passing DTMF tones through a repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7WXW

GM - I am putting together two packet gateways, one for APRS and another for Winlink, with two radios. The gateways will be housed alongside an existing repeater. The system includes DTMF decoder and relays to control power to each radio (and perhaps other functions later on).

To simplify things, I'd like to take an audio output from the repeater and route it to the DTMF decoder. Bascially, I will use the repeater input frequency to send DTMF control tones to the decoder.

Is there any FCC reg that prevents (or regulates) passing DTMF tones through the repeater and using them to control a different piece of equipment? If so, can someone point me to it?

Thanks and 73 de Bill K7WXW

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Many repeaters are controlled using DTMF tones. In order to maintain some level of security around the repeater control codes, many repeater controllers mute the DTMF tones so that they don't go out over the output frequency.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Is there any FCC reg that prevents (or regulates) passing DTMF tones through the repeater and using them to control a different piece of equipment?

No.

There are no regulatory constraints, but there might be technical constraints, depending on the particular repeater. If the repeater is yours, the technical constraints can be dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.