Wouxun or Yaesu

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternative3d

Hello
I am interested in picking up a handheld and interested in either the Wouxun KG-UV9D plus, or the Yaesu Ft70RD. Would anyone have any experience with either of these, or can compare both? I am leaning toward the FT70, but hear the battery is abit problematic. Really like the looks and stats of the Wouxun so not sure which would be a better choice. Been away from ham radio for 10+ years, but interested in getting back into it again
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

scanmanmi

I will watch this post with interest. I recently returned and picked up a Baofeng UV82 because it's 8 watts and boy am I glad. Most repeaters around here require the higher power. If I drop down to 5 watts the range is really limited. I tested it on a power meter so I know the real 5 watts is not enough. The squelch tail is horrendous even when using tones or DCS. I will never buy a 5 watt HT.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
OK, I admit I'm biased. I have an incredible hatred for Chinese made cheap radios. So Yaesu all the way. At least when you buy a Yaesu, it's less likely that your money goes toward the expansion of the Chinese military that makes no sense unless they plan to use it at some point.

prcguy

I've compared a Yaesu VX-8R and Yaesu FT-60 to the original Wouxun KG-UV9 series and the Wouxun got intermod and could not receive things that both Yaesu's could receive. This was on a hill overlooking Los Angeles with lots of potential interference. Bottom line is the Yaesu radios survived better than the Wouxun.

teufler

I have the uv-8. Also have several other ht's, but the Wouxun is more radio of choice when I am out and about. I have a Yaesu vx-7, buy the features of the uv-8, have sort of retired the Yaesu. The uv-8 and 9 have cross band, and no one has ever said it sounds like you are using a CCR. I have not been in a high intermod area, with either radio. Wouxun seems to be in the upper level of the Chinese radios.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
The yaesu dude. You will be happier, it's a more proven rig. Plus if you ever want to play with Fusion it's already there. Yaesu given the choice between the two.

bb911

I vote for Yaesu. I had a Yaesu HT manufactured in 1990 +/- and it worked fine up until last year when I killed it trying to replace the memory cell by myself. (Yaesu no longer repairs). I used it more has a high band scanner then as a 2m transceiver.

alternative3d

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like the FT70 is the way to go. Only concern is hearing about the battery being extremely weak on this model. But other than that looks like a fine radio.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Most any flavor of Yaesu or Kenwood is an improvement over Wouxun and the like, based on my testing.

As with any handheld, test it. If it works to you needs great. I have found that regardless of manufacture, I always needed to add an aftermarket antenna to improve reliability. I prefer an improved antenna over pushing eight watts. In fact, with an improved antenna I typically reduce power and extend the battery life.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
The Yaesu radios have a more 'traditional' receiver that includes tuned circuits which will give you better receive-especially if you are trying to work satellites or other 'weak signal work'. On teh transmit side, many of the Wouxun/Baofeng radios do not meet requirements for emissions (spurs or poor harmonic suppression). I believe that Yaesu,Kenwood and Icom still test everything before they sell the items.

You are responsible for the signal from your station -not the manufacturer of the radio -that is the difference between an operator and a 'user'. I agree that most of us have neither the equipment or the skill but the rules are clear-I just "bought it from" is not an excuse and does not remove the responsibility from you.

That said I have both types and find the Yaesu a little more 'sturdy' and able to take some abuse as well.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu. Even better, Kenwood or Icom. Alinco is good too. If you must go cheap, at least go TYT.

The difference between 5w and 8w is nearly unmeasurable, if at all. Quality filtering and selectivity should be of much more concern to you. The Wouxon, Boafeng, Dungfang, Batdung, and whatever don't have it.

k6cpo

The Wouxun seems to be a bit better made than Baofeng. I had a need for a Part 90 radio and I ended up with two of the Wouxun KG-UVA1 radios. I wasn't about to spend several hundred dollars for a Motorola for a volunteer job and the radios provided were worn out crap. They served me well for the volunteer job and I now use them for amateur stuff.

That said, if I had to choose between Wouxun or Yaesu, I'd take the Yaesu any time. My first radio was a Yaesu and I now have eight, both HTs and mobiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.