Getting my first mobile: VHF or UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkdean

I am looking to buy a mobile for my vehicle (looking at either a Motorola XPR4550 or XPR5550) and I’m not sure whether to get VHF or UHF. My thought on a VHF is that I would be better covered across the bands, as I already have a UHF portable (Motorola XPR7550). But my thought on a UHF is that most of the repeaters I use are UHF. I’ve looked at some Yaesu dual band mobiles but from what I can find, they are pretty limited on the TX frequency range. Does anyone know of some dual band mobiles that have a larger frequency range? So those are my thoughts, what are you guys’ thoughts?

KE4EVL

Dual band... then you have both. If you are really only set on having one band, go VHF 2m. Seems there is more traffic on VHF.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
If most of the repeaters you use are UHF, then go UHF. Also, if you are looking at getting into DMR (which is looks like you might be with the XPR) then UHF is a no-brainer, as the majority of DMR repeaters are UHF.

If you are not interested in DMR, and are only planning on using analog, then it might make sense to just get a dual bander.

I’ve looked at some Yaesu dual band mobiles but from what I can find, they are pretty limited on the TX frequency range.

They cover the respective ham bands in their entirety. What exactly are you looking to do, cover GMRS as well or something? Not sure what you mean by the limited TX range.

jkdean

I appreciate the replies so far. I'm a relatively new ham so I'm just now getting my own equipment (vs. borrowing the club's).

I should've explained more that the majority of what I do is in fact DMR, so it seems that a UHF mobile is probably the best route to go. I think I might look at getting a Yaesu dual band handheld (FT-65R) that way I still have VHF coverage.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to hearing any other thoughts.

KE8HXI

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If you limit yourself to equipment intended primarily for commercial use, then dual-band capability will be hard to find. There aren't many Part 90 licenses that require dual-band operation. Have you looked at the Connect Systems CS-800D or TYT MD-9600? Both offer dual band and DMR. And yes.... they're not Motorola radios.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
In a practical sense, the choice of VHF vs UHF should probably depend on your primary area of interest. If your main interest is analog, I would expect that a VHF rig would be best. In most areas, there seem to be more analog VHF repeaters than UHF repeaters. If, on the other hand, your main interest is DMR, it appears that there are many more DMR repeaters operating on UHF than there are on VHF.

Of course... your mileage may vary for numerous other reasons. Consider all the factors before you buy.

- John AC4JK

K2NEC

It all comes down to personal preference. For example I have almost no VHF repeaters near me but tons of UHF repeaters so I would go for a UHF. However as others have stated it depends on what you are using it for and your area.

SCPD

QRT
Listen on a scanner search 145-147.995 MHZ and 440-449.975 and see where the most activity is in your area.
My opinion get a DMR,DSTAR or FUSION radio this way you always have someone to talk to.

KC3ECJ

When I was out in Michigan a couple years ago I found a good group of simplexers on FM 2 meters to chat with in the Coldwater to Marshal area.

majoco

Stirrer
Why not ask around in your club to find what radios they use instead of getting a commercial radio which is unlikely to be suitable for the purpose - talking to other hams. If you do need a commercial band radio, then get it separately. Ham band radios are liable to be a lot cheaper as long as you avoid the CCR junk, a good Kenwood or Yaesu dual bander with the bells and whistles will be far more useful.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I’ve looked at some Yaesu dual band mobiles but from what I can find, they are pretty limited on the TX frequency range. Does anyone know of some dual band mobiles that have a larger frequency range? So those are my thoughts, what are you guys’ thoughts?

Huh? The ham radios cover the UHF transmit frequencies available for ham use (VHF, too, for that matter). That should be enough. I'd get the dual band. More versatility but not that much more money.

Buttabean

My Dual Bander

I am looking to buy a mobile for my vehicle (looking at either a Motorola XPR4550 or XPR5550) and I’m not sure whether to get VHF or UHF. My thought on a VHF is that I would be better covered across the bands, as I already have a UHF portable (Motorola XPR7550). But my thought on a UHF is that most of the repeaters I use are UHF. I’ve looked at some Yaesu dual band mobiles but from what I can find, they are pretty limited on the TX frequency range. Does anyone know of some dual band mobiles that have a larger frequency range? So those are my thoughts, what are you guys’ thoughts?

I had to decide this also so i went with whats pictured below.

Attachments

• 30741079_2280818715265279_3506403470729019392_o.jpg
    30741079_2280818715265279_3506403470729019392_o.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 161

KE0GXN

I'm a relatively new ham so I'm just now getting my own equipment (vs. borrowing the club's).
KE8HXI

Nobody on here would know your area better than "the club". I am sure they could advise you better than us. :confused:

With that said, I personally would never buy anything less than a dual-band capable radio. Why limit yourself to one band? Especially if you ever have plans of traveling out of your area with the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.