Yaesu: FTM-400XDR how see what tone was saved in memory channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB6CJ

After I have saved info into channel memory, I want to check my values. I know how to see the freq, offset & offset value. Also know how to see if a tone is sent (at top, shows T-TX). But how do I see what tone value was saved into memory? Thanks.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Go back into the menu where you initially set the Tone frequency. This will show the tone set. For those that do not know, go into SETUP, SIGNALING and there it is under No. 1. Or No. 2 if set DCS.

AB6CJ

Thanks so much. I'm starting to understand this now. I didn't know how values were mysteriously stored into memory. Looks like the values are set all over the place in the menus & then all stored into memory. I didn't know I could look at those menu items to see the values after they were stored. I thought you just used them for the next memory write. Looks like if you look at the values after a memory channel is stored, & then you change the value, the new value will be stored into the memory channel without pressing the MW key. Is that right? Seems like you have to be very careful. Assuming you stored the correct value in the first place, then you should NOT be changing the values when in memory mode. You should ONLY change those values in VFO mode when you are preparing to store to another memory channel. Do I have this right?

Here's the list of things I found that are set in the menu items & stored into a memory channel. Do I have them all? (And of course, the freq is also set.)

DISP/SETUP hold
MEMORY; 1 ALPHA TAG SIZE
SIGNALING; 1 TONE SQL FREQ (set tone freq)
CONFIG; 4 AUTO RPT SHIFT; on/off
CONFIG; 5 RPT SHIFT
CONFIG; 6 RPT SHIFT FREQ
F/MW; SQL nnn (e.g., T-TX to transmit tone)

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
...snip...

Looks like if you look at the values after a memory channel is stored, & then you change the value, the new value will be stored into the memory channel without pressing the MW key. Is that right?

...snip...

No, a changed value will be in effect for the next store or VFO operation. Once the data is stored it does not change unless you do another MW.

Mike

AB6CJ

Well, that makes sense. But now I don't understand how it all works. The first question is, how do I see what tone was stored? What I do now is go to memory mode, go to a channel, then do: DISP/SETUP hold; SIGNALING; 1 TONE SQL FREQ . I think that shows me what's stored. Is that how to do it?

Here's what I tried to see how this works. For the example, I'll use the tone freq (menu shown above).

On Band A, VFO mode, set repeater freq for receive & then set tone freq to 91.5. Save into memory location 8 using MW. In memory mode, go to channel 8, change tone freq to 100.0 using menu item. Tap to make sure it goes from orange to green. Back out of menu. Did NOT use MW key.

Change channel to 9 & see that tone freq is different at 114.8. Go back to channel 8 & look at tone freq. It's now 100.0 . That's what I set it to in the step above, but that's NOT what I had it set to when I used the MW key.

Go to channel 5. Look at tone freq & change to 131.8 . Go back to channel 8 & look at tone freq. It's still 100.0 .

Looks like I've changed the tone freq for channel 8 just by changing the tone freq menu item without using the MW key. But if it's not REALLY changed, then how do I see the real value?

Thanks so much for your help. As you see, I'm a bit confused.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I'll amend what I said earlier after sitting at my 400D and playing with tone menu.

Select a channel and go to the setup signaling tone squelch frequency and what you see in green is the programmed tone. Switch it to orange and change to a different tone and switch back to green. That becomes the new tone frequency and is stored in the currently selected channel without using MW. Typically for other radios I've used, menu changes temporally effect a selected channel, but switch to another channel and back restores what was originally save.

That was a bit of a surprise and not expected. I know for sure the channel I selected that's how it works. Tone was 110.9 and I could bring up the repeater. Changed to 100 and could not, changed back to 110.9 and could. I could go one step further and after a change at the radio, read it back into my programming software (RTS) and see what changes were made. I'm not really that curious to cross check, but it something that might help you to get a feel for how front panel changes effect the stored information.

Not unusual for the manual to be obtuse about interactions between menu or so well hidden you can consider it not there.

Programming software will make life easier!

Mike

AB6CJ

It's all coming into focus now. Thanks so much for taking the time to look into it. And might be useful for others who are used to having it function a different way.

Also, it's good to know you must be VERY careful when changing certain values. If you don't understand the system, you might accidentally change something. Then at some point you can't reach the repeater & you'll say, "I didn't change anything!"

Once I learn how the radio works, I'll certainly program all the channels via the computer. But I also want to know how to do it on the fly. I'm a Red Cross volunteer so I never know where I'll be deployed. Might have to save channels on the go. Certainly don't want to be trying to figure it out during a big disaster (not to mention looking like an idiot).

So, to repeat slightly, I'd like to know all the info that's stored into a channel. Is there a complete list somewhere? Here's the list I've created. Did I miss anything?

DISP/SETUP hold
MEMORY; 1 ALPHA TAG SIZE
CONFIG; 5 RPT SHIFT
CONFIG; 6 RPT SHIFT FREQ
F/MW
SQL nnn (e.g., T-TX to transmit tone)
Tx PWR

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'll amend what I said earlier after sitting at my 400D and playing with tone menu.

Select a channel and go to the setup signaling tone squelch frequency and what you see in green is the programmed tone. Switch it to orange and change to a different tone and switch back to green. That becomes the new tone frequency and is stored in the currently selected channel without using MW. Typically for other radios I've used, menu changes temporally effect a selected channel, but switch to another channel and back restores what was originally save.

That was a bit of a surprise and not expected. I know for sure the channel I selected that's how it works. Tone was 110.9 and I could bring up the repeater. Changed to 100 and could not, changed back to 110.9 and could. I could go one step further and after a change at the radio, read it back into my programming software (RTS) and see what changes were made. I'm not really that curious to cross check, but it something that might help you to get a feel for how front panel changes effect the stored information.

Not unusual for the manual to be obtuse about interactions between menu or so well hidden you can consider it not there.

Programming software will make life easier!

Mike
This makes it really easy to change Tone/Tone Sql.. Recently worked at a public service event and wanted to change my cross band repeat tone. Since I already had Tone/Tone Sql for the frequency I was using, all I had to do was go into SIGNALLING and change tone. Even when you do not have a Tone or Tone Sql for a frequency, one just has to turn them on. That is, no fiddling with going to VFO and turning all parameters on, then having to MW all this info. Just putting tone on will keep that on the memory frequency. This makes it real easy to change tones if travelling to another area where Tone is different. One just has to remember to change the Tone frequency back to your local area. Or if added Tone/Tone Sql to a frequency, it will remain unless you remove the Tone/Tone Sql. function.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
So, to repeat slightly, I'd like to know all the info that's stored into a channel. Is there a complete list somewhere? Here's the list I've created. Did I miss anything?

DISP/SETUP hold
MEMORY; 1 ALPHA TAG SIZE
CONFIG; 5 RPT SHIFT
CONFIG; 6 RPT SHIFT FREQ
F/MW
Tx PWR

Your question is not easily answered in my option. Example is the RX and TX frequency. Is the TX stored as frequency or SHIFT Direction and FREQ offset. So I backed into the question from the programming software side and what I have to or can store for a selected channel number.

What I attached is the best I can do for a list. All columns are turned on for display so nothing is missing. I don't include the far right column as it for comments and is not loaded into the radio.

This is also a radio setting menu I also included, which is outside of channel settings.

All screen captures from RTS-400 programing software, credit where credit is do... :D

Mike

Attachments

• RTS_400_Header.jpg
    RTS_400_Header.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 68
  • RTS_400_RadioSet.jpg
    RTS_400_RadioSet.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 72

AB6CJ

I should have said that I wanted a list of all items that COULD be saved with the MW key, depending on the options you choose. Wanted a list of things I should check before each save. I would have to know that if I use certain options then other items would be irrelevant.

Thank you for your attachments. Quite helpful, tho now I have MORE questions.

For the one that shows what's saved for a channel, I wasn't sure about what "operating mode" was, which had "FM". In the manual, "operating mode" (V/M soft key) means switching between VFO & memory mode. So couldn't be that. Manual then has "communication mode" (DX key). Choices are: bar icon for Automatic Mode Select (AMS), DN, VW/DW, FM (analog). Did it mean this? Manual also has "Modulation Mode" (DISP/SETUP hold; TX/RX; MODE), with FM, Narrow FM & AM. Did it mean this? This is the only one that seems to be saved in the memory channel so maybe this is it. I'm adding this one to the list.

Not sure what Tone Mode is. Is that what's set with: F/MW; SQL nnn ?

Also found out about DCS Code so I'm adding that also. And other things on your attachment.

So here's my new list. Do you know of any additions?

DISP/SETUP hold
TX/RX; MODE
MEMORY; 1 ALPHA TAG SIZE
SIGNALING
1 TONE SQL FREQ (set tone freq)
2 DCS CODE
6 PRG REV TONE
CONFIG
4 AUTO RPT SHIFT; on/off
5 RPT SHIFT
6 RPT SHIFT FREQ
7 FM AM STEP
9 CLOCK TYPE
F/MW
Tx PWR
skip/select from
F/MW; SKIP/SEL OR Display; V/M hold; SKIP/SEL

also saved in MW menu:
freq
name
TX freq (TxIN)

Looks like you are using the Yaesu SW on your computer. Do you like it better than the RT Systems SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.