HT Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9RNW

Hi all,

I am looking to acquire a new handheld transceiver. I am not really an "expert", so a radio being easy to learn is important.

One critical feature is DTMF sequence hotkeys, allowing you to program different buttons to transmit a specific DTMF code string. A feature I would like is being able to listen "watch" two frequencies at once, although I have only seen this feature on $400+ radios so far. It also needs to be rain-proof.

Of the ones I've seen so far, I like the Yaesu FT-4XR, as it seems relatively basic and has the ability to transmit on GMRS frequencies in addition to 70cm (which would save me from buying a second HT).

Any insight is welcome :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi all,

I am looking to acquire a new handheld transceiver. I am not really an "expert", so a radio being easy to learn is important.

One critical feature is DTMF sequence hotkeys, allowing you to program different buttons to transmit a specific DTMF code string. A feature I would like is being able to listen "watch" two frequencies at once, although I have only seen this feature on $400+ radios so far. It also needs to be rain-proof.

Of the ones I've seen so far, I like the Yaesu FT-4XR, as it seems relatively basic and has the ability to transmit on GMRS frequencies in addition to 70cm (which would save me from buying a second HT).

Any insight is welcome :)

The Yaesu's are usually pretty good, easy to use and generally pretty rain proof. I used to have a VX-170, and it was submersible.

Point of order, though…
Amateur radio equipment, like the Yaesu, do not have any type certification on the transmitter, so they cannot be legally used outside the amateur radio bands. Specifically, they cannot be used on GMRS, even though some may tell you they can be modified to do that.

If you need a radio suitable for GMRS use, there are plenty of commercial radios out there that will legally meet your needs, including coverage on the 70cm band and the DTMF programming.

K9RNW

The Yaesu's are usually pretty good, easy to use and generally pretty rain proof. I used to have a VX-170, and it was submersible.

Point of order, though…
Amateur radio equipment, like the Yaesu, do not have any type certification on the transmitter, so they cannot be legally used outside the amateur radio bands. Specifically, they cannot be used on GMRS, even though some may tell you they can be modified to do that.

If you need a radio suitable for GMRS use, there are plenty of commercial radios out there that will legally meet your needs, including coverage on the 70cm band and the DTMF programming.

Your point is understood. I thought it might be GMRS certified since Yaesu claims it transmits from 400-480 out of the box. Even if it's not...the obvious question is whether the FCC would care or anyone would notice, since its max power output is well under the legal limit and probably works just like any "certified" transceiver.

FKimble

The USA version is 430-450 transmit. The Asian version is the 400-480 transmit version. The devil is in the details

Frank KK4YTM

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Even if it's not...the obvious question is whether the FCC would care or anyone would notice, since its max power output is well under the legal limit and probably works just like any "certified" transceiver.

Unlikely any one would notice, or the FCC would care.

However, even if it's under the legal limit and performs just as well as a "certified" transceiver, you do risk not only your amateur radio license, but also your GMRS license. And since you posted this on a public website with your amateur radio call sign, you've sort of made it known to anyone who wants to check.

It is easy to do this legally, and it doesn't require any risk. The proper radios are out there.

But, yes, ultimately it is your choice.

Hey 9RNW :)
I am not sure about whether you are looking for a multi-band radio- or if just two metre's fine.
Therefore I am going to suggest my favorite, a quite innocuous little 2 metre handheld.... the Icom T2H. (IC-T2H)
Its no longer in production- such a pity- but its a very nice radio available, still, over the "Net.
Example--
https://www.ebay.com/p/Icom-IC-T2H-Radio-Transceiver/129593171
The above, brand new-in-the-box, is only TEN DOLLARS ! If I didn't have too many 'toys' already you would not be reading this.... :)
I recommend the T2H because of the ease in programming, the good audio, the sensitive receiver, the Icom reputation----- and most of all, from an experience about a month ago....
I was crossing a stream high in the Sawatch Range (Colorado) - my (T2H) radio in my hip pocket--- intermittently I was talking idly across the state on the Colorado Connection-- the link'd repeater system-------
Then I slipped .... on a rock; Down in to what a few minutes before had been a melting snow field- the radio meanwhile cheerfully talking away--
Under Water
My dogs, meanwhile thinking this was some new game, proceed'd to pile on top of me, pushing me deeper into the stream.
The T2H survived perfectly. I had to dry out the battery case, but it survived a prolong'd dunking, a smashing between my butt and the rocks of the stream... while not 100% water proof, that was good enuff for me.
I have carried this T2H thru out the world, and I would buy another if I didn't have too many thingy's already.

(Oh, and BTW-- it is a easy hack to 'open it up'.. clip one of those surface mount shorts (YouTube) and it will X'mit 136-175Mhz.
One guess if I haven't done that already .... :) )
Lauri :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Murphy625

Hey 9RNW :)
I am not sure about whether you are looking for a multi-band radio- or if just two metre's fine.
Therefore I am going to suggest my favorite, a quite innocuous little 2 metre handheld.... the Icom T2H. (IC-T2H)
Its no longer in production- such a pity- but its a very nice radio available, still, over the "Net.
Example--
https://www.ebay.com/p/Icom-IC-T2H-Radio-Transceiver/129593171
The above, brand new-in-the-box, is only TEN DOLLARS ! If I didn't have too many 'toys' already you would not be reading this.... :)
I recommend the T2H because of the ease in programming, the good audio, the sensitive receiver, the Icom reputation----- and most of all, from an experience about a month ago....
I was crossing a stream high in the Sawatch Range (Colorado) - my (T2H) radio in my hip pocket--- intermittently I was talking idly across the state on the Colorado Connection-- the link'd repeater system-------
Then I slipped .... on a rock; Down in to what a few minutes before had been a melting snow field- the radio meanwhile cheerfully talking away--
Under Water
My dogs, meanwhile thinking this was some new game, proceed'd to pile on top of me, pushing me deeper into the stream.
The T2H survived perfectly. I had to dry out the battery case, but it survived a prolong'd dunking, a smashing between my butt and the rocks of the stream... while not 100% water proof, that was good enuff for me.
I have carried this T2H thru out the world, and I would buy another if I didn't have too many thingy's already.

(Oh, and BTW-- it is a easy hack to 'open it up'.. clip one of those surface mount shorts (YouTube) and it will X'mit 136-175Mhz.
One guess if I haven't done that already .... :) )
You want him to buy an empty box for $10 + $10 in shipping?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Your point is understood. I thought it might be GMRS certified since Yaesu claims it transmits from 400-480 out of the box. Even if it's not...the obvious question is whether the FCC would care or anyone would notice, since its max power output is well under the legal limit and probably works just like any "certified" transceiver.

The FCC would care, if they ever had a reason to check. (Which is unlikely, unless someone complains.)

Sent using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Kenwood has the DTMF string capabilities in some radios, for a messaging method. Most of the handhelds in the last 15, or so, years have been water tolerant.

Sent using Tapatalk

K9RNW

Unlikely any one would notice, or the FCC would care.

However, even if it's under the legal limit and performs just as well as a "certified" transceiver, you do risk not only your amateur radio license, but also your GMRS license. And since you posted this on a public website with your amateur radio call sign, you've sort of made it known to anyone who wants to check.

It is easy to do this legally, and it doesn't require any risk. The proper radios are out there.

But, yes, ultimately it is your choice.

If the FCC is that strict, then point taken. I was under the impression the rules were geared towards manufacturers/commercial users and not individual hobbyists with licenses. It looks like the Tx frequency range Yaesu stated is for their Asian market's model, not the US version which is strictly 400-450, so it's a moot point either way.

I've been wondering whether or not I need digital. It seems like there are some DMR and even more Fusion repeaters around (https://www.ilra.net/DirByRegByCity.html). However from what I have read, most radio traffic is still FM analog anyway. The mobile I really want as a base radio, the Kenwood D710GA, does not do any digital protocol. My *only* worry is being left out of a good number of transmissions, I couldn't really care less about digital otherwise.

With regards to an HT, the Yaesu FT-70DR seems like the best option, unless the consensus here is that it's design is mediocre for some reason.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If the FCC is that strict, then point taken. I was under the impression the rules were geared towards manufacturers/commercial users and not individual hobbyists with licenses. It looks like the Tx frequency range Yaesu stated is for their Asian market's model, not the US version which is strictly 400-450, so it's a moot point either way.

The FCC is, if you get caught (unlikely). There is no exemption for amateurs, hobbyists, etc. As an amateur radio license offers you no privileges on GMRS, it won't matter. A valid GMRS license is required by the FCC to use anything more than the consumer 2 watt radios on GMRS. Part of that license (as well as the amateur license) requires knowing, understanding and following all the rules as they apply to the specific radio service you are utilizing. Since amateur and GMRS are separate radio services, the rules are not interchangeable and one license does not cover the other service.

I've been wondering whether or not I need digital. It seems like there are some DMR and even more Fusion repeaters around (https://www.ilra.net/DirByRegByCity.html). However from what I have read, most radio traffic is still FM analog anyway. The mobile I really want as a base radio, the Kenwood D710GA, does not do any digital protocol. My *only* worry is being left out of a good number of transmissions, I couldn't really care less about digital otherwise.

With regards to an HT, the Yaesu FT-70DR seems like the best option, unless the consensus here is that it's design is mediocre for some reason.

This is a good question.
Amateur radio does not have one standard digital mode. There are many in use, they are not interchangeable and no one makes a radio that covers all of them.
So, basically you have to buy into a digital mode, and hope that's the one that is going to work for you.
Individual amateurs and amateur radio clubs will "choose" a digital mode (or two, three, etc) and run with it.
Many clubs and individual amateurs will try to encourage their own specific choice as "the right one" for everyone.

Unless you belong to a specific radio club or have a very specific repeater/system you want to use, randomly picking one digital mode will likely not be a good choice.

As you said, most amateur radio traffic on VHF/UHF is analog FM, and that will give you the best bang for your buck.
If this is your first radio, don't expect it to be your last. Getting a basic radio that will get you on the air is a very good first step. Once you get some experience under your belt and figure out what's going on in your specific area, then consider going to digital.

A basic analog radio will serve you well for a long time. Analog FM isn't going away any time soon, so it will always be a good investment.

I had a Kenwood TM-d710 for many years, and it was a great radio. The APRS function can be a lot of fun to play with. The radio itself will serve you well for years to come.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
K9RNW,
Looks like RepeaterBook list 152 repeaters within 25 miles of your zip code. About 15 list a Color Code so they are DMR. DStar and Fusion likely in the mix, but that information requires going into the individual repeaters to see the details or a different website. Not everything you will find is on-the-air.

Point is you are in a target rich environment. Good Hunting!
Mike

"You want him to buy an empty box for $10 + $10 in shipping?"
:)
Closer look-- oh Geeeez...
"....................Model: BOX ONLY for the Icom IC-T2H."
The Devil's in the details, No ? Ah well... that's eBay for you........

Movieman990

September 27, 2018.......

None for sale right now (at this posting) on eBay but sold listings shows about 6 sold. Three were $60, one at around $45, etc. So they are out there.

k9wkj

K9RNW, there are 3 AllStar nodes within ear shot of you
you can jump around the world via AllStar with nothing more
than a analog radio
and AllStar sounds so much better than digital smidgital
JxhBYlx.png

at least one of them is a 2M repeater and the other maybe UHF repeater or simplex node
https://allstarlink.org/getstarted.html
i use Midland and Motorola radios of 30 year or so vintage

Murphy625

LOL.. don't beat yourself up...
I think everyone is guilty of this mistake at least once... I know I am....

CQ

I Have Some IC-T2H Rain Drops - Free for Just $10 Shipping

You mentioned the FT-4XR but it doesn't have dual VFOs so you wouldn't be able to listen to two frequencies simultaneously and didn't see any "rain" rating mentioned. I noticed it was $100 so not sure if that's your budget.

The Alinco DJ-500T is the closest at $100, but it's semi-duplex.

The Alinco DJ-G7T comes up next at $230 and a tri-bander.

You then start getting into the Yaesu FT-2DR which can be had for just over $360 now.
I have this one and recommend it if you're willing to part with some $$$.

KD2FIQ

I have the FT-4XR and the FT-65R. Both are great. I like the FT-65R more. The dual VFO mode appears to be only VFO. Not dual memory. Or split. That's one thing I miss about the Baofeng. Great audio also on both.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.