Yaesu: Best Mobile/Portable Base Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9DCH

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have a Technician license and a portable handheld radio (YAESU VX-5R) which has been great, but I would really like to set up a base station in my home.

Since I am currently unable to set up an antenna outside, I was thinking about getting a mobile unit with a magnetic antenna so I can use it inside my home.

What would be the best Mobile/Portable station, power supply and antenna I can set up inside my home? I am leaning towards the Yaesu brand since that is what I am used to and my Yaesu handheld radio has held up really well (14 years!)

My handheld is a Tri-Band (144/2m, 50/6m, 430/70cm), but all I am seeing are dual band (144/2m, 430/70cm) or quad band mobiles. I would like to be able to have VHF/UHF capabilities as well as listen to local police, fire, aviation, weather, etc, (Wideband?). I won't be doing any CW. I see that a lot of radios are analog and digital now?

I am considering the Yaesu Original FTM-100DR 144/430 C4FM Digital / FM Analog Dual Band Transceiver and the MFJ-1728B Magmount antenna, 6m/2m, 4ft, 12ft coax. Not sure about power supply?

Or would I be better off getting the Yaesu Original FTM-400XDR 144/430MHz Dual-Band Analog/Digital Mobile Transceiver System Fusion?

Or save up for a portable station like the Yausu FT-991A HF/50/140/430MHz All-Mode Field Gear Radio?

There is so much out there. I apologize, as I have been "out of the loop" for several years. I am a crazy busy mom of three little boys. Now that they are in school, I would really like to get back into "ragchewing" and listening in to what's going on locally.

I would love set up an antenna outdoors, however, I don't think the association in my town (Winfield, IL) will let me...

Thank you for you advice in advance! It is much appreciated!!
73'

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
What would be the best Mobile/Portable station, power supply and antenna I can set up inside my home? I am leaning towards the Yaesu brand since that is what I am used to and my Yaesu handheld radio has held up really well (14 years!)

My handheld is a Tri-Band (144/2m, 50/6m, 430/70cm), but all I am seeing are dual band (144/2m, 430/70cm) or quad band mobiles. I would like to be able to have VHF/UHF capabilities as well as listen to local police, fire, aviation, weather, etc, (Wideband?). I won't be doing any CW. I see that a lot of radios are analog and digital now?

I've had very good luck with my Alinco switching power supply. I've had no switching noise issues and it's lighter and easier to move around than my Astron. I use it for both my VHF/UHF and HF radios.

I also have a VX-5 handheld. It's performed well for many years. I've never used it on 6m, just 2m/440 and monitoring. The included antenna is just too short for useful 6m work.

Personally, I'd shy away from any of the Yaesu digital mode mobiles. I'm sure their build quality is just fine, but there still isn't anywhere near a standard for amateur digital. None of the digital modes from Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood or Alinco are interoperable, but plain old FM is. I'd give serious consideration to a plain vanilla analog FM dual band (144/440) radio and wait until the digital marketplace decides which way it's going to go (unless, of course, your radio friends have all committed to one digital mode or another).

All this being said, I don't think you will be happy with an inside antenna. Your radio performance will be hampered and there are RF exposure safety issues to consider with being in close proximity to a transmitter antenna. There have been plenty of discussions here on RR about stealthy outdoor antennas. You should really consider antenna placement first, then the radio.

KC5AKB

Lots of things you could do small power supply for the Ht
Attic mount a uhf vhf vertical or a hf dipole in the attic.
How close are the local repeaters ?
When you get enough posts feel free to pm me.
Be sure not to stress the antenna cone to on the ht.

Status
Not open for further replies.