Yaesu: Recommended Accessories For The Yaesu FT1XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, I am just wondering what accessories people here would suggest as being "must have" for the Yaesu FT1XD. I have had the radio for a while, but haven't used it a whole lot.

Right now, I am considering the following accessories:

-CD41 Rapid Charger

-FNB101LI Battery

-SHB13 Spring Loaded Belt Clips

-Replacement Antenna

Can anybody else here with experience using the Yaesu FT1XD suggest any other must have accessories? I will say that charging the battery with the OEM charger takes way too long, thus the desire for the CD41 Rapid Charger.

With regards to batteries, I have generally had a second battery for most portables that
I have owned and used.

I think the OEM batteries come with a non-spring loaded belt clip. I do prefer the spring loades type, thus the desire for a couple of those.

I did a separate post on the replacement antenna. The OEM antenna seems underwhelming. So far, I have been eyeing up a Diamond SRH77CA. I do need to verify that this is compatible with the Yaesu FT1XD, however.

CQ

As posted above, I am just wondering what accessories people here would suggest as being "must have" for the Yaesu FT1XD. I have had the radio for a while, but haven't used it a whole lot.

Right now, I am considering the following accessories:

-CD41 Rapid Charger

-FNB101LI Battery

-SHB13 Spring Loaded Belt Clips

-Replacement Antenna

Can anybody else here with experience using the Yaesu FT1XD suggest any other must have accessories? I will say that charging the battery with the OEM charger takes way too long, thus the desire for the CD41 Rapid Charger.

With regards to batteries, I have generally had a second battery for most portables that
I have owned and used.

I think the OEM batteries come with a non-spring loaded belt clip. I do prefer the spring loades type, thus the desire for a couple of those.

I did a separate post on the replacement antenna. The OEM antenna seems underwhelming. So far, I have been eyeing up a Diamond SRH77CA. I do need to verify that this is compatible with the Yaesu FT1XD, however.

I have an FT2DR which shares some of the accessories. The CD-41 is a must have for sure as well as at least one other battery. I would go with a higher capacity battery though. The FNB-102LI is an 1800mAh part but may be hard to find. The FNB-101LI and the larger one have some Vertex in them and made in Japan. They came out with the SBR-14LI 2200mAh with a yuge spring loaded clip (the others are not) but my markings are made in china and no Vertex marking on it.

GigaParts seems to have better pricing on them now compared to other reputable Ham stores.
https://www.gigaparts.com/

I like the FBA-39 which is a 3 x AA case and leave that in place (usually empty) when running off of DC ( E-DC-6). If I'm using Wires-X off my node then I use LSD rechargeables with a Comet SMA-501 and run L1 power which is under 100mW and lasts a bit. I also have the MH-34B4B speaker/microphone which is okay but a little on the tinny side. If you're taking it mobile then the DC adapter SDD-13 is also something good to have.

I would not go for the camera/microphone MH-85A11U since you can't even see the very low 320x240 resolution pictures unless you were using an FTM-400 or FT2 (gray). It also takes FOREVER to transfer those pics. It was a good idea but not practical; you can't even frame a shot to aim...point and pray. I guess if you were doing field work it may work but be prepared to wait and have to re-transmit them.

I wouldn't go buying everything you can find unless you really want/need. It was nice being able to mix and match items between HTs I have but Yaesu came out with new underwhelming models that don't share any batteries. BTW - that HT is EOL

Do enjoy it and take advantage of Fusion.

Last edited:

ke6gcv

You may want to look at the FNB-102Li+ from BATTERIES AMERICA. I've used their batteries before when I had my VX-7s and have excellent performance from them. I'm due to replace my FT1DR battery soon and will be ordering a battery from them. I will also be ordering a spring-loaded belt clip. And yes... I fully recommend a drop-in quick charger.

I'm a proponent of speaker/mics. I don't have the camera model either. That is overkill for me. Besides, I don't have any System Fusion repeaters that are remotely close to where I live. So... It's fruitless to even buy something that I can't use.

Though I've not purchased any antennas, I've received a couple of suggestions for a different model of radio I own that has the same connector. They are: Nagoya NA-701, Diamond SRH815S, and Diamond SRH77CA. Though I prefer shorter antennas like the Maldol MH-511 or of similar size, the suggested ones I received look to be promising contenders.

Hope this helps!

ke6gcv

... I like the FBA-39 which is a 3 x AA case and leave that in place (usually empty) when running off of DC ( E-DC-6). If I'm using Wires-X off my node then I use LSD rechargeables with a Comet SMA-501 and run L1 power which is under 100mW and lasts a bit. I also have the MH-34B4B speaker/microphone which is okay but a little on the tinny side. If you're taking it mobile then the DC adapter SDD-13 is also something good to have...

Ah! Yes, the alkaline battery case! (At least... That's what I call it.) Completely forgot about that!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
- Yes on the rapid charger, it makes a difference. Plus you can charge a single battery without the radio in it. (Wow, there are a few bad reviews on eHam about this charger. I have not had any trouble.)

- I prefer the Diamond 320A antenna. Tri-band but prefer it over the SRH77CA. (I have both). Typically I use a smaller antenna (SRH-519), but when I am really remote the 320A is used.

- Yes on getting a second battery w/spring. Makes it so easy to attach/hold. Batteries America sells the spring by itself extras are needed.

- Microphone - This depends on you. I have a standard (non camera) mic.

- I have the AA battery case, but I do not often use it. It is nice to have though. I believe you can only TX on L1 or L2 though. It is better suited for listening.

Two items missing from your list:
- 12v car DC cable (EDC-5B) - Recharge or power the radio when away from home
- Radio case - It is a snug fit but I like it. Not a problem for me to remove it when swapping batteries.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Drop In Charger

I thought I was all set to order the drop in charger, but I ran across some more confusing information.

My FT1XD came with the SAD-18B. Will that work with the CD-41 or do I need a different wall charger for the CD-41?

Also, will the commercial Standard Horizon CD15A Desk Top Rapid Rate Charger Adapter by Yaesu charger the FT1XD batteries?

ke6gcv

I thought I was all set to order the drop in charger, but I ran across some more confusing information.

My FT1XD came with the SAD-18B. Will that work with the CD-41 or do I need a different wall charger for the CD-41?

Also, will the commercial Standard Horizon CD15A Desk Top Rapid Rate Charger Adapter by Yaesu charger the FT1XD batteries?

The CD-15A is for a completely different Yaesu HT model - the now discontinued VX series of HTs. Those batteries are of a completely different design.

The SAD-18B will work with the CD-41 drop-in charger.

Last edited:

k6cpo

A speaker mic was mentioned in a previous post, but I found something better. It's a dedicated single-sided headset and boom microphone made by Heil.

The original FT1DR has really crappy audio from the internal speaker. I have to turn mine up to at least 20 to be able to hear anything, but with the Heil HTH-Y (for Yaesu) I have to turn the volume down to 10 or less or run the risk of being deafened. When the headsets were first released, a friend and I used them at the MCAS Miramar Air Show with San Diego ARES. When we returned to the trailer, the net control operator told us we had the best audio of anyone else on the net. Additionally, the headsets are a bargain at $29.00 MSRP.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014155

CaptainBDSC

Confirmed?

The CD-15A is for a completely different Yaesu HT model - the now discontinued VX series of HTs. Those batteries are of a completely different design.

The SAD-18B will work with the CD-41 drop-in charger.

Hi,

I wondered if the SAD-18B would work with the CD-41 as well.
The strange thing is that the little pamphlet/manual that comes with the CD-41 doesn't list the SAD-14B/SAD-18B as acceptable power sources. But if you read down in the specs section it says that for the USA version it takes 10.5-16V and apprx 0.600mA. the SAD-18B is 10.5V 1A. So, in theory, it meets the power requirements.
Further in the FT2DR manual it shows that you can use the SAD-14B power supply with the CD-41, and the SAD-18B replaced the SAD-14B. so... kind of conflicting information.

Now, with that said, I have used the SAD-18B with the CD-41 and it worked, at least the first time, and the second time, sorta. The first time it charged and the light turned solid green, and it was charged. The second time the light turned red when docked and charging, but when it got done charging it turned to blinking red instead of solid green. Weird! Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.