HT with controls on remote mic? (Back Country Access BC Link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuren

I'm active in downhill skiing, particularly some backcountry travel, and when I was looking at some gear, I came across this radio:

https://backcountryaccess.com/product/two-way-radios-bc-link/

I found it interesting that you can control almost everything on the radio, including on/off, from the mic. This is a GMRS/FRS radio, but I was wondering if there is a manufacturer that does something similar with an amateur HT? I'm gaining traction with some guys in my group to get their Tech licenses, so we could start using better gear than FRS bubble-pack radios. Having a good radio in my pack (with antenna extending out) with a mic on my backpack strap that allows me to turn the radio on/off, adjust volume, change channels (even pre-programmed channels like the BC Link), etc. would be sweet!

Mobil amateur radios come close (my Yaesu FT-7900 has controls on the mic) but I don't think I've ever seen an HT with controls on the mic.

Thanks!

tdeater

Yaesu had a remote control speaker mic for some of their portables years ago. Not sure if they still do or not. I owned a FT-51 with the MH-29 mic years ago. It was a nice radio. I still see them for sale on line every once in a while.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Here is about as close as you will get most likely (this is from the commercial realm).
SJa3NUN.jpg

Channel knob, volume control and emergency functionality.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Considering some of the new HT's are quite small and also waterproof, clipping it to your pack/shoulder harness might be a good option.
It adds the benefit of getting the antenna up higher and away from the body, which will improve performance.

zuren

Considering some of the new HT's are quite small and also waterproof, clipping it to your pack/shoulder harness might be a good option.
It adds the benefit of getting the antenna up higher and away from the body, which will improve performance.

Yeah, clipping to the straps is definitely an option, but I was trying to limit the amount of clutter I have attached to my body that could interfere with each other. When traveling in avalanche country, I'm wearing a chest harness that contains my avalanche beacon along with a backpack; my chest area is already getting a little short on space. I could look into a different chest rig that the radio and beacon could attach.

Looks like the Yaesu FT-51R was also compatible with the MH-29 mic, but both seem to be rare these days.

KB7MIB

Yeah, clipping to the straps is definitely an option, but I was trying to limit the amount of clutter I have attached to my body that could interfere with each other. When traveling in avalanche country, I'm wearing a chest harness that contains my avalanche beacon along with a backpack; my chest area is already getting a little short on space. I could look into a different chest rig that the radio and beacon could attach.

There's at least a couple of dual-radio chest harnesses out there. Coaxsher DR-1. True North Gen 2 dual-radio. Conterra Double Adjusta Pro II. And others I'm sure. They should easily hold a radio and a personal locater/avalanche beacon.

John
Peoria

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Kenwood TH-F6, TH-D72, and TH-D74 all support the Kenwood SMC-34 speaker mic. The SMC-34 has three buttons and a volume control on the speaker mic. The radios can be programmed, within limits, to do different functions when the buttons are pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.