HRO transciever swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I go up to HRO to return a radio, can I get it swapped with a brand new one right in store? Or would I have to get a whole new one? And whats the period for in store swaps if that even is a thing?
I have a VX-6 I ordered from HRO online and I may go up to the store and have it swapped for a new one.
I do not have the original box handy. Any help would be appreciated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If I go up to HRO to return a radio, can I get it swapped with a brand new one right in store? Or would I have to get a whole new one? And whats the period for in store swaps if that even is a thing?
I have a VX-6 I ordered from HRO online and I may go up to the store and have it swapped for a new one.

This would probably be the best place to get your question answered....

https://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=9

Yeah I talked to them, I got a response of "Send your radio into Yaesu" or something to that effect. If I just want to go to switch my radio out with a new one i cant do that? (go to HRO to get a brand new one in switch with my used one)

N4KVE

So you want to buy a brand new radio, & see what they will offer you for your used one in trade. I don't think the HRO salesman understood that. He probably thought you wanted to exchange a new, but defective radio for another one. I can tell you from selling guns, you ALWAYS get more trading one in WITH the box, vs no box.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I never discard boxes and other materials whenever I buy a new radio. I only get rid of them when disposing of the radio either through a sale or trash... :lol:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
So, what's up with the radio? Is it still under warranty? What's the warranty say? Typically, a vendor will "repair or replace at their option". The repair part of the option typically calls for manufacturer repair of the item. If it's out of warranty, I'm sure they'll be pleased to sell you a replacement.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Using the phrase, "... can I get it swapped with a brand new one right in store?", isn't the best way to say what you want. Try saying you want to see if you can "...trade in...and buy.." a new radio.
Using the word "swapped" probably seemed to him just that.
Just saying......

ecps92

I would say put in a phone call to them, vs asking us here.

Only the folks at HRO are going to give you the true answer

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I would say put in a phone call to them, vs asking us here.

Only the folks at HRO are going to give you the true answer

This part.

Aside, if the radio is used and you've had it more than a month, expect to make a good, strong case for why they should replace it when the manufacturer is the one responsible for honoring the warranty not the retail store.

HRO has excellent customer service, but like any business, if one become a "difficult" and unreasonably demanding individual, one can expect to get pushed off to someone else and "follow policy".

Ask HRO. In a nice way, and have a solid argument for why they should take a used product and replace it with a new one at their expense when the manufacturer is the one who is responsible for the warranty.

K4EET

Chaplain

The VX-6R was released in 2005 according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaesu_VX_series#Specifications and was superseded by the VX-7(now out of production) and the current VX-8R transceiver. HudsonScannerGuy's HT is upwardly of 12 years old and way out of production.

Reading the OP's post over-and-over, I can only conclude that they in-fact do want to literally swap out a dead VX-6R for a new VX-8R; as incredulous as that sounds. To answer their question "And whats the period for in store swaps if that even is a thing?"; that would be up to the store manager at HRO and I would guess it might be as short as a week or less. Typically, if a radio fails within the warranty period, it has to go back to the factory and Yaesu then has the option to either repair or replace. But in this case, the warranty period is long gone.

HudsonScannerGuy, I believe your only options are:

1. Send the dead VX-6R to Yaesu for a repair estimate (which may have a cost involved)
  2. Once you have the repair estimate, decide whether to proceed or buy a new HT
  3. If you buy a new HT, shop around for the best price on a VX-8R or you may want to consider the newer digital HT, the FT-2DR.
Please help us understand what you are wanting to do and we'll see if we can help you out.

73, Dave K4EET

Actually the VX-6R is still sold and in production. The VX-8 series has already been discontinued.

As for HRO's return polices their site says they have a 10 day return window. It sounds like the OP's radio was outside of that window.

K4EET

Chaplain
Actually the VX-6R is still sold and in production. The VX-8 series has already been discontinued.

As for HRO's return polices their site says they have a 10 day return window. It sounds like the OP's radio was outside of that window.

Oh wow! I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

According to Yaesu's website at Welcome to Yaesu.com, the VX-3R, VX-6R and the VX-8DR are all listed as being current.

So geomagneticstorm seems to be correct. I guess we all just need for HudsonScannerGuy to come back and clarify exactly what he is attempting to do, how long he has had the VX-6R HT, etc.

73, Dave K4EET

twjr80

Feed Provider

It looks like you purchased the VX-6R back in June of this year (2017). If the radio is defective, call the New Hampshire store https://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=9 You can ask to speak to Barry since it was him who sold it to you. Tell them what is going on and why you want to either return or exchange. They can either tell you to contact Yaesu directly or they can send a return label or have UPS come and pick the item up to return to the HRO store.

Hans13

HudsonScannerGuy, here is my first and last experience with HRO...

I ordered a new mobile radio from them because my normal source was back ordered. The unit arrived with some black plastic shavings trapped between the LCD and the protective plastic window. Within an hour of receiving the radio, I called HRO and spoke with a manager. He told me that I could ship it back to them and they would send it to the manufacturer. I let him know that this was a review sample, purchased by a group member, for our radio group and, depending on if this model was suitable for our needs, we would be ordering several more. He didn't budge. When I mentioned just returning the radio, he offered some resistance. He was reluctant to help rectify the situation other than me sending the unit back to them and then wait on the manufacturer. HRO gets the mark-up. HRO could've exchanged the radio and waited for the manufacturer themselves. That was our radio group's first and last purchase from HRO.

twjr80

Feed Provider

I ordered a new mobile radio from them because my normal source was back ordered. The unit arrived with some black plastic shavings trapped between the LCD and the protective plastic window. Within an hour of receiving the radio, I called HRO and spoke with a manager. He told me that I could ship it back to them and they would send it to the manufacturer. I let him know that this was a review sample, purchased by a group member, for our radio group and, depending on if this model was suitable for our needs, we would be ordering several more. He didn't budge. When I mentioned just returning the radio, he offered some resistance. He was reluctant to help rectify the situation other than me sending the unit back to them and then wait on the manufacturer. HRO gets the mark-up. HRO could've exchanged the radio and waited for the manufacturer themselves. That was our radio group's first and last purchase from HRO.

For most businesses, a defective item would need to be returned first to make sure said item is defective before sending out a new one. I've dealt with people who have scammed computer businesses this way. They state they have a defective item, then demand the business to send a new one out to them. Once they get the new item, they do not send the "defective" item back.

Another issue arises when a simple full reset is just needed. You'd be surprised at how many customer's "defective" radios come back and all was needed was a full reset and the radio operates fine.

The return/exchange procedure may be up to individual store managers as to what to do.

N4KVE

That's how the business world operates. Even though you ordered the radio from HRO, the warranty is between you, & the MFR. Trying to "muscle" them by saying this is a review sample, & if you send me another one I'll buy 5 more doesn't do any good. Suppose they did give you a replacement radio. They would now send your original radio for repair, & when it comes back, it could NOT be sold as new, since you were the original owner. It would now have to be sold as a pre owned, or used radio at a loss. That's poor business. In my business, I deal with this every day. I encourage the customer to inspect the product before leaving the store, because the second they walk out the front door, we are out of the picture, & the MFR is now in the picture. Now if our tech can fix the problem in a few minutes, we will allow him to look at the item, & there will not be a charge. Anything more serious, & the MFR is the one to contact. This is the problem with an online purchase. You don't get to inspect the item before leaving the store. Welcome to big business.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I think you guys are eliding over the second sentence, which would lead me to believe that a 'previously owned' or perhaps 'store demo' radio was shipped to the poster:
The unit arrived with some black plastic shavings trapped between the LCD and the protective plastic window.
I cannot think of any other reason for finding "black plastic shavings" present... :confused:

Hans13

That's how the business world operates. Even though you ordered the radio from HRO, the warranty is between you, & the MFR. Trying to "muscle" them by saying this is a review sample, & if you send me another one I'll buy 5 more doesn't do any good.

Firsty, I didn't try to muscle anyone. I resent the implication. I was polite and professional. I told him that if it was just a personal radio, I wouldn't care about a little plastic between the shield and would just use. But, that was not the case as I had to convince a group not only of what to purchase but where as well. Also, he seemed really reluctant to just outright just take it back for a refund. We now purchase from our original supplier where such an issue is handled much better.

Suppose they did give you a replacement radio. They would now send your original radio for repair, & when it comes back, it could NOT be sold as new, since you were the original owner. It would now have to be sold as a pre owned, or used radio at a loss. That's poor business.

Many moons ago, I worked in retail and had my own shop. If something was defective out of the gate, returning it was not a problem. We didn't hem and haw.

In my business, I deal with this every day. I encourage the customer to inspect the product before leaving the store, because the second they walk out the front door, we are out of the picture, & the MFR is now in the picture. Now if our tech can fix the problem in a few minutes, we will allow him to look at the item, & there will not be a charge. Anything more serious, & the MFR is the one to contact. This is the problem with an online purchase. You don't get to inspect the item before leaving the store. Welcome to big business.

This was a shipped item, hence, "ship it back" was in my post. ;)

Hans13

I think you guys are eliding over the second sentence, which would lead me to believe that a 'previously owned' or perhaps 'store demo' radio was shipped to the poster:

I cannot think of any other reason for finding "black plastic shavings" present... :confused:

As far as I know, it was supposed to be new. The best I can figure, it was from the assembly process. Everything looked factory packed.

Frankly, if the manager hadn't been such a jerk from the word "Hello" I wouldn't have minded so much.

Hans13

For most businesses, a defective item would need to be returned first to make sure said item is defective before sending out a new one. I've dealt with people who have scammed computer businesses this way. They state they have a defective item, then demand the business to send a new one out to them. Once they get the new item, they do not send the "defective" item back.

Another issue arises when a simple full reset is just needed. You'd be surprised at how many customer's "defective" radios come back and all was needed was a full reset and the radio operates fine.

The return/exchange procedure may be up to individual store managers as to what to do.

I would have been more than happy to send it back, let them inspect it, then send another one. I even told him that and that I wouldn't mind if their tech opened it up and removed the plastic then shipped it back. He wasn't polite from the beginning and began complaining about shipping. He only wanted me to send it to the manufacturer and it seemed like he was going to really drag his heels on a refund if I returned it. I had the radio in my possession for less than an hour (they could've even checked with the carrier).

Status
Not open for further replies.