Yaesu: What is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

King18471

Does anyone know what this is. I bought a radio from eBay and this was pictured with it and is currently being shipped to me. The seller didn’t have much info on it. He just said it was “attached to the radio”. I don’t know how it was attached or anything. Thanks for the help. I believe the radio is a European model because it is a yaesu with a N-type coax connector. If that helps.

15e5eb324c40c31adefbbae79d51db4f.png
a7f795dde06b1e64d5d01c3ffe9d1c8f.png
f67f03d675eaa033551c743420f0fab2.png

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
It looks like an adapter that would plug into a car cigarette lighter socket for power. What model Yaesu radio did you buy?

Murphy625

I bet if it fits into a standard cigarette lighter port then that's exactly what it is.

Might want to do a continuity check between the tip and sides.. is that an insulator I see between the two?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what this is. I bought a radio from eBay and this was pictured with it and is currently being shipped to me. The seller didn’t have much info on it. He just said it was “attached to the radio”. I don’t know how it was attached or anything. Thanks for the help. I believe the radio is a European model because it is a yaesu with a N-type coax connector. If that helps.

15e5eb324c40c31adefbbae79d51db4f.png
a7f795dde06b1e64d5d01c3ffe9d1c8f.png
f67f03d675eaa033551c743420f0fab2.png
What is the other end connected to?

Sent using Tapatalk

King18471

I bet if it fits into a standard cigarette lighter port then that's exactly what it is.

Might want to do a continuity check between the tip and sides.. is that an insulator I see between the two?

I’ll try that once I get it. I really don’t have any info on it from the seller.

Driverj30t9

Some semis I've driven have a cigarette jack in them that looks kinda like that so maybe just a cigarette plug.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
What?

That does look like a power plug for a cigarette lighter. The FT90R is a great radio and great for mobile. If you can find one, the separation kit makes it even better for mounting the radio body in the trunk and control head near the driver. If you run it from the plug, do not go above medium power. Most lighter sockets have 10 amp fuses and high power will pull too much current. Some vehicles have auxiliary jacks with higher current capacity, so check before you have to find the fuse and replace it. The radio is easy to program wiothout software.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I would never power a 50W radio through a cigarette lighter plug.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I would never power a 50W radio through a cigarette lighter plug.

If it’s a 20A power point, no issues for temporary setups. Been there, done that, never had an issue in modern vehicles both 25 and 50w LMR and amateur radios.

In vehicles where the cigarette lighter was actually used to light cigarettes, then there can be issues, I have, however, had a plug melt due to dirty, high resistance contacts due to smokers using the lighter.

I have also had no issue using 10A power points with 50w radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look At The Other End...

A previous poster asked, ie: "What's on the other end"... to which "King 18471" replied in part (see below).

I’m not sure.

I have found the easiest way to find "what's on the other end" of a cable is to lightly grasp the cable in your hand and slowly pull it until the end that "you don't know what's on it" is now in your hand. At this point you're able to see... "what's on the other end". Problems now solved.

73 to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

KN4OTS

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
European models may have limited frequency coverage compared to US models. Two meters will be 144-146 and 70cm will be 430-440. May be able to open up older models. I was just in Japan and visited 3 radio stores in Tokyo. Lots of nice radios, but none that covered US bands. Same with antennas. The prices weren't any better there and sometimes higher. Same with camera equipment. No US warranty either.

DJ11DLN

All the OP has is pictures from the seller...

This place needs a like button...the original post plainly stated that he'd bought it on eBay and it is in transit, not in his hands. Not intending to be a grump (the "curmudgeon" thread a few weeks back comes to mind...) but people should read through the thread before replying. No offense intended to anybody but this kinda of stuff really does get old.

King18471

A previous poster asked, ie: "What's on the other end"... to which "King 18471" replied in part (see below).

I have found the easiest way to find "what's on the other end" of a cable is to lightly grasp the cable in your hand and slowly pull it until the end that "you don't know what's on it" is now in your hand. At this point you're able to see... "what's on the other end". Problems now solved.

73 to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

KN4OTS

Another good technique is to continue reading to understand that I do not yet have the equipment, which I’ve stated a couple times now. It makes the “lightly grasping” part of your solution difficult. Thanks anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

King18471

Thank you to everyone for the help on this topic. Once I actually receive the item I hope to figure out for sure what it is and I’ll post it here.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
It looks like someone pulled the lighter plug out and the vehicle part came out with it. I suspect the silver piece is part of the vehicle.

King18471

European models may have limited frequency coverage compared to US models. Two meters will be 144-146 and 70cm will be 430-440. May be able to open up older models. I was just in Japan and visited 3 radio stores in Tokyo. Lots of nice radios, but none that covered US bands. Same with antennas. The prices weren't any better there and sometimes higher. Same with camera equipment. No US warranty either.

Thanks for this info. I did look into this and it appears that it covers the US ham bands. Hopefully I got that right or else I just wasted a good chunk of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.