Yaesu: Voice announce: Why isnt it in the newer HT's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at the commercial radios, ie big M radios and I see they have voice announce as a programming option. So why don't the newer Yaesu radios have em? It would be a good option for disabled hams, and if you have your radio in a holster/radio strap and dont want to look down you can hear what channel your on when you select it. I think it would be possible to do it in firmware, most likely. Your guys' thoughts?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
It has been available in a very few ham radios in the past, but I don't think most hams used it. It is a help for the visually impaired.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
That feature IS available on different "pricier" amateur radios. For example, on the Icom D-Star ID-51 series, you can hold down the SPCH button and it will announce the current channel.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Limited use. I like for a mobile environment but commercially I typically only ever see it used to announce the zone. Working field events, it's handy on a portable on a per channel basis (operating in the same zone).

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Have it on a 710 but have it turned so low can't hear it. As stated, it seemed OK for a while but then it became irritating. Agree for visually impaired it is a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.