Yaesu: Unhappy YAESU FT-8900 - flashing busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

davecason

Hi Folks,

I just powered up my FT-8900R in the truck and no joy !!

When I powered it up, the radio started up normally but then both sides of the radio started showing the two busy channel indicators flashing on both sides of the radio.

I can’t TX on either side of the radio but I am able to hop back and forth between the two sides of the radio. The TX light tries when I key the mic but I’m not transmitting I think. I also did a FACTORY RESET - ALL, and still no luck but of course now all the programming is gone.

I found a YouTube video with a guy having the same problem as mine from 2013 but there’s no answers, tips, or suggestions to him. He said he is going to send the radio to Yaesu for service but didn’t follow up with what happened.

Has anyone out there seen or heard of this happening before?

Cheers’
Dave Cason
VE6DED

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
In something like this, I check all connections: battery connections, fuses, microphone attachments, antenna. I am no electrical engineer, so I test basics first. Remove microphone and see if helps. With the minus 30'C weather we had could be a broken wire somewhere.

davecason

Done and gone .....

Hi Robert!

Long see no time and all that .....

Yep, did all that and it is no more, it has ceased to be ! (grin)
I stuffed the beasty into a box and sent it to Yeasu in California for a vacation.

I was talking to Endaf down there and the tech's figure the radios PLL power supply resister is not happy. (that means burnt) So hopefully we're talking only a few week and and $70 bucks USD but time will tell!?

I'll post what happens and what went on when I get it back!

Cheers'
Dave

davecason

Oh yea ....

Sorry for got to update the thread ......

Endaff got the radio down at Yeasu USA .....they tossed it on the bench and NFF !!

NO FAULT FOUND ..... the little bugger was happy as a clam!

Oh they boxed it back up and sent it back, I grabbed it put it on my bench and the
bugger started up happy as as hell. Who knows? Maybe it just wanted to go on
an adventure .....

Since then reloaded the RT programming and its back in the truck and happy.

PRETTY WEIRD !

Cheers'
Dave

FKimble

If it was cold when you had the problem, maybe you hit it with a static shock from your body. Done that once to a Kenwood 281. Lost config to the mem chan it was sitting on. Took awhile to figure out that the offset had flipped. When trying to transmit, I would see the freq change but never noticed the direction until I went to another chan with same repeater programed in and realized the tx offset was different! Reprogramed the offset direction and all was good again.

Frank KK4YTM

Status
Not open for further replies.