Yaesu: which headset for Yaesu FTM-400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB6CJ

Wanted to get a headset for my Yaesu FTM-400XDR (mobile, dual band). HRO said there's nothing available as just a headset. They said you have to buy a Heil headset & get the appropriate adapters but they didn't know which headset nor which adapters. Does anyone know what I can buy to get this to work with my radio? Thanks.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The folks at your HRO aren't trying very hard.

Heil Sound has an adapter selector on their web site. According to that, if you go with the Traveler headset, which is a light headset, you need a Heil HSTA-YM6 adapter.

Because there are so many different radios with variations on mic plug wiring, most headset manufacturers use adapters to connect their headsets to specific radios.

AB6CJ

Thanks for the info about the Heil Sound adapter selector. Looks great. Not sure how all this works, but looks like you plug it all together in this order:

(for mic) headset; AD-1Y; AD-100; mic jack on radio
PTT device; AD-1Y
(for speaker) headset; external speaker jack on radio

Is that right? Then I need to buy a PTT device (thought it would be with the headset, but I guess not). The cost sure adds up when you need so many pieces. I think a hand held PTT would be good. Any suggestions?

The headsets are pricey. They list traveler, which sounds small/inexpensive, but looks like it's no longer made. Heil sells a headset for an HT, but it's not on the list, so guess that won't work.

The diagram they use to show how to plug it all together says to plug the headset into the "headphone output". But for my radio, it's designated for an external speaker. Will it work? I was told any external speaker must have the right impedance, so don't know if that would work. But if Heil says it'll work, guess they know what they're talking about.

In my radio manual, it says: AF output impedance = 4 - 16 ohms. Is that for the external speaker? It doesn't really say.

Looks like I'm well on my way to getting all the info I need. Thanks so much.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The FTM-400 has a stereo audio output so that band A appears on one channel and band B on the other. There is a stereo to mono adapter supplied with the radio to combine both bands. The speaker jack is not designed for headphones in the sense that the level will be very high. Amazon has in line volume controls and I would suggest getting one to reduce the level to the headphones. You can get hand operated PTT switches or foot switches. Don't be too concerned about impedance with the headphones. It may make a difference with an external speaker, but the power needed for the headphones is minimal. Any impedance mismatch can be ignored.

Another more elegant solution would be to buy the Bluetooth module and headset for this radio. Very surprised HRO didn't suggest this. I have a friend who has this and he uses it mobile. No cords, no external PTT switch. Definitely the best way to go.

Last edited:

AB6CJ

I plan to get a 1 ear headset so I'll be sure to use the mono/stereo adaptor.
Thanks for the in line volume control info. But can't I just control the vol with the radio controls? Maybe I'll give it a try & see how it works.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I think you'll find that you have to turn the volume almost all the way down. This could have a bad effect on the signal to noise ratio. Also you could blast your ears if you accidentally turn it up too far.

k6cpo

I did just this same adaptation to a Yaesu FTM-100DR for at home net operations and I have no doubt it would work on the FTM-400XDR I have in my vehicle. My issue with the FTM-100 was that I have to turn the volume up, not down, to hear properly in the headset. I bought the Heil ProMicro single sided headset so I could use it in the truck if I so chose. (In CA you cannot have headphones covering both ears in a vehicle.)

I didn't want to use the headset all the time and it was a hassle to break down the setup each time so I built a switch box to switch from hand microphone and speaker to the headset and foot (or hand) switch for PTT.

AB6CJ

I was thinking of getting the Pro Micro too. I hope to do EmComm & want to be able to heard around me. I was hoping to use this headset on my HT's also. Heil does not have my HT's on their selector site so I'll call Monday to see if they have connectors. Hope so. With the proper connectors, is there any reason why the Pro Micro would NOT work on HT's?

k6cpo

I was thinking of getting the Pro Micro too. I hope to do EmComm & want to be able to heard around me. I was hoping to use this headset on my HT's also. Heil does not have my HT's on their selector site so I'll call Monday to see if they have connectors. Hope so. With the proper connectors, is there any reason why the Pro Micro would NOT work on HT's?

What kind of HT do you have?

With the proper adapters, the Pro Micro would probably work with an HT, but you're probably going to have to make your own. I doubt Heil has them because they also sell a very good compact headset designed specifically for HTs. It's called the HTH and it has separate models for Yaesu, Kenwood and iCom HTs. I have one of these for my Yaesu HTs and the audio quality is excellent. HRO seels the HTH for under $30.

I used it on my Yaesu FT1D at a Marine Corps air show right after I got it and the net control operator said my friend (who also had one) and I had the cleanest audio of anyone else on the net.

AB6CJ

Actually, I'm going back & forth between the Pro Micro & the HTH. I want to buy ONE headset to be used for my mobile & HT. Nice to hear the HTH is great quality. I'd actually prefer that since it's smaller & I'll be traveling with it. I won't be using it much but when I do use it, it will be for extended periods. It'll be mostly for emergency coms. My HT is Alinco DJ-580, which is old & not on the Heil selector site. It has 2 jacks (1 mic, 1 speaker). So I chose the Alinco listed on the Heil site with 2 prongs & it said there were NO headsets/adaptors.

I really don't want to do it, but let's say I make my own adaptors. Would I be able to use either headset with either radio? I.e., are the 2 headsets compatible with the 2 radios as long as I have the correct adaptors?

k6cpo

Actually, I'm going back & forth between the Pro Micro & the HTH. I want to buy ONE headset to be used for my mobile & HT. Nice to hear the HTH is great quality. I'd actually prefer that since it's smaller & I'll be traveling with it. I won't be using it much but when I do use it, it will be for extended periods. It'll be mostly for emergency coms. My HT is Alinco DJ-580, which is old & not on the Heil selector site. It has 2 jacks (1 mic, 1 speaker). So I chose the Alinco listed on the Heil site with 2 prongs & it said there were NO headsets/adaptors.

I really don't want to do it, but let's say I make my own adaptors. Would I be able to use either headset with either radio? I.e., are the 2 headsets compatible with the 2 radios as long as I have the correct adaptors?

I'm familiar with the Alinco (I have a DJ-180 and a DJ-280). I think you'd get frustrated trying to adapt either headset to the Alinco. Even if you found the correct connectors and wired it correctly, there's no guarantee the headset would work with the radio. You might consider looking for an Alinco EMS-8 hand mic. It's not a headset, but it does have a socket for an earphone on the microphone.

At one time I thought about trying to adapt the HTH-Y to my mobile radio, but after a lot of looking around at connectors and cables, I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it.

AB6CJ

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should give up on 1 headset for everything. I already have an Alinco hand mic with earphone jack. Just thought it would be nice to have one headset for all. Sounds like that might not be possible.

I also have a Baofeng F8HP. Might see if I can get a headset for that AND my mobile (Yaesu FTM-400).

k6cpo

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should give up on 1 headset for everything. I already have an Alinco hand mic with earphone jack. Just thought it would be nice to have one headset for all. Sounds like that might not be possible.

I also have a Baofeng F8HP. Might see if I can get a headset for that AND my mobile (Yaesu FTM-400).

I think you're going to run into the same issues of adapters. The connectors on HTs and mobile radios, even from the same manufacturer, are so different, it's just not feasible trying to use one headset for both.

I believe the Heil HTH for Kenwood is the one you would need to get for a Baofeng. And the Heil HTH, no matter what model, retails for less than $30...

AB6CJ

Ok, sounds like the HTH is good to start with. And the mobile headset will come later.

FTM-100DR and Heil

K6CPO,

Hey Chief, just curious about your FTM-100DR set up with the Pro Micro set up---I purchased a single-sided promicro headset, the AD-100 and the AD-1-Y as recommended by the Heil website, along with the handheld PTT switch. However, when I connect it all together, I cannot get the PTT to activate the radio and transmit? Is there a setting on the radio I need to change, or am I likely dealing with a faulty adaptor?

Thanks Shipmate!

John
LCDR, also A Lazy Retired Guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.