Yaesu: Yaesu 897 D anyone own or have owned one?need info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9JAB

Hello , new to the forum wondering if anyone has a yaesu 897D ? If so can you tell me what u set the radio settings at when using an exturnal tuner ? Thanks for any information !

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
I use an LDG AT-897 Plus auto-tuner, which is designed specifically for use with the 897/897D. Here is a quote from the manual regarding radio settings (it's a cut-and-paste):

"Turn on power to your transceiver. Once it powers up, hold in the FUNC key for one second to
access the extended menus. Rotate the SEL knob until menu #001, “EXT MENU” appears.
Rotate the dial knob until “ON” appears, to activate the extended menus. Rotate the SEL knob
until menu #019, “CAT RATE” appears. Rotate the dial knob until “4800” appears. Rotate the
SEL knob again until menu #020, “CAT/LIN/TUN” appears. Rotate the dial knob until “CAT”
appears. Hold the FUNC key for one second again to return to normal operation."

I don't know if the same applies with a different tuner.

Last edited:

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I also have the same set up as W6SAE. If you are using a manual tuner, I would suggest setting the 897 to AM and low power. Key the mic while adjusting the tuner for the lowest SWR then switch back to the desired operating mode and power level. The menu settings described above are obviously not needed with a manual tuner. Another technique would be to get a rough tune up by adjusting for maximum noise on receive and the fine tuning on transmit. The 897 will lower power in the face of high SWR to protect itself so you need to get reasonably close. You could also use an antenna analyzer to adjust the tuner.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have the same and do the same as W6SAE as well, unless I am using a tuned antenna for the band.

KC9JAB, what tuner do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.