Yaesu: Yaesu ftm-7250dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
One of the nice features in dual-band radios is the ability to receive two signals at the same time. This can be a handy feature to have depending on how you use the radio. I don't know if the FTM-7250DR has this feature, but it's something I'd look into if I was interested in the radio.

I believe that model is fairly new. My dad always said "don't buy a car from the first year of a new model". The thinking is that the new model might have some bugs and it'd be good to give the manufacturer time to work them out. I think the same goes for new radio models. If it were me, I'd let this model "bake" for a while before I'd buy it.

Heavy isn't a bad thing depending on how you plan to mount it. If your chosen mounting location can support the weight, it won't be a problem.

The downside to front-firing speakers is that they are often on the small side and sometimes small speakers don't sound very good.

Those are my thoughts.

wrath

Look how embarrassing the problems where with the launch of FTM400 & FT1,ultimately I picked the FT1XDR when they closed it out for dirt cheap,and the bugs and revisions had been dealt with .
Oh and how can we forget 990 & 991A issues
Yaesu can be sketchy sometimes out of the gate & famously will make a revision to fix the bugs , but may leave you with the buggy radio ,to many cases of buyers remorse are linked to brand new Yaesu ,if you dont have to get it now , wait and see what happens W9BU dad was a smart man ,the first year and sometimes the last year of anything can give you grief ,the last year simply because there done with it the engineers and staff are doing "bigger & better " things ,and quality can suffer .

If I may ask what is it about the 7250 that peaked your intrest in purchasing that particular model ?

Maybe I'm jaded from playing radio for 30 years but i didn't see anything in the 7250 that screamed pay attention or anything thats not already on the market.

I have only purchased a 1st year radio once because it was absolutely unique and fortunately it did not disappoint , sure it was buggy and we would find the problems tell the company ,and have to wait to update the firmware, but i havent met anyone who regretted buying it( as long as there YL allowed it, saw a few guys who didn't check and had to immediately sell it).

So I am just wondering is it a price point or did I miss something ?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Anyone here have the YAESU FTM-7250DR?

I see its sorta new but eham reviews are good so far. Everyone says its heavy, but is that a bad thing?
And theres a good speaker on the front so no need for an external.

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?c...C16072D3EBEC69D19A&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You will likely still want an external speaker. As others have eluded to, it is likely very small, and will likely produce really tinny audio.

For a dual band mobile, it is pretty light on memories. Frankly, I would use them all up just on VHF ham repeaters where I live. My channel count on my TM-V71A is well north of 500 memories.

Also, it seems that Yaesu has not included 2.5KHz synthesizer steps. This will be an issue for those hams in the USA that want to listen to 7.5KHz LMR splinter channels.

trx680

wrath- It was just a radio that I came across while radio hunting. Eham had good reviews and it is a newer radio so I was hoping there was some new technology. Eham reviewers gave the speaker a thumbs up, so no need for an external I would think.
I know its new and it still needs to prove itself.
Just wondering if anyone here bought one.

I think I'll play it safe and go with the Yaesu FTM-100DR as a first radio

wrath

You will likely still want an external speaker. As others have eluded to, it is likely very small, and will likely produce really tinny audio.

For a dual band mobile, it is pretty light on memories. Frankly, I would use them all up just on VHF ham repeaters where I live. My channel count on my TM-V71A is well north of 500 memories.

Also, it seems that Yaesu has not included 2.5KHz synthesizer steps. This will be an issue for those hams in the USA that want to listen to 7.5KHz LMR splinter channels.
I concur I have the same RF deck in my 710 ga i have every repater & simplex channel from Manhattan N.Y to Pittsburgh PA as well as railroad, airport and EMS/ FIRE,since I use RT , i can pretty much keep all radios consistent regardless of what I am carrying ,i use alot of memory space .

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I concur I have the same RF deck in my 710 ga i have every repater & simplex channel from Manhattan N.Y to Pittsburgh PA as well as railroad, airport and EMS/ FIRE,since I use RT , i can pretty much keep all radios consistent regardless of what I am carrying ,i use alot of memory space .

All of Alberta ham repeaters, a bunch of province wide Emcomm stuff, along with some LMR stuff I like to listen too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Eham reviewers gave the speaker a thumbs up, so no need for an external I would think.

One thing I've noticed about eHam reviews is that many of the reviewers are under the assumption that they are radio experts and never make a bad purchase, ever. I haven't owned an amateur only radio in a long time, but when I did I'd read the reviews and occasionally provide reviews myself.
-I had others attack my reviews because they didn't like someone giving negative feedback on a radio they liked.
-Many of them -always- give five stars, after all, they are never wrong.

As for the external speaker, they really do help. They not only boost the audio volume, but the larger speakers really help with intelligibility. A really handy thing to have if you use the radio a lot. Makes listening a lot more pleasurable.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The FTM-7250DR is not a true dual band radio. You can only listen to one signal at a time. The same is true with the FTM-100. I don't see exactly what the distinction is in terms of utility. The FTM-100 does have GPS and I don't think the 7250 does. I have an FTM-400 which does have dual receive, but is quite a bit more money. I'm in the process of setting it up to be a Fusion node. We also have a DR2 repeater and the FTM-400 can remote control the repeater over the air. The other radios don't have this capability or, at least not easily. (You really need dual receive to make it work)

With regard to eHam reviews : No one on RR considers themselves to be an expert do they?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
With regard to eHam reviews : No one on RR considers themselves to be an expert do they?

No, never….

My point was that reviews should be taken with an bit of salt. Amateur radio operators are an opinionated bunch, and they love to argue. Looking for feedback on a radio is a good idea, however I'm not convinced that some of the reviews on e-ham are entirely on the up and up. I think there is a tendency to put opinions above the facts.

As for the dual band thing….
It really depends on what you expect to do with the radio. I've owned both. The dual band/single receiver was fine. I could work 2 meters or 70 centimeters. I rarely needed to listen on one and transmit on the other.
On the other hand, I had a Kenwood TM-d710 with dual receivers. With that radio it was handy to be able to run APRS on one and listen on the other.

But individual users have their preferences.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
One thing I've noticed about eHam reviews is that many of the reviewers are under the assumption that they are radio experts and never make a bad purchase, ever.
I think there's every possibility that you have people posting "reviews" on eHam who don't even own the radio they are reviewing. There are certainly people who post their ratings based on one or two features that they really like or really don't like. There are even people who post false information and when knowledgeable people try to refute the false claims, eHam won't post the refutations.

In other words, I'm putting less and less stock in eHam "reviews".

As for the radio in question, it's been on the market about a month. There are 6 "reviews" on eHam and they are all 5 stars. Just call me skeptical. As I said before, I'd rather let this radio "bake" for a while before I bought one.

mrweather

FTM-400DR is a true dual-receive radio - but not in Fusion mode. Only the "top" radio does Fusion (and FM); the "bottom" is FM-only.

For eHam reviews I generally ignore the 5-star and 0-star ones. The former are usually by someone who just got the device and has zero time with it; the latter are usually grumpy OF's with an axe to grind.

wrath

I absolutely pass on this cheap dual/mono band radios i have done public service events that used multiple repeaters and simplex nets as well as APRS net , i just dont see a reason for purchasing a radio that limits its usefullness out of the box , i understand the industry is trying to play to CCR owners with lower priced gear ,i dont think in a world were people drop 1K on the latest phone ,that gaining market share or increasing density of lesser capable radios is the answer or going to win customers over , on they other hand making great functional radios and sacrificing a little of the profit doesn't seem to be in anybody's playbook and it should be !A dozen happy customers with good equipment is worth alot more than any full color advertisement they could place . And this whole review thing needs to be reined in with documented ownership ,its all to easy for one malcontent individual to grind an axe in the back of your products all over the internet without a shred of proof that they ever even touched the product!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I absolutely pass on this cheap dual/mono band radios i have done public service events that used multiple repeaters and simplex nets as well as APRS net , i just dont see a reason for purchasing a radio that limits its usefullness out of the box , i understand the industry is trying to play to CCR owners with lower priced gear ,i dont think in a world were people drop 1K on the latest phone ,that gaining market share or increasing density of lesser capable radios is the answer or going to win customers over , on they other hand making great functional radios and sacrificing a little of the profit doesn't seem to be in anybody's playbook and it should be !A dozen happy customers with good equipment is worth alot more than any full color advertisement they could place . And this whole review thing needs to be reined in with documented ownership ,its all to easy for one malcontent individual to grind an axe in the back of your products all over the internet without a shred of proof that they ever even touched the product!

I think this would be a decent base radio, or an EOC radio. A location that is static. It’s really limited memory wise, and that, to me would be a show stopper.

KM6SSK

Great durable and basic dual band

I own a Yaesu FTM-7250DR and can say it is a good basic radio with a great front speaker. I purchased the radio to use in my car and when out to support local events. It is heavy and built like a tank. I have good reception and reports of clear transmit on our local repeater using a Diamond X50A antenna. It supports Fusion access and has a wide receive band. I do hear a mild clicking during scanning that is bearly noticable but is present. If you are looking for a basic, no frills radio that won't need an external speaker, this radio is worth looking at. I will say the FT-7900R is probably a better radio at a comparable price but may need an external speaker and does not support Fusion. I bought this one over the other to try Fusion and I wanted a more durable build. I am happy with my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.