Screen Protectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...

I realize the screen size on our hand held units are approximately 1 1/2 inches wide by 1 inch high... but how many of us have either thought about, or even installed/applied a screen protector?

Many cell phone screen protectors could be cut down to the correct size and used. Considering the rough usage a hand held takes (in comparison to mobile or base), it might help to resist scratches.

What say you...

73's to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I was thinking of this same thing this morning for my scanner. I'm likely to get one, because they are inexpensive and can be cut down to size, and it's cheaper than repairing or replacing the unit.

mancow

Database Admin
There's a post here somewhere in an SDS100 thread with a link to a custom made/sized protector vendor.

Golay

Been there done that.

I did this with my FT-2DR. I took off the initial screen saver that came with it, used it to make a template out of stiff cardboard, and have put 2 or 3 cellphone screen savers on it so far.

NC1

I would rather have the manufacturer make them with glass instead of plastic. If the cell phone companies can do it for cheap, then I think it would not be difficult to do for scanners and two way radios.

If there is a problem with cost, then just source a bunch of surplus and make the screen fit the size of the sourced part. Gorilla Glass would be great but I don't know what the chances of that happening would be.

A lot of the screens on scanners and such are about the same size as existing cellphone faces, so I don't see a problem here. Just think how much better it would be without those scratches that would not be there in the first place had the window been glass instead of that cheap plastic.

This should have been a "no brainer" for the ones who design these things, I thought of this 10 years ago.

kayleesdad

Had to put a screen protector on the kenwood 74a because the screen isn't recessed and the soft plastic scratches easily. Used an old universal cut to fit cell phone screen protector.

PACNWDude

have used screen protectors on many radios, but mostly on those used on the bridges of ships and boats, for night operations. Some of them do not have much adjustment for brightness, and in some cases, I used the privacy style screen protectors so you had to look straight on to see the screen clearly. This made the display more directional, which also helped me with a Garmin GPS in my car in the past. Not having back lit light spilling out all over can be beneficial at night, even if the device has a night mode or dimmable display

Status
Not open for further replies.