Yaesu: FT-70DR owners- ADMS 10 sucks :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4EMY

Sorry, but I have been trying to get it to work with my brand new FT-70DR and cannot program it. Any tricks using this horrible software from Yaesu? All I get is "time out" when I attempt to read the radio and I have tried multiple times and followed the directions to the letter.... ugh

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Sorry, but I have been trying to get it to work with my brand new FT-70DR and cannot program it. Any tricks using this horrible software from Yaesu? All I get is "time out" when I attempt to read the radio and I have tried multiple times and followed the directions to the letter.... ugh

Go and get yourself the RT Systems software. It works and is a really slick GUI. it’s about $45 or $50. Well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
FT-70DR owners- ADMS 10 sucks

Edit: ADMS 10 from Yaesu is the correct software.

RT Systems version for the FT-70 is ADMS-70D.

Spend the money for the RT Systems software. Far superior to any of the manufacturers software I have ever used.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

I did a little more looking into the FT70DR. I have one, but I don't use the Yaesu software. I tried, and then found out the cable that comes with the radio is just for firmware updates.

Instead of messing around and buying the Yaesu CT-27 cable I went for the RT Systems app and cable. Reviews were very high.

I think the Yaesu app is from RT Systems, however, it's features are a subset of what you can get from RT Systems.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber

Time out suggest a communication issue. Look in your system level device manager to identify the com port number your system see the radio on. Plug that into the programs setup configuration.

Mike

versusg

Premium Subscriber
Try this...

The FT-70r is tricky to program, you'd think Yaesu would make it easier.. Just plug in the program cable and done.. but, NO.. This video helped me get my radio into program mode.. Give it a try..

Also, the cable included with the radio is NOT just for firmware updates.. I program my radio using the Yaesu software with no program now.

https://youtu.be/ewJgkaXkTs4

KE0PKE

FT-70DR linking to ADMS software

I had a lot of trouble with the "timeout" error, as well. You can do this quite easily, although the very helpful YouTube video leaves out a critical step as outlined in the Yaesu ADMS software instructions; you must update the driver for the device/port. Make sure you follow the Yaesu instructions. When you go to "device manager" from the Com Port menu under "Communications" you are supposed to see a listing for "unknown device." I could not see such a listing despite numerous tries to plug and unplug the USB cable. Finally, I figured out that under "Ports" in Device Manager, I saw a new port listed. I updated this device using the ADMS software and changed the port setting to the one found and everything worked as advertised!

I was going to buy the software and cable and now I don't have to-at least at this point.

Many thanks to everyone on this thread for helping us newbies to get going!

jester1492

I agree, the ADMS-10 software leaves a lot to be desired.

The import function is extremely picky and when it fails it give no usable information regarding what caused the error. Additionally there is really no useful information regarding the various values in the columns or when a specific selection is appropriate. For example what is the correct selection if a repeater shows it uses a DCS tone for both transmit and receive as compared to a repeater that just uses a DCS tone for transmit. I ended up writing a program that took a .csv output file from repeaterbook and generates a file formatted for import into the FT70. During that process I found out, the import function tends to not like "unusual frequencies" (dont know what those are), the CTCSS frequency input must include 'Hz", the DCS column input must have a value, the bank function doesn't work unless at least the first channel has bank 24 selected, and the .csv file has a line for all the blank channels also.

All that said, the software can be used its just messy and if your time is valuable,you may want to use the RTS software (but I havent tried it so I cant say for certain).

The provided cable does support both channel programming and firmware updates. It does have some connectivity issues even with the current driver. And the data transfer process is overly complicated.

m1eyp

I just got my FT-70D today. What a super little radio.

I'm having difficulty with the Import Function - it fails the moment I try to launch it. I've been through the entire CSV file and checked everything - including everything set identified by Jester1492 above.

I wonder if Jester, or anyone else, would be kind enough to take a look at my CSV file to see if they can spot what I'm doing wrong?

I've had to attach it as a TXT file as this forum doesn't accept CSV.

Attachments

• FT-70D M1EYP.txt
    188.6 KB · Views: 229

m1eyp

I have now successfully managed to iron out all the bugs and got my data into the ADMS-10 software.

But then sending that to the radio - AAARGH!

Time outs and "Get"-ting data from the radio, no "Send" data available - greyed out. I have set everything up including drivers and COM ports exactly as per instructions.

m1eyp

Solved it! I noticed something on the screen - it was a tiny lock symbol! Of course the rig locks if you momentarily press the power button - so it's easy to do so accidentally.

Turning the lock off, meant that option to "Get" and "Send" between PC and rig all returned - and all working fine.

versusg

Premium Subscriber
Here's a link to programming the radio with the Yaesu software. You REALLY need to follow each step exactly to get it into program mode. I just don't understand why Yaesu has to make it so difficult to program it.

https://youtu.be/ewJgkaXkTs4

n2key

Push the Mode button

I was having the same "Time Out" issue, but you have to read the prompts carefully when you perform the download and upload from and to the radio. Push BAND when downloading and MODE when uploading.

KA9JYO

FT-70 programming

If you follow the instructions on the screen, it's easy. Works great!

SCPD

QRT
Yaesu FT-70R ADMS software with supplied cable

Yaesu told me you have to buy the expensive RT systems cable for my FT-70R .
$58.00 ?Seriously?

Easy as pie to program with the ADMS software........

1.Download the ADMS software off their site.
2.Install the FT70R driver for USB and ensure its installed via device manager
3.Make sure radio is ON.
4.Take off the battery.
5.Plug in the wall wart using USB cable supplied and press AMS button it will say ADMS on the display.
6.To Read the radio Press BAND button.
7.To send to the radio Press MODE button.
8.Thats right Yaesu,Im not buying the RT systems software!

Any issues check your USB port number.

SCPD

QRT
Battery off, use wall wart: Press AMS while powering on.
To Read the radio Press BAND button..
To send to the radio Press MODE button.

tdavich

Ft-70dr adms-10

I just got mine and had no issues as of now. What you need to check is the communications settings and what com port you are using. I had this issue when I first started out, but quickly realized it was a communication error. you also have to push the "band" or "AMS" and "mode" buttons fairly quickly. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

VA7TF

ADMS-10 sucks

I have been having nothing but troubles with the YAESU ADMS software. Everytime I download from the FT70DR, the speadsheet shows wrong frequencies, like 149.940 shows 146.94375, and on and on and on.

I emailed Yaesu and they suggested I put the step in AUTO and was possibly in 12.5 kHz steps in the FT70DR. WRONG!!, it was in AUTO. And, why should that matter at all?

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program... no different. The ADMS-10 is totally useless to me. They have super tech people working for them yet they can not write a proper program that works?

I keep relying back to the CHIRP program. It works PERFECTLY but does not have all the features, and it's FREE.

Status
Not open for further replies.