car charger, mag mount and SMA to BNC adapter on Amazon, and still be under $50 for a total investment. Gets the newbie on the air, talking to other hamsters about what they are using on the air. Then if they decide they like the hobby, they will be making a more informed decision about what to get next.
And if they decide they don't like ham radio, they don't have a $170 handheld gathering dust.

Welcome to the Ham world!
I would either buy a used radio for my first one or the cheap Chinese radio as stated above. When I was thinking about becoming a ham operator I tried listening in on some 2 meter freqs to get a idea what they were talking about,radios,equipment,etc. I would spend a week or so just monitoring each club. I picked which club I wanted to join based on this. Keep in mind that usually in spring/summer the Ham fest start and you maybe able to find a good deal their. Some clubs have a swap net advertising some equipment. You definitely have to plan your purchases and all the extra pieces that you will need.

Brian
N3SGU

N8IAA

Don't know who you all are answering. The OP hasn't been on for over a month. Pretty sure he made his mind up.
Larry

SOFA_KING

Hmmm...Let's think about this for a minute. Do we want a bad first experience? Or do we really want to "experience" most of the true miracles this hobby has to offer? Garbage in/garbage out, so I would not waste my time (or money) with garbage...like cheap Chinese radios!

I say go for the "shack in a box" radio and get a good taste of almost everything. The Yaesu FT-991A, a fan dipole for HF (75 to 10 meters), and a Diamond Discone with a 6 meter (no coil 62 3/4" whip) element on top, will give you all modes (including Fusion digital) from 80 meters to 70 centimeters (3 MHz to 450 MHz) for the full experience. One radio...two antennas. For what you get, it's not that much money. And it's good stuff. You will be happy with what you can do. Plenty to learn, but that's the hobby. From there you can expand the operation out to other digital modes, or whatever, but you have a solid foundation. Don't play with junk. It will NOT be nearly as much fun. A good radio with two tuned broadband antennas gets the job done...and done well.

I believe a GOOD first experience will impress you enough to stick with the hobby. A bad experience may not.

Phil

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Don't know who you all are answering. The OP hasn't been on for over a month. Pretty sure he made his mind up.
Larry
Did you know that people other than the OP may search for the same and read this thread? The Internet is amazing, as well as your ability to presume they have made up their mind. ;) Lotto numbers please, thank you.

prcguy

I've had a lot of shack in the box radios and was always frustrated having to leave an HF net to ask a local a question on 2m or vice versa because the radio can only do one band at a time.

With a tiny bit more money and a slight side step to the Icom IC-7300 for HF and a separate 2m/440 rig the OP will get a world class HF rig compared to the Yaesu FT-991A and he will be able to monitor 2m or 440 simultaneously. I would also recommend a better antenna for VHF/UHF like a dual or triband Comet or Diamond.

Besides the OP never mentioned a budget and he could have been only looking at used handhelds for under $100 for all we know.
prcguy

Hmmm...Let's think about this for a minute. Do we want a bad first experience? Or do we really want to "experience" most of the true miracles this hobby has to offer? Garbage in/garbage out, so I would not waste my time (or money) with garbage...like cheap Chinese radios!

I say go for the "shack in a box" radio and get a good taste of almost everything. The Yaesu FT-991A, a fan dipole for HF (75 to 10 meters), and a Diamond Discone with a 6 meter (no coil 62 3/4" whip) element on top, will give you all modes (including Fusion digital) from 80 meters to 70 centimeters (3 MHz to 450 MHz) for the full experience. One radio...two antennas. For what you get, it's not that much money. And it's good stuff. You will be happy with what you can do. Plenty to learn, but that's the hobby. From there you can expand the operation out to other digital modes, or whatever, but you have a solid foundation. Don't play with junk. It will NOT be nearly as much fun. A good radio with two tuned broadband antennas gets the job done...and done well.

I believe a GOOD first experience will impress you enough to stick with the hobby. A bad experience may not.

Phil

K2NEC

I find it amusing that no one ever considers Motorola radio's. They are great, durable, and will last you years. Everyone just jumps to Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood. Sure they are a bit pricey but they will beat any Icom any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.