20 Meters Sets Off CO Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hello, folks. Here's an odd one. HOA rules mean that the multiband dipole is in the attic. When I work 20 meters from my shack in the basement I set off the CO detector !! I don't think I have a grounding problem since its only 20 meters that causes this. Thinking of writing to the manufacturer but thought I'd try this forum first. Thanks everyone!

Thayne

Not surprising with that many watts; I have tripped GFCI breakers with a 5 watt UHF portable from 2 ft away, and many car alarms from 10 ft away.
Consumer electronics of all types are not sophisticated enough (because of cost issues) to always do only what they are supposed to do. Even CB radios got into TV's in the old days; and a ham running a KW would probably get into almost anything.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any signs of RF coming back into your shack from the antenna. If so you could try a 1:1 isolation choke at the feed point of the antenna. Or just go buy another brand of CO detector and hope that one does not have the same issue with RF as the one you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.