Yaesu: FT-8800R separation anxiety!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks.

I had my FT-8800R separated. Main unit in trunk, head unit on console.
I'm getting rid of the car, and have removed the radio from the vehicle. However it seems I'm missing a piece!

It is a black plastic section that allows the head to be rejoined to the main body of the radio.
Anyone here happen to know the part number of that, or where it could be obtained? I'd like to have the radio reconnected as one unit now.

Thanks for the help!
Rob

wrath

Those are fighting words ,unless they have come to there senses and didn't consult me ,Yaesu doesnt have a replacement part,you have to make one,if you lost the original , but dont worry your not unique in having lost it I must know 30+ guys with that style of rig that have done that.When you get a new radio everything not used stays in the box ,anything changes stuff it back in the box ( yes i am known for my box collection ,i have larger boxes for each major brand of radio that holds all the boxes for individual radios and accesories inside,i am like a roach motel of radios once they check in they very seldom check out).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I've had this radio 15+ years, and didn't keep the box when I moved from Europe to North America. So when I installed it in the vehicle 3 years ago, I have no idea what I did with the part. I'll rummage around a little more, but it is not with the rest of my radio gear :-(

I too have a large box collection - in fact I've just repacked a bunch of radios for an upcoming move back into their original boxes. I like you style!

Guess I'll be keeping this one as a remote unit, even if it is mounted in the shack. Still works a charm.

wrath

Yeah I have an 8900 and VX5R from new and I actualy still have everything down to the Yaesu stickers that came in the boxes ,i loaned the 5 R to somebody and they messed up my duck so that ones back in the box (of course it's long discontinued so I have an 8R duck on it to use)my 8900 was remoted for awhile,hystericly enough some mope stole the control head(I hope it's still doing nothing for them )and so when I got rid of that vehicle I put its head back on ,it's now serving in another room of the house in the "reserve fleet".sounds like that 8800 is giving you good service ,if you do ever decide to marry it again it's just regular Telco stuff just really short (I just realized how absurd it is these days to say like your wall phone? Most people would have to go to Google to find out what a wall phone was ! ).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi folks.

I had my FT-8800R separated. Main unit in trunk, head unit on console.

I'm getting rid of the car, and have removed the radio from the vehicle. However it seems I'm missing a piece!

It is a black plastic section that allows the head to be rejoined to the main body of the radio.

Anyone here happen to know the part number of that, or where it could be obtained? I'd like to have the radio reconnected as one unit now.

Thanks for the help!

Rob

Did you remove it from the FT-8800? I used to own one, and I never removed anything from the brick when I remote mounted the radio in a couple of company trucks I operated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hill

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is anything you remove the radio body when the head is removed. The head just snaps off and you shouldn't need to put anything back on the radio body to re-install it. The extra pieces are included with the remote kit, so you would be able to mount the head in the vehicle.

djeplett

Are you just referring to the super short jumper with the two 6 pin modular plugs on either end? You can easily make another one. I can measure mine and snap a photo if you need it.

Otherwise, like hill said, I don't believe there are any other plastic parts you need to get the head snapped back in.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Are you just referring to the super short jumper with the two 6 pin modular plugs on either end? You can easily make another one. I can measure mine and snap a photo if you need it.

Otherwise, like hill said, I don't believe there are any other plastic parts you need to get the head snapped back in.
No, I have the jumper cable. It is the black plastic shroud that I'm missing.

Attaching the head to the body is not possible without this [emoji25]

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

GSPD

Just curious....is that because it's a European model? I currently have and use the FT-8800 and the head just slides and snaps on to the body with no additional parts.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Just curious....is that because it's a European model? I currently have and use the FT-8800 and the head just slides and snaps on to the body with no additional parts.
It's a US model I bought back in the mid 2000s.
I don't fully remember installing it in the vehicle, but I must have removed the black plastic recepticle / shroud.

Presently I have no way to attach the head. There is nothing for it to snap into.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

djeplett

So you took that shroud off? I see it's possible with removing a couple screws but when I've remoted my radios I just left it on. Bummer.

The part number of the shroud is RA040480A. The release knob is an RA026900A and the coil spring for it is an R0137550. You could give Yaesu a call and see if they will sell you the parts. I've ordered parts from them before and it was very reasonable.

https://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs&DivisionID=65

iots099

W5MSR
Premium Subscriber
Yaesu 8800R Head Mounting

Yaesu part number is RA028460A Description: Bracket / YSK-7100/8800/8900.
Last one I bought was from Vertex Standard in May of 2009 and it was $2.38.

Oops Just reread and this is not what you are looking for.

Last edited:

djeplett

Yaesu part number is RA028460A Description: Bracket / YSK-7100/8800/8900.
Last one I bought was from Vertex Standard in May of 2009 and it was $2.38.

That's the nest that the remoted head sits in. Sounds like he needs the shroud that's attached to the radio by screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.