Kenwood: Few questions about the D74...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

Kenwood is giving a pretty good rebate on the D74 this month, I think I am going to go for it.

Before I do I would like to know a few things.

I have been out of the hobby for a while so I am pretty rusty. The reason this radio has peaked my interest in the hobby again is mainly DStar.

I envision mostly using it in the car (with a mag mount 1/4 wave), at my desk in the house (hooked to JPole in the attic), out an about/hiking/kayaking, and part of my emergency prep/local weather nets.

On the the questions,

Can it be charged and used at the same time?
I was thinking about skipping the drop in charger and going for a Nifty Stand, good idea?

I am sure Ill come up with more..

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
mparker,
If you envision switching the D74 between setups (meaning between different antennas), I might suggest getting a SMA (male) to BNC (female) adaptor and putting it on the D74 more or less permanently. Even if you need to use an adaptor on an antenna cable, you should not be connecting and disconnecting the SMA connector on the D74. SMA's wear out with repeated connection/disconnection even with the gentlest treatment, and just one 'oopsie' with a cross-thread and, as they say, you're 'cruisin' for a bruisin'.

The one drawback with a permanent SMA-BNC adaptor is that the Diamond SRH-320A antenna, which works a great deal better than the 'rubber duckie' antenna that comes with the radio is SMA.

It's a small thing but may pay off big-time compared to the cost of getting the antenna connector replaced.

BTW, I really like the D74 I got, but be patient with yourself, there are a lot of menu'd things to get used to.

mparker

I suppose I could adapt the 320a to bnc. I feel like if I am at home or in the car I’ll be connected to a real antenna anyhow.

Thanks for the tip on the adapter. I was looking at some that seem pretty slick, very small profile. Reviewers say if you get them in Black you can’t tell that there is an adapter there.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The supplied AC adapter (wall wart) would not provide appropriate power for TX. Well, you might get away with EL power setting, but I would avoid. No problem though with RX and charging while using the AC adapter (0.65A). I do this five times a week.

I am also unsure about the KSC-25LSK desktop charger and TX simultaneously. I would expect that it would allow you to RX and charge at the same time though. Just power it off before connecting to any charger. I have not tried to TX with mine and I will avoid that.

The PG-3J 12V car adapter would supply enough amperage to charge and TX on high/5W. You could also wire up a fused power cord (PG-2W) to a power supply with at least 2 amps and TX.

I simply use a black metal bookend to hold handhelds. A slight bend supplies the desired angle.

I use a black SMA to BNC adapter. The antenna I use is a Diamond RH951S. It is labeled as a 2m, 70cm, and 23cm antenna, but you will find that it sweeps and works quite well on 1.25m. I have a Diamond 320A antenna and I use the RH951S instead.

One interesting thing I found is the Diamond RH77CA antenna works for receiving low band HF stations. I was quite surprised by this due to its size. Not as good as a long wire with a balun, but for a short antenna it works to some degree.

For programming I prefer the RT Systems software $25. I write to the MicroSD card then have the radio read it.

I only used it once so far for D-Star. It works.

wrath

I bought the whole shooting mach on preorder in May or June before it's release , based on its estimated battery performance I bought three batteries , didn't need that money but on a trip one recently got loose and destroyed , you can power from a 12 volt power supply well using it no problem,but honestly I would still get the fast charger it's pretty affordable and can charge batteries with or without the radio as someone mentioned the programming different configurations to the Sd it allows great versatility to reprogram the radio on the fly as well as recording/playback QSO'S.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.