Kenwood: Kenwood TR-7600 Power cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
Where can I find a power cable for this radio? I can’t seem to even find a picture of it, much less one for sale anywhere online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will001

Premium Subscriber
The problem is I don’t know if a single other radio that uses this connector. Even the 25 watt version of this radio uses a different connector (TR-7625). Maybe I’m missing something...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,
Where can I find a power cable for this radio? I can’t seem to even find a picture of it, much less one for sale anywhere online.

A local buddy has a few of these, IIRC. I will ask him what he uses to power them.

Sent using Tapatalk

K4EET

Chaplain
That is a 2-pin Foster connector. It screws on to the jack, right?

Foster.jpg

Check out this:

Microphone plugs at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan or

https://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/pwrcord.htm

Listed as a VA-CBC2 plug.

Cheers! Dave

Last edited:

FKimble

Don't look like a screw on, but the pic in the scan of the manual is very bad.

Maybe a couple good pics of your radio(power connector) would help.

The good part is the two pins are labeled and it's standard 12Vdc.

Frank KK4YTM

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I’ll snap a few pictures when I get home. It definitely isn’t the screw-on type.

K4EET

Chaplain
I’ll snap a few pictures when I get home. It definitely isn’t the screw-on type. <snip>

I heard back from my friend, and this is what he uses on his radio.

https://www.ebay.com/p/2-Pin-Round-...ansceivers/1379131418?iid=153287054737&chn=ps
<snip>

Will001,

Check the jack carefully. If it is not threaded, which I think it possibly is, then the connector could come apart. What krokus linked to is what I believe you need. But your picture(s) showing a close-up of the jack will be the determining factor.

Cheers! Dave

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
According to the manual, it's the model 7625 that uses the round (threaded?) connector. The model 7600 uses the rectangular connector - one not unlike the common two-pin plugs that can be found on many consumer items (although some might have to be trimmed to fit and/or have the AC plugs cut off).

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps this found on eBay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/R2PWPP-2-P...bZK3:sc:USPSFirstClass!63017!US!-1:rk:34:pf:0

This looks like something to be careful with as the DC power jack in the ops picture looks like it may also accept a standard 2-wire AC power cord.
Looking at the picture the op posted though, it almost appears the two round pins may be offset slightly to the left. If offset enough, common AC power plugs may not insert into the jack easily. I think if one did accidently plug in a live AC cord into the jack, the radio would go up in smoke!

edit: Here's another that may work although it does not mention Kenwood but it does include measurements you may be able to compare with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R2PPC-2-PI...m=400595777773&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking into it now, and I’ll try to get a measurement for y’all shortly

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Will001 -

In the previous photo of the DC jack itself, it's hard to tell if the jack is keyed in any way (to prevent reverse insertion). Not to be too obvious here, but any replacement plug would have to be similarly keyed.

FKimble

Looks like a very small "key" protrusion at 12 o'clock. Small enough to be over ridden by a forceful reversed insertion.

Frank

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Will001 -

If this was my rig, I think I'd just DIY a short pigtail using some crimp/solder connectors (that fit over the pins in the jack), cover them with some good shrink tubing, and bring the wires out to a standard "L-style" molex. Instant near-universal power cord compatibility and positive polarity protection!

Status
Not open for further replies.