Yaesu: Yaesu FTM400 operator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I have all my analog channels in B in memory. I have all my wires and aprs in A side. I programmed my analog repeater in B and don't hear it until I switch to A side then can hear it just fine. As soon as I switch back it mutes the B side which is now the active channel. New radio and Old operator just asking for help

k6cpo

Are you using an external speaker? If so, is it a stereo speaker or a mono speaker? If it's a mono speaker did you use the stereo to mono adapter that came with the radio?

Here's why I'm asking: The radio is designed so that the audio is "stereo." In other words, the "A" side comes out on one side of the audio output and the "B" side on the other side of the audio output. The internal speaker is wired so both A and B are heard through the speaker, but the external speaker jack is wired as described above. If you plug a pair of stereo headphones into the speaker jack you will hear the A side in one ear and the B side in the other.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I thought you were right as soon as I saw the email. I ran outside and unplugged the external speaker and checked and it was same issue. Still no audio on the channel I'm on unless I make it the sub band then I hear it. Also I have been reading the manual and the mute isn't set on that band either. Thank you for your input! It is very much appreciated

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Volume could be turned to "0" on the "B" side. Each side has it own control level. :)

I couldn't find an adaptor that was 1/8" stereo plug for the radio that split out the left and right to 1/8" mono jacks. Lots split to RCA so I replaced the RCA with mono 1/8" jack. Now when listening to A and B the speaker separation helps to identify which it came from.

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I checked that already thank you for the input

How about squelch? There is a B side menu squelch level that can be change with the front panel knob. I'm not sure how it gets back to the menu level when changed on memory channel. Might be a power cycle takes you back to the menu level.

or

The programing of the tone mode CTCSS/DCS is different between the A and B sides.

Mike

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
it wasn't the squelch either. I eventually got tired of looking thru menus and options without anything to show for it so I did a factory reset and now they are both working. Thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.