Yaesu: How did you program your yaesu FT1XD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have been doing some programming for my Yaesu FT1XD using the ADMS-6 software and I have some questions.

-Are their other software choices for programming? If so, how do they compare to the ADMS-6?

-How did you program your FT1XD? With 900 memories and 24 banks, there are some different ways that I can think of to program the memories and assign them to banks.

-Did you program amateur radio frequencies exclusively or did you program some non-amateur frequencies for receive only? If so, what did you program? Did you add FRS/GMRS/MURS?

-It looks like Marine band and some others are pre-programmed.

-How well does these receive other amateur bands? For example, can it receive 220 very well or is it deaf there? What about 6 and 10 meter bands? Even with a suitable antenna, will it receive well or is it deaf there, too?

-Did you program your YSF repeater frequencies as digital only? Did you program the analog side disparately, one a different memory, or do you just toggle between analog and YSF from a single memory?

-Do you scan much with your Yaesu YSF radio? I would listen to public safety on my amateur radio years ago, but it has pretty much all moved to APCO P25 trunked on 800 Mhz, so that really isn't a concern of mine.

-I have even though about programming the entire VHF aircraft band, just to make use of the memories. How well does the Yaesu FT1XD receive there?

-Do you make use of the different banks or do you simply have everything in one bank?

k6cpo

The FT1D was the first radio I attempted to use Yaesu's programming software with. I even tried an inexpensive programming software from someone in the UK. Neither of them worked as well the RT Systems software. I will never use anything else...

djs13pa

90% of the time I use the stock programming software. For the FT1DR I tried. I really did. Yaesu can’t design software to be honest. It’s not intuitive and doesn’t even cover all the features on the radio. As a result I did program using RT Systems.

My banks I try and somewhat align to my mobile rig so if I am telling someone go to channel X it’s the same in both radios. Common banks for me

*Daily Repeaters
*Simplex channels (VHF and UHF analog and con-Fusion)
*Repeaters and simplex for EMCOM using the local tactical names
*Repeaters to and from the local popular off road run
*GMRS/FRS (to give me a second or third receiver to listen with)
* Convoy Channels (the wife has a license and so we pick a couple simplex to use now and then)
*Hiking repeaters/simplex for popular hikes I like (I’m in and urbanized area)
* one for a major public service event I do (like 40 frequencies)
* APRS

I vary some radios for special stuff. My P25 ht has some P25 zones, my DStar has DStar only zones, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use RTSystems software. I do not use the programming cable as it is not needed. I already have other radios programmed using RTSystems, so for me it was mostly copy and paste. I use RTSystems for my radios because of that. This way I only need to remember what channel corresponds to what frequency, or what channel number starts the system I want to RX and or TX. For example, 0 - 100 is mostly for amateur stuff, 200 starts the air band items I monitor, 300 is local PD, 800 is HF stuff, etc.

I also added GMRS and although I am licensed, I did not modify the FT1XD to TX as I use another radio for that.

Yes, I believe Marine is pre-programmed and I did not program that. I have a scanner for that when needed.

How well the FT1XD receives depends on the antenna and how tuned it is for the band you want to receive. Listening to lower HF stuff will require a suitable antenna, but the receiver may be overloaded by local AM broadcast stations. You may need to incorporate an AM filter inline from the antenna to your radio. Everyone's geographic location is different, so you will need to decide. No problem receiving with amateur bands like 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm using a typical antenna. Please note the Yaesu default antenna is not that great. I have owned various brands of handheld antennas and after using and sweeping them, I stick with Diamond for my aftermarket antenna. Still, some of the Diamond antennas have been poor performers as well.

Three favorite antennas that work well are:

RH951S - I use this on a Kenwood D74A. It works a little better than SRH-320A and yes, the RH951S sweeps and works very well on 1.25m. (I use this because of the BNC connector. I use an adapter on the D74A because it really does RX a wide bandwidth and different modes. Thus, the BNC allows for easy switching of different antennas, or at least the coax end going to them.)

SRH-320A - This is a good all around antenna too

SRH77CA / RH77CA - Same antenna, but different connections. This antenna works better than the two above for lower VHF stuff. In particular the CHP are around 42 MHz and it RX them in quite well comparatively.

I programmed the local YSF repeaters like normal. When I scan, on the A side, I adjust the mode so that it opens up to whatever mode. This is more a personal preference, but I hit the Dx button until the vertical line appears next to whatever mode and then enable the scan. (Remember, no C4FM on the B side. I use the B side for APRS or monitoring a particular freq.)

As I noted above I now own a Kenwood D74A, so if I want to scan with a handheld I use that. That radio literally replaced the function of four other radios I used: D72A, Yaesu VR-500, TH-F6A, Icom 31A.

I keep the FT1XD because the C4FM sounds great for digital. It beats the pants off of DMR and D-Star, although the EQ in the D74A helps D-Star somewhat now. It is no surprise the C4FM wins with the obvious transmission rate difference and bandwidth against D-Star. These all have their strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately, we users have options. Another option is P25, which I find myself using more often. Anyways, I am straying from your questions...back on topic.

The aircraft band works well too. I believe you need to adjust a setting though to make sure it will RX the AM mode. Yeah, I believe there is a setting you need to change in the menu. I forget where though.

I did not break the programming down. I just shoved it together and never got around to breaking it up more. I probably would have for selective scanning, but again that D74A came along and takes care of things when a scanner is not handy. I probably should go back and adjust that.

Status
Not open for further replies.