DPL to CTCSS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBGOps

I'm an older callsign (KJ6FQD) that hasn't been active for a few years. I have some questions regarding digital to analog TX/RX.... PLEASE.... Any info, wisdom, or commentary is welcome and much appreciated. THANK YOU in advance.

QUESTION 1: Can an 2M analog HH radio receive and transmit on a digital frequency using a DPL/DCS Code?

QUESTION 2: Is there a way of converting a DPL Code to a CTCSS Code??

Again, Please and Thank You!

73's,
Chris
KJ6FQD

nd5y

QUESTION 1: Can an 2M analog HH radio receive and transmit on a digital frequency using a DPL/DCS Code?
What do you mean by digital frequency? There is no such thing. You don't need PL or DPL for receiving analog FM. Digital voice modes like D-STAR, DMR and YSF C4FM don't use DPL (DCS) or PL (CTCSS). An analog-only radio can't decode digital modes, you will only hear digital noise.
QUESTION 2: Is there a way of converting a DPL Code to a CTCSS Code??
No. They are two different incompatible things. Most modern amateur radios that are capable of analog FM have both CTCSS and DCS but you can't use both at the same time.

If you don't know exactly how CTCSS and DCS work I would suggest reading this: A historical and technical overview of tone squelch (PL, CG, QC, CTCSS, etc.) systems.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
They are two different incompatible things. Most modern amateur radios that are capable of analog FM have both CTCSS and DCS but you can't use both at the same time.

It is, however, possible that a repeater could use a DCS on the input and a CTCSS on the output and vice-versa, so depending on what he's looking at, calling them incompatible might be confusing.

DBGOps

Okay folks, first off: THANK YOU for the comments. It does clear up part of my question.

My new question is: Can an analogue radio be set up in any manner in order to listen clearly to a digital radio?

For example, if I wanted to SCAN a police departments frequency but it was digital can I program my analogue radio to listen without the digital noise?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
No. Totally impossible.

What you can do with some radios is use a discriminator tap modification to feed raw baseband audio into a computer sound card and use DSDPlus to decode the digital audio.

That is definitely a way to do it. I used an RTL dongle for control channel monitoring and a scanner with a disc tap for voice decode. Not the most ideal but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.