Yaesu: Yaesu FT-8900R difficulty receiving NOAA frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOABADKARMA

I am new to the forum and I hope I have placed this in the correct category. I have run into an issue where the NOAA frequencies are not being received on my FT-8900R. Even though I am currently residing in a valley, I am able to receive the NOAA frequencies on both of my HT's, a Yaesu VX-8DR and Baofeng UVR5.

My mobile setup is a Yaesu FT-8900R with a Diamond CR8900A antenna and I am using RT Systems (software version 5.00.07) to handle the programming. I have enclosed a screenshot of my settings and any input would be appreciated greatly.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 438

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hard to read as it's too small.
But when I zoom in, it -looks- correct.
From what I can make out, you have your channels set to FM Narrow. NOAA is still running wide, but that shouldn't impact your reception.

If it works on your hand held radios, but not the mobile/base, then I'd suspect some issue with your antenna and/or feed line. If you can, plug one of your hand held radios into the same antenna as the 8900 and see what happens.
If you have sufficient adapters, try temporarily hooking up one of the hand held antennas to the 8900 and see if that works.

jhooten

Yes, change from FM narrow to FM.

Look at menu item #32 and make sure the RF squelch is not set to high. The squelch knob on the front panel is a noise squelch.

DOABADKARMA

Thanks for the input so far. I don't have any adapters (yet) to test on one of my HT's. The squelch is set to off for each side in the programmer. I will try adjusting the squelch knob sensitivity on my way to work and see if it helps.

DOABADKARMA

I ran the squelch knob to zero and I can hear a VERY faint transmission through the static so now I am thinking I need to buy a VSWR Meter so I can tune it to the optimal frequency.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
One of the necessary equipment an amateur should have or be able to borrow is a good meter. that is the first thing that should be used before transmitting. One that reads how the coax is not just SWR.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
A SWR meter will only help you tune the antenna when transmitting on amateur radio frequencies. It wont help with receiving, especially outside the amateur bands, for that you need an antenna analyzer.

Was just reading the owners manual for the antenna, it has multiple traps on it to cover 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm. At 148 MHz, SWR is roughly 1.5 and sharply climbing. Its possible because of the traps, reception of NOAA NWR isn't possible.

If its not the antenna design, make sure the antenna is properly grounded. A bad ground can completely eliminate the ability to receive signals. Are you able to hear local ham radio repeaters?

DOABADKARMA

I can receive and send on the other bands without any issues. It usually sounds like they are right next door, pretty much perfect. Thank you for the input.

jhooten

Something I forgot to ask earlier. Look at the package for the CR-8900. Is there a big red box that says US BAND SPLITS or something to that effect. If not you will never get it tuned right.

The CR-8900 with the US band splits, mounted as recommended in the instructions is pretty much a no tune antenna. I'm on my fourth vehicle with mine and have never had to make any adjustments.

DOABADKARMA

The packaging is long gone but I'm going to trust you on that one since I'm in the US. Good to know, I always have my HT on me anyways but what started me down this road was redundancy and being able to hear the same thing across all of my radios. Not to complicate the issue but my FT-8800 receives 6 out of 7 of the NOAA frequencies in L.A. and now I'm assuming that it is due to the antenna. Thanks for the advice everyone.

DOABADKARMA

Is it possible to hook up a dual band antenna (like I have on my other car using the FT-8800) and use it with the same radio at the same time? So as to receive the NOAA signals on the 8900?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure I follow you.

Are you asking if it's OK to hook up two radios to one antenna?

Answer, yes, but DO NOT TRANSMIT with either radio. If you want to be able to transmit, you'll either nee two separate antennas, or some expensive/large filtering gear.

DOABADKARMA

Sorry, the question was poorly worded. Can I use two antenna's on one radio? I see several drivers in L.A. using more than one antenna on their car but I've always assumed it was due to multiple radios in the car.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sorry, the question was poorly worded. Can I use two antenna's on one radio? I see several drivers in L.A. using more than one antenna on their car but I've always assumed it was due to multiple radios in the car.

It would require power dividers designed for the bands/frequencies you were working on. Since you were talking about a dual band radio, it's not easy/cheap, and in reality, it doesn't gain you much. One properly installed antenna, tuned for the frequencies you are using, is the way to go.

Some truckers use dual CB Antennas. They can improve performance since the phasing harness that connects the two antennas to the one radio properly divide power and keep the impedance presented to the radio at 50Ω. Done right, this creates an antenna radiation pattern that favors in front of and behind the truck. Great for simplex highway use.
But that sort of antenna pattern will not necessarily help you on the amateur radio bands. With repeaters that are not necessarily along the road, it's better to use one antenna set up for an omni-directional pattern.

Like I said above, one antenna permanently installed in the center of the cab roof is really an ideal solution.

FKimble

Noticed you only have 3 NOAA stations listed. Put in all 8 or 10 stations, you may have entered ones that are outside your reception area. Using a 2m only Diamond 6.5 gain antenna on a tower 46 ft high, I can only receive just over half of the NOAA stations.

Frank KK4YTM

DOABADKARMA

I just had that there for a reference, I have all 7 frequencies programmed to the radio. In L.A. I can receive 6 out of the 7 and when I'm in Washington State, 2 come in real strong and a third is hit and miss.

majoco

Stirrer
Was just reading the owners manual for the antenna, it has multiple traps on it to cover 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm. At 148 MHz, SWR is roughly 1.5 and sharply climbing. Its possible because of the traps, reception of NOAA NWR isn't possible.
You've got it round the wrong way - traps block the trap tuned frequency to make a quarter wavelength or whatever - if the reception is not one of the trap frequencies, then you have the whole length of the antenna plus a bit of inductance from the now untuned traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.