Yaesu: FT-70DR No Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmontgom

I purchased the FT-70DR a couple of months ago and recently bought the MH-34 speaker/microphone. Everything was working fine until yesterday when I noticed I was not getting any audio out of the radio unless I plug in the speaker/microphone. Scan will stop on active frequencies but there is no speaker output. I'm suspecting the connector is stuck and thinks there is an external speaker plugged in, but I do not know this for sure. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

FKimble

i TEND TO AGREE WITH YOUR DIAGNOSIS. This is a common problem on cheap HT's but I would expect better on the Yaesu. Could be something else but I wouldn't bet on it. Sounds like time for a trip back to the mothership or just designate it for speaker mike duty.

Frank KK4YTM

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Using a can of compressed air, gently blow out the speaker-mic connector. Sometimes lint or dirt can get in there and cause issues. Cycle the connector a few times to see if you can get it cleared. Contact cleaner might be a good option, but I'd be cautious about spraying that inside the radio.

but, yeah, these sorts of things happen.

cmdrwill

Using a can of compressed air, gently blow out the speaker-mic connector. Sometimes lint or dirt can get in there and cause issues. Cycle the connector a few times to see if you can get it cleared. Contact cleaner might be a good option, but I'd be cautious about spraying that inside the radio.

but, yeah, these sorts of things happen.

Exactly, bad switch in the speaker / mic jacks' speaker jack.

mrmontgom

I blew canned air in there and looked at it thru the microscope. Nothing appears odd. Pulled the battery and used a probe to press on the contacts. Everything seemed springy (that's a technical term). I did get a crackle out of it a couple of times this morning while giving a jolt. Now I'm wondering if it might be the speaker connection that is intermittent. I sent a service request on the Yaesu site but have not heard back from them. I hesitate to crack the case open until they have their say.

Thank you all. It's pretty irritating to have my new radio for a month, just took my tech test over the weekend, and will be hamstrung from the start once I get my call sign.

SCPD

QRT
Have you tried Blueshower electrical cleaner on the microphone slot?
If not you probably have to replace the mic connector inside the radio.....or the speaker....send it back!
I had this radio and returned it also for the poor battery performance 3 days old and charged meant Dead.battery....how odd..charged it again and it worked...then dead then I got fed up and traded it for a ftm-100dr.

Status
Not open for further replies.