Icom: Icom IC-Q7E

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
I have a Icom IC-Q7E that I am wanting to program.
I have the WCS-Q7 Programming Software & USB 57A Cable.
But I cant get the software to communicate with the radio.
The error message is, "Not Responding, Could not find a valid baud rate"
I know how this should work as I have a Wouxun handheld & program that in the same way.
Has anyone been down this road & could shed some light?
I have also emailed the software people & are waiting to hear back.

Fast1eddie

Not knowing the software manufacturer, I can only say experiment with different settings. If it is Butel, well, I wish you the best. I have a Icom R3 and the Butel software for it and get nothing but clone errors. Software trouble shooting advises a faulty interface, but I strongly disagree. Because it can read the R3's contents, then how can it be faulty????

I have found starting with the slowest baud rate and working my way until it works does the trick.

Are you using RS 232???? If so, try a USB 232 interface because the voltages from the computer may be a tad low. The adapter does the job, bought mine at Office Depot for around $35.00...More money tossed into this hobby.

Best of luck to you and keep in touch.

ed

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
This is the software

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/IC-Q7-Programming-Software-p/wcsq7-u.htm

Doesn't seem to be a lot of settings or adjustments to make with this software program.

The system I am using is Windows 10 pro x64 on a desktop.
Its a ex gaming system so its not short on horsepower.
The cable shows up in device manager as "USB-57A Radio Cable (COM4)"
I'm wondering if there is a problem with the radio socket not making correct contact with the cable.
I know the socket has never been used for programming.
I have tried a earphone in the socket & that part works ok.
I know its an old radio but its in excellent condition & everything else functions as it should.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Baud rate

The baud rate is set in the Device Manager in the Control Panel. I run two different Butel programs in 64 bit Windows 10 without problems. WSC-Q7 software is not a Butel product. Try RT Systems for help.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The software and cable rocky28965 has are current products from RT Systems. No adapters are needed with the RT usb cable, and the ones I use have been plug and play with minor glitches. If you don't understand the radio or software, it is difficult to make a helpful response to the problem.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Have any of you guys actually programmed one of these radios from software.
It's been suggested to me, you need to hold down a couple of buttons to get it into programming mode.
I cant find anything in the manual about this.

wrath

This may be irrelvant but i will put it out i program my fleet with RT systems and every time i use it ,i have to reinstall the chipset driver ,doesnt matter if Icom Kenwood or Yaesu they all use different chipset drivers.

From experience I would tend to agree with those who say it's operating system ,my play radio & program wheelchairs computer remains a 64 bit ultimate Win 7 machine ,simply because i am a Mac user ,i built a monster pentium system and a laptop that i do not upgrade ,to many of my freinds have fallen victim to Win 10 , it also has a disgusting feature in 10 that you can never roll back the operating system or reinstall an older operating system , my suggestion would be find an older XP or 7 machine at the latest and dedicate it to playing radio,laptops are dirt cheap ,you may even find one brand new on clearance at a best buy (They are still out there , because most people want the latest and greatest even if something older will meet there needs just fine) on my laptop Microsoft forced an 8.1 upgrade on it ,I haven't had a problem with it ,just if you acquire an older system don't put it online for anything other than RT upgrades.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
I am just waiting for another cable from RT Systems.
If I still don't have any success I will crank up an old system I have here & see if it makes any difference.
I could put any OS on it from XP - Win10, I've got them all.
I still haven't eliminated the possibility of a faulty SP/MIC jack on the radio.
I've been trying to locate a hands free set to try it. The nearest I've been able find so far is from a mobile phone with the same plug. If I connect that it activates the PTT switch, so may not be compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.