QRP transceiver for PSK 31?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to Amateur Radio having received my General earlier this year, I'm intrigued by PSK31 and would like to get into it more using QRP equipment. I've seen QRP kits on the internet, however seems like most of it is for CW. Can anyone recommend a good kit or QRP transceiver for portable use?

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
QRP is a bit of the hard way if just starting out. I remember using a Ten-Tac Agronaut (model 509) as my first HF rig. You could google SSB QRP radio and get several current models. The one I am looking at is the Yaesu FT-817.

QRP can be considerably more challenging than 'normal' HF operating. The biggest thing in making your station effective is the antenna. Most of us don't have the room (or resources) to put up full size dipoles or beams so the antenna side of a lot of stations suffers.

QRP is also much more dependent on propagation -which has been poor for quite some time. Operating QRP on the bands below about 10 Mhz (30 meters) means you will be 'down in the noise' more than regular stations and that can add to the frustration for a new operator. That said, when operating the digital modes like PSK, I seldom use more than 20 watts.

Good luck and 73.

Hi AZ.....:)
I think practically anything you use on PSK31 is going to be QRP. You are going to want to dial back the power for several reason- primarily because you don't need it, you want a perfectly linear signal- no distortions, - the transmit duty cycle can over heat your transmitter in QRO.... and if the band is dead its dead.
I am hardly the one to talk about ham radio digital. I just rediscover'd** it over the July 4th holiday. My father is an inveterate long wave fan, and after I sent him the remains of my foray on 2200 metre (my JUMA TX136) he called me saying I should give 136Khz another shot...
"Try one of the digital modes, Lauri"
And he referred to some of the JT modes he was using on long wave with success. As if my gift of that JUMA tranceiver was not to be out done, there was a FedX'd SignaLink digital interface awaiting me back home in my mountains.
It was like... "Okay Dad, don't twist my arm or anything.... :) "
So...the downloading Digipan and WSJT-X (for good measures... why not take a peek at this FT8 while we're at it?)-- that took maybe maybe 15 minutes. By the end of another 10, I was both impressed by, and bored with FT8. The number of stations was impressive, the DX (this was on 20 metre's) was amazing- but the content left me empty in a matter of minutes.
I have heard FT8 described as being as much fun as watching paint dry-- I know; that is Harsh- and if its any reader's "thing" I apologize... its just reminds me too much of automated beacons- where's the QSO's ?
I was impress'd however- for where my home is, we are surrounded by awesome mountains- an RF venerable 'black hole"- Green Bank Observatory should be jealous of my "quiet zone." But there, under the noise was lots of (14 Mhz) amateur activity. Cool.... right up until the Drying Paint part.
But PSK was a different story !... This mode, I soon learned, hardly over populates the ham bands, but I quickly found a station calling CQ from far out in the Pacific- I went back to him - and on my first go: Bingo ! ..... I was (digitally) hooked once again !.... :)
We had a real 20 minute chat- that's something with these sunspots and only 20 Watts to a vertical. I'm sort of embarrassed admitting to have taken all these years to try digital again, but I can sense it putting a lot of fun back into my hobby.
For those (like I was) that are considering these modes, try downloading the software and running at least receive- your computer's sound card will handle it all. And any modern HF transceiver will work (I used my old IC 728.) Dial it back to 20-25 Watts- but like Wy said, the antenna is what will make all the difference.

Lauri
** I say 'rediscovering' the ham radio part, since I played in it in the earliest digital years. Since then my career had revolved around so much digital RF that mixing it into my hobby was killing my hobby..... though my true loves have always been my radars.... that's always been very digital ... :)

prcguy

Maybe a little pricey for the OP but the little Elecraft KX2 and KX3 do PSK31 without any computer or other hardware. You encode using a CW key or the Elecraft paddles and the radio displays an amount of decoded characters right on its front panel. The KX3 also has a world class receiver and its little brother the KX2 is no slouch.

On the other digital modes, its a coincidence I just fired up FT8 for the first time yesterday and am a little impressed with it. My particular rig only needs a USB cable to handle both audio and control of the radio from the WSJT program and I had it working within a few minutes. I clicked on a 20m CQing station and it worked like a champ from CA to Venezuela with about 10w and the band seemed otherwise dead. After a little while I logged QSOs with a bunch of stations all across S America and the US.

Then off to 10m, which was completely dead on the phone portions and again I logged a bunch of QSOs from all over N and S America. I was curious what goes on with FT8 on 6m and within a few minutes I logged QSOs from CA to Canada and Mexico with 20w on an otherwise dead band. This is really starting to get interesting. It might be a little like watching paint dry but its the most fun I've had with something so boring.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
This is getting a little off-topic from the intention of the OP... but something I like about FT8 are the fully QUALIFIED signal reports. Really lets you know how you are getting out.... and to where. Better than the nearly ubiquitous “5 and 9” or “20 over” reports. There is no human guessing or intervention in the signal report.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Maybe a little pricey for the OP but the little Elecraft KX2 and KX3 do PSK31 without any computer or other hardware. You encode using a CW key or the Elecraft paddles and the radio displays an amount of decoded characters right on its front panel. The KX3 also has a world class receiver and its little brother the KX2 is no slouch.

On the other digital modes, its a coincidence I just fired up FT8 for the first time yesterday and am a little impressed with it. My particular rig only needs a USB cable to handle both audio and control of the radio from the WSJT program and I had it working within a few minutes. I clicked on a 20m CQing station and it worked like a champ from CA to Venezuela with about 10w and the band seemed otherwise dead. After a little while I logged QSOs with a bunch of stations all across S America and the US.

Then off to 10m, which was completely dead on the phone portions and again I logged a bunch of QSOs from all over N and S America. I was curious what goes on with FT8 on 6m and within a few minutes I logged QSOs from CA to Canada and Mexico with 20w on an otherwise dead band. This is really starting to get interesting. It might be a little like watching paint dry but its the most fun I've had with something so boring.

Which rig are you running? What's kept me out of digital HF is the need for 3rd party sound cards with most radios.

I wouldn't let the lack of an external sound card keep you off Digital, McCore. In the past some of those after market interfaces were not so user friendly..... and probably that contributed a lot to my absence-of-interest for years..... but if you are running Windows, you can at least start receiving digital right now (I am making the assumption that like me, you too haven't bother'd.)
That SignaLink interface of mine connects directly to any one my transceivers (I'm going to be using it with my old 725, 728 or 575's) front mic ports-- it took less than 15 minutes to configure Windows to run it on Digipan and the WSJT-X.... then a USB cable to the computer, set a few audio levels-- easy peasy.... :)
I tried it on 6 meters FT8 - ( I broke down and figured I could watch paint drying for a few minutes :) ) --- instantly I made two contacts to California; 10 Watts--- this, on a band that had no audible signals at all.
Ohh ! ........this is going make 6 metre's FAR too easy ! :)
(I just looked at the SignaLink webpage (Tigertonics) -- they are having a sale on complete units for ~$116.)
I thought about taking a radio and the SignaLink with me back to DC (I'm at this moment sitting in Denver International) but then I wouldn't have this ham project to look forward to on my next return..... (plus that is not 'carry on' friendly stuff)...........
Lauri

k9wkj

it took less than 15 minutes to configure Windows to run it on Digipan and the WSJT-X.... then a USB cable to the computer, set a few audio levels-- easy peasy.... :)

Lauri dont forget to mess with the plethora of modes available in the FlDigi package and thank the gods it works on a real operating system (windows not required)

Hellschreiber anyone?

k9wkj

Can anyone recommend a good kit or QRP transceiver for portable use?
and for the OP µBITX
and wow the Arduino guys have really jumped into this rig (its cpu is a Arduino)
color touch screen!!!
pxAi6JN.jpg

since the rig is fully opensource
folks are a going all fired nutz developing the cool software and hardware

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Hellschreiber anyone?
Sure! During the W1AW/portable operations a few years ago, some guys activated W1AW/8 from Hell, Michigan, on 80m Hellschreiber. That's one QSO I won't forget.

Oh My !.. JJZ, build my own sound card interface ?!... an entertaining *Thought,* .... just a few days ago I had to get one of my neighbor's bulls out of my garden- Comparing those two tasks, bull removal is one I'd would relish over building my own interface ..... :)
And I have been there !... TNC's, ground loops, RF issues-- probably the biggest contributor, and turn off's, to my ham radio digital until last week. Anyone here ever use a PK232? serial ports, ....AMTOR?- that's my 'vintage.'
No..... all in all- I applaud these new interface gadgets- and have no desire to try my hand at going that route again-- though don't let *Me* discourage anyone..... :)
On sort of a side step, back into things historical-
A neighbor (not the one with the bull) recently impressed me with demonstrating fire building with a fire-drill, and then flint and steel. I then tried my skills at them and was amazed at how easy they were for starting a fire.... but I don't think I'll build to many campfires with these techniques... I'll relegate that skill set to my TNC experiences.....:)
And WKJ, the FLDigi programs are great, aren't they?...I have only done the down load, and a quick look-see, but like I said earlier, I look forward to playing with this fun new ham radio digital in the near future. :)
Lauri

KC8QVO

I'm new to Amateur Radio having received my General earlier this year, I'm intrigued by PSK31 and would like to get into it more using QRP equipment. I've seen QRP kits on the internet, however seems like most of it is for CW. Can anyone recommend a good kit or QRP transceiver for portable use?

I see others have already brought up the Elecraft radios and the FT-817. I have owned an Elecraft KX3 since they first came out (I was on the pre-order wait list for months for it). The reason I got the KX3 was because I backpack also. I was using an FT-857D before. Switching to the KX3 I dropped about 10-15lbs off my radio set up (battery and rig combined) in the pack.

All of that aside, the KX3 has the best receiver of any radio I own. It really is an amazing little radio. It may seem expensive, however if you are really wanting to go "portable" with a light weight set up you can't beat what the KX3 has to offer. The KX2 may be another route, though you miss some bands and modes. For SSB/digital modes on 80-10m you can get by with the KX2. In my case, I operate 6m also and have the 2m module in the KX3 mostly so I can receive the weather band. So the compact'ness of the KX2 over the KX3 is a moot point - the extra features of the KX3 far out weight the size/weight penalty.

The FT-818 (replacement for the FT-817) is also a good option. I have operated the FT-817's in the past and have considered getting one myself. The receiver does not stack up to the KX3, though. For general HF duties it would work for what you are after. Those radios have been around the world and worked the world.

If you want to go the kit built route - as long as a radio does SSB you can run PSK-31.

A lot of the newer base HF radios have USB interfaces that include audio interfaces. I have an FT-991A and have experimented with this. It is really slick running PSK with nothing more than a USB cable between the radio and computer. I have not figured out the CTS/RTS PTT keying through USB yet, though, so I use VOX and set the mic audio to the USB sound card.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.