Missing info on new mobile radios's for Data Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of some cheaper mono band VHF radios that came with a data port. Some might use the port for a TNC, but I would need it to connect Raspberry pi, and Arduino APRS devices.
Sure I could use the microphone port, and external speaker connection, but that is not the way I want to go.

As I looked at specifications of Alinoc, Kenwood, and some other radios, the one thing they mostly don't tell you, especially on the cheaper radios, is if there is a data port. Some that say they have a data port, don't tell you mush about it, and the really expensive radios mention either 9600, and some up to 1200 baud packet.

It is beyond me whey they would put a data port on radios, and not put it in the specifications of the radio. Sure, I could keep searching the web for clues, but I am sure there is a person who has been keeping track, and knows which radios, old or new that are desirable for hams who tinker with interfacing projects.

So far, I see that one web site shows you how to add a data port to a Kenwood TM-281, 80 watt 2M mobile. The sad part is that I have to buy it new, then void the warranty by drill holes in the back, and soldering wires all over the circuit board. I'd rather not void the warranty., and buying it used, well, some hams think that asking for a price higher than new is ok for a used radio. My guess is that they want to sell to non-hams who are preppers. Who else would pay premium prices for a radio that you can buy new for much less?

Thanks for any input on this.

73' Joe

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not aware of any currently produced single-band amateur radios that have a data port except for the Alinco DR-x35T series. They have a DB-9 connector on the back that allows access to PTT, squelch, RX audio, and TX audio.

I've asked representatives from some of the Japanese manufacturers about this and they respond with an answer along the lines of "not enough people ask for that feature and we are trying to hold down the price of these single-band radios".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are going to use it for APRS, then you might want to look at a used Motorola, Kenwood or Icom radio.

Those radios have connectors on them that will easily allow interfacing external devices, including detector output pins, mic in, PTT, etc.
The Motorola's use the 16 pin connectors,
Kenwood often uses DB-25 or DB-15 on newer radios.
I don't recall what Icom commercial radios use.
But either way, it's exceedingly easy to interface data communications equipment to these radios, they are natively designed for it.

As for programming, some of the older radios are easier to get software for, sometimes free.
Or, find an online seller that will program the radio for APRS frequency and set up the input the way you need.
You can easily find suitable radios in the $50 range on e-Bay.

I've got an old Motorola GM-300 VHF that is sitting in my garage waiting for an APRS setup.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
If you are going to use it for APRS, then you might want to look at a used Motorola, Kenwood or Icom radio.

Those radios have connectors on them that will easily allow interfacing external devices, including detector output pins, mic in, PTT, etc.
But either way, it's exceedingly easy to interface data communications equipment to these radios, they are natively designed for it...

Vertex LMR radios also have either DB-9 or DB-15 connectors on most of their mobiles also.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

But either way, it's exceedingly easy to interface data communications equipment to these radios, they are natively designed for it.

As for programming, some of the older radios are easier to get software for, sometimes free.
Or, find an online seller that will program the radio for APRS frequency and set up the input the way you need.
You can easily find suitable radios in the $50 range on e-Bay.

I've got an old Motorola GM-300 VHF that is sitting in my garage waiting for an APRS setup.

Argent Data has a Motorola 16 pin to amateur mini-DIN adapter.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Regarding repurposing old LMR radios... I have a packet digipeater that uses an Icom IC-F1020 that I bought used over 20 years ago. It can't be narrow-banded so it's perfect for amateur radio use. Icom sells a pigtail that plugs into the radio's circuit board that brings out PTT, squelch, RX audio, TX audio, and ground.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
Regarding repurposing old LMR radios... I have a packet digipeater that uses an Icom IC-F1020 that I bought used over 20 years ago. It can't be narrow-banded so it's perfect for amateur radio use. Icom sells a pigtail that plugs into the radio's circuit board that brings out PTT, squelch, RX audio, TX audio, and ground.

I see that the icom frequency range starts at 146 mhz, are they able to get down to 144? Do they need retuning of any type to get it to work on the APRS frequency?

AK9R

Super Moderator
Mine required no retuning to operate on 144.390 when I had it up as an APRS digipeater. The power output may have been down a bit from specifications, but I didn't need a flamethrower to be an effective digipeater.

cmdrwill

The Kenwood V 71 and D710 have combination data ports, With inputs for low and high speed audio for TX and filtered high and low speed outputs from the receiver. So do some Alinco radios.

I make my own 'data' connections for the radios that do not have 'Data ports' like commercial radios, Motorola ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.