Yaesu: Vx7r memory groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

So I've had this radio for several years now. It has always worked, save a few times it would lock up on me but I think I figured that out. Now, memory groups are found by pressing f+9, rotate to option 2 press ptt, select group, v/m. I've noticed now that doesn't work any more. It has always worked fine. Now when I go through steps 1,2,and3, nothing happens when I press ptt. I can go to broadcast, works, go to marine, works.. Nothing on the groups. I went to reprogram the radio with the software (which has always been a pain in the a$$) nothing. No communication. I thought it was my cable, so I tried another. Same thing. So resetting the file with the software is out. I have over 500 memories in this thing. I would hate to do a reset and redo it by hand. Has anyone ran across this before?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

w2xq

Mentor
I can't help you with the VX7-R, but what I've done as a backup to my VX6-R entries (and other radios) is have the memory data in a spreadsheet. I use Google Sheets most of the time and Libreoffice some of the time. Àlmost any spreadsheet that can read and write CSV files can minimize data loss, and sorts and rearrangement may help if putting data into your next new radio.

wrath

I can't help you with the VX7-R, but what I've done as a backup to my VX6-R entries (and other radios) is have the memory data in a spreadsheet. I use Google Sheets most of the time and Libreoffice some of the time. Àlmost any spreadsheet that can read and write CSV files can minimize data loss, and sorts and rearrangement may help if putting data into your next new radio.
RT Systems works that way i have one file that i use across 15 different radios,that's even easier than an office file .The only caveat s remembering when you switch radios and cables to reload the drivers for the cable, which would be my suggestion to the OP ,try reloading the chip drivers and then try establishing communications with radio again ,if I forget it doesnt find the com port .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

w2xq

Mentor
Wrath, i was thinking more broad brush. I haven't had a an RTS sw package on a PC in 10 years, nor can I find a CD or the cables. Actually the spreadsheet has more info in it covering more than amateur radio. I include police, fire, emergency services, state, county, addresses, and lat/long coordinates, towers among other things. The latter produces antenna bearings and distances. I include area cell towers too; useful when discussing why lack of phone coverage. With the inclusion of a few icon choices, the spreadsheet can generate a KML file for Google Earth. One stop shop, and I don't have figure out where all the separate files where (1) saved and (2) named. Easier on me to find info. Just an idea.

KK4ELO

Wrath, the cable problem is in the radio jack itself. It must have a contact messed up because I tried two separate cables, then I noticed that my speaker/mic don't work right either.

W2xq, I have no idea what your talking about, or how it has to do with the problem I have. Or is that a new way to program? If so, that's out of the question as the jack is bad..

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Wrath, the cable problem is in the radio jack itself. It must have a contact messed up because I tried two separate cables, then I noticed that my speaker/mic don't work right either.

W2xq, I have no idea what your talking about, or how it has to do with the problem I have. Or is that a new way to program? If so, that's out of the question as the jack is bad..

Its been a long while back when I had a VX6, much like the 7. Your comment about the speaker-mic reminded me that the plug on the cord for that radio is much longer than usual and must be screwed in for its water resistance rating. I seem to recall the data cable from RTS had the long shank without the threads so you didn't have to screw it down just push until it seated.

If my recall is correct maybe you communication issue is getting the cable seated fully or using the correct cable.

Good Luck,
Mike

KK4ELO

Its been a long while back when I had a VX6, much like the 7. Your comment about the speaker-mic reminded me that the plug on the cord for that radio is much longer than usual and must be screwed in for its water resistance rating. I seem to recall the data cable from RTS had the long shank without the threads so you didn't have to screw it down just push until it seated.

If my recall is correct maybe you communication issue is getting the cable seated fully or using the correct cable.

Good Luck,
Mike
No, it's something with the contact inside the jack. The cables and mic have always worked fine before, but noticed none of them (3) work anymore.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
No, it's something with the contact inside the jack. The cables and mic have always worked fine before, but noticed none of them (3) work anymore.

Plan "B"

Isopropyl alcohol & canned air

Wipe down the plug ends with alcohol and dry off.

Two ways to approach the socket.
Wet the plug end and then in/out a few times in the socket.

AND/OR

Something firm and lint free fitting the socket hole. Wet it down and swap the socket. Try not to let any fibers hang up in the socket.

Finish off with canned air, stroking with plug between air blast.

It's not working and I don't think the above will hurt unless fibers get hung in the socket that not working anyway. :D

There might be and probably are switch contacts making and breaking associated with the plug insertion. Not much can be done about cleaning those contacts unless you want to try spay contact cleaner. I always view that as high risk, last resort.

Again! Good Luck,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.