Bridgecom BCH-220 HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just pulled my 2 year old Bridgecom BCH-220 HT out of the charger to add a few new repeaters to it, only to find it wouldn't turn on...

I noticed that the battery wasn't fully 'latched' to the radio, so I went to re-latch it, only to discover that the twin Li-Ion batteries had 'expanded' enough to split the battery case!

Alas, since it is a 'proprietary' radio, the only source of a replacement is Bridgecom. Their replacement battery is $40, with a $10.42 shipping charge. That's over half the $85 cost of the radio, charging stand, and programming cable I paid during the 2016 Dayton Hamvention.

Needless to say the radio itself is going into my 'junk drawer' alongside ADI AT-600 dual-band HT that's un-repairable now at any price... :(

Last edited:

k6cpo

That's about the going price for a replacement battery for just about any radio these days. Replacement batteries for my Yaesus run from $32.95 and up—depending on the radio and battery capacity—from a third party vendor (not Yaesu.)

nanZor

I don't use my BCH-220 much anymore either. No matter how much you change mic-gain settings in software, one has to really "close talk" the mic. I can always tell when someone else is on a '220 when they don't close-talk it and sound like they are down the hall. Much like other radios in this class. Really sad when you hear newcomers to the 220 band, or new ops in general not aware of this and wondering why nobody is responding to their call.

Using li-ion pouch-cells, rather than hard cylindricals is often the cause of the swelling - aside from manufacturing qc. When stored at near depleted capacities, they have a tendency to eat themselves chemically. And even worse when you try to charge them when they reach that condition! But storing them fully charged isn't the best idea for long life either.

So like you, by bch220 sits in the drawer looking cute. I store li-ion batts half-charged, but thanks for the heads up on this one - I'll be keeping my eye on it.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, there is a built-in current/charge limiting circuit in the battery itself that is supposed to protect the battery by reducing the charge current to a tiny trickle when the battery is fully charged.

It is supposed to work, but I suspect that it failed...

$85 for the radio - $40 for the battery means the radio is only worth $45? :roll:

Or, putting it another way, in the just over two years I've owned it, I've had precisely two QSOs on the local repeater. Those have to be among the most expensive QSOs ever! :D

Unlike your experience however, I've not had any issues with low modulation.

wrath

If you want a nice radio on 220 get yourself the Kenwood 74 A it's Tri band dstar and APRS, it's an awesome HT .it will last longer than the warranty !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
If you want a nice radio on 220 get yourself the Kenwood 74 A it's Tri band dstar and APRS, it's an awesome HT .it will last longer than the warranty !

I just traded the D74A I won at Dayton Hamvention for a new BCD536HP to a friend of mine. I have nine HTs already and didn't need another one, and have zero interest in D-Star as there are no repeaters within range of my QTH. :wink:

wrath

CONGRATS for winning it @ Dayton. I hear you there i am in a digital desert also ,i bought an open spot shark hotspot that allows me to play digital radio till my years content, several guys in town run hotspots so we all put them on same frequency so if we aren't in range of our own we may be able to use someone else's. But even still most local action isn't digital it's analog ,there is an APRS node at the hospital but it's mostly the Canadians that make check ins and announce club activities , rarely do I ever see a local , those of us with rig capable are most active when ISS passes over trying to send thru them , the QSL card is gorgeous ! Considering the price diffrence your buddy got a hell of deal ,i am avoiding that series of uniden and hoping this sds100 is better i will have to upgrade soom because in january PD/FD GO P25PII but it allows me time to watch what's happening in scanners , the sds100 is supposed to start shipping tommorow so as they say let the games begin!.
I just traded the D74A I won at Dayton Hamvention for a new BCD536HP to a friend of mine. I have nine HTs already and didn't need another one, and have zero interest in D-Star as there are no repeaters within range of my QTH. :wink:

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Five of my nine HTs are DMR, three of which are dual-band. I have two DMR repeaters local to me (VHF and UHF). They are actually owned to my friend with whom I traded the D74A (W9CTO).

I own two jumboSPOTs and keep one in the shack and the other in my car. Between them and the two CS800 mobiles (shack and car) and my analog equipment, I am very well connected! :D

N4KVE

Well, I just pulled my 2 year old Bridgecom BCH-220 HT out of the charger to add a few new repeaters to it, only to find it wouldn't turn on...
Has this 2 year old hardly used 2 QSO’s radio been sitting in the charger for 2 years? Do you abuse all your HT batteries in a similar fashion?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Has this 2 year old hardly used 2 QSO’s radio been sitting in the charger for 2 years? Do you abuse all your HT batteries in a similar fashion?

Nope. I pulled out of the charger when fully charged, then dropped it back in when it was time for a recharge. I also turned it off before charging.

There is a protection circuit in the battery case that is supposed to limit the charge current to a mere trickle when the battery is fully charged. I suspect that this chip failed it's task.

Status
Not open for further replies.