Yaesu: Yaesu FT-60 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk6lmi

Premium Subscriber
Hi- I have two questions for the group.
I’m a relatively new ham and have a question about programming my Yaesu radio. I’m a volunteer with the National Park Service.

We patrol the parks using a FRS channel to communicate between ourselves. We patrol on mountain bikes and keep the radios are in our back packs. We need to monitor the park repeaters for status checks. I have the frequencies stored in memory bank 1 of the radio and I can get the radio to scan all frequencies. Is there a way to have the radio scan all frequencies – but have the radio default transmit to a home frequency? In order words – unless I need to respond to a park service call – I’d like the radio to transmit on the FRS channel…

Question 2. One of our park repeaters uses an offset of 8.3625. I can only get me radio programmed to 8.35. This seems enough of a difference to where I can't get the repeater to respond...

I appreciate any help
KK6SRB

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the FT-60 (a ham radio) is meant to transmit on federal and FRS frequencies. It has to be approved by the FCC for it to be fully legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I can say with 100% surety that the radio is not type accepted for FRS simply because of the power limitations and the fact that the antenna is detachable.

As far as the NPS frequency goes, I'm pretty sure it falls under NTIA, so I don't think FCC type acceptance applies, but I would assume there's an equivalent that applies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I understand that. The problem lies with the antenna. The FCC is very clear about any FRS radio having a fixed antenna. A removable antenna on a radio transmitting on FRS frequencies is illegal.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I also just checked an online list of NTIA accepted radios, and the Yaesu FT-60 was listed as NOT NTIA acceptable.

kk6lmi

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know that. There are many members that use Baofeng radios... I happen to have a Yaesu. Looks like I'll have to go shopping for an FRS radio. Any ideas as to the offset?

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I think the offset doesn’t work right on the radio because, like I said, it was not made to transmit on Federal frequencies.

P.S.-The other people that you work with that are using Baofeng’s are running the risk of getting caught by the FCC. While it is a small chance anyone would actually catch them, it still is a risk.

kk6lmi

Premium Subscriber
Hi -
Not the answer I wanted to hear... but I thank you for the education and the quick response.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I believe Baofeng low power is 1 watt, which means that they are transmitting at twice the legal power in addition to the removable antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.