What would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodman

Hey yall ,new ham here. Thought maby you guys could give me some good handheld and mobile radios that i should start out with. Ones for a new ham. For handheld i look at the kenwood TK 290. It covers 2 meter ham bands and public safety bands also. I thought that i could program it for my local club repeaters. I have not look for a mobile radio yet. I do want to break the buget. Really all that i want to start with is a handheld and one mobile radio for now. If i have no clue of what i am talking about please tell because yall know way more than i do! Thanks.

James04TJ

I personally do not care for Kenwood amateur gear. I have a TM-V7 that developed problems with the face plate and was told that they refused to sell me a replacement but that if I sent it to them they would replace it for the cost of the face plate (again not telling me how much that would be) plus a minimum of $70 labor to "investigate" the need for the replacement.

For a handheld, I would recommend the Yaesu VX-7R. It will give you capabilities on 6m, 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm. The price is also not bad. To be honest, there are not any mobiles currently being produced that really appeal to me. The Yaesu dual banders are overly complicated from a control standpoint, the Icoms are priced a little high in my opinion, and again I just have an aversion to the Kenwoods. I will say however that I have an old Alinco DR-130 that has taken a beating and never let me down. Particularly if you are just looking for a 2m only rig you may want to consider an Alinco.

Personally I am mostly using commercial gear at the moment but there are serious downsides in not having access to a VFO.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
For your first handheld, I would go with a ham rig instead of a commercial rig. They're generally cheaper and user programmable.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I generally try to tell people to avoid getting a portable as a first rig. Operating portable is always a compromise, and I hear tales of new hams getting frustrated by the poor performance and give up the hobby before they really start. I'd recommend a mobile, and something with more than just the two meter band. There is life outside two meter repeaters, and the sooner you get exposed to that fact, the more fun you'll have.

I'm going to give a friendly rebuttal to James04TJ's comments and say that ALL the major brands of radios work just fine, and it really just comes down to personal preference. I've owned Yaesu's, Kenwood's, Icom's, and Alinco's. In fact, I currently have an Icom HF rig, and two Alinco HF rigs for mobile operation. I've had Yaesu and Alinco dual banders, and currently use an Icom HT. I recently retired my Kenwood HF rig. It was 25+ years old.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I would agree that buying a handheld would be a bad idea for a first radio. You may not be able to work many repeaters in your area with such a low-power radio.

I'm not sure why some people think Yaesu radios are hard to program. My first radio was a Yaesu FT-7800 and I programmed it all by hand without a problem. You might need to glance at the manual every now and then but it's actually a pretty logical menu and button system. I would recommend the 7800 if you are looking for a dual-bander.

If you're looking for a VHF-only radio, I have heard many, many good things about the Yaesu Ft-2800 (http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=zys-ft-2800). It's just a little over $100 and it is built like a tank. It'll give you a good taste of ham radio.

Generally, I think Yaesu radios give you big bang for your buck. They are reliable, durable, and affordable.

James04TJ

I'm going to give a friendly rebuttal to James04TJ's comments and say that ALL the major brands of radios work just fine, and it really just comes down to personal preference.

A very true statement. I had one bad experience with support from Kenwood amateur that turned me off from them. I have used many commercial kenwood rigs over the years that were build rock solid. There is also very little out there that can top the functionality of the TS-2000. It really is a personal preference.

newsphotog,] The 8700 looks to be somewhat simpler than the 8900 that I have been playing with. My problem with the 8900 is that it is very easy to bump one of the various knobs and cause function changes accidentally. In my mind this is just a bad setup for a mobile rig.

Tryton

Hello all, I just got my Technicians license and would like some input on a first rig. The one that I have been really looking at is the Icom 7000, any thoughts about this one? Thanks again!

James04TJ

Hello all, I just got my Technicians license and would like some input on a first rig. The one that I have been really looking at is the Icom 7000, any thoughts about this one? Thanks again!

I think the most important question is do you plan to upgrade to general and if so when... If not, the majority of the functionality of the 7000 will be unavailable to you. Other than 6 meter you are only able to use a very small segment of 10 meter USB. I would recommend an inexpensive 2 meter mobile if you do not plan to upgrade any time soon of if you are still a little unsure about the hobby.

Tryton

I plan on upgrading in a month. I want to do dxing, thanks for your input. I have already joined the local club and will; be very involved.. I know this will be a little off topic but.. When I was 13 or 14 years old I lived in Chicopee ma, I bought a police scanner and that's when my radio interest started, My brother and I would listen to the hams using the MT Graylock Repeater, and was fascinated. One day I was at a local store, and some guy pulls up and his car had quite a few antennas on it. I asked the guy what they were for and hes said "I'm a ham radio operator" and we talked for awhile, I told him that my brother and I listened every night on that repeater and loved listing to them. He was very amused and said to listen that night. Well, around 8ish we were listening and all of a sudden that guy calls out and said " btw we have two young men that listen to us every night on there scanner there name is Elliott (me) and Brian (my brother) and wanted to give a quick hello to them, maybe one day they will be on here with us!" I couldn't believe my ears! I was so excited and right there I knew I wanted to become a ham.. I am now 35 and can afford to buy the equipment. Sorry for going so off topic but anyways that's my story! :)

Last edited:
I have heard great things from every owner I have talked to about that rig. However, as James stated, without upgrading your license you only get to use a fraction of it's capabilities. If you have the cash and want it go for it. I would also start studying for the general at the same time cause with all that capability it would be waste not to!

OK, NM. You already answered that!

kyguy

I second the vote for the Yaesu 7800 !! I've been real pleased with both of mine, you can program by hand or by computer. I've not had any problems with either one (knocking on wood and not bragging :lol:).

N8IAA

First, congratulations on becoming a ham.
Second, what frequencies are the most popular in your area? Are they able to be reached by low power ht's? My first rig was a ht. Had it for a long time. Couldn't afford a mobile. Added an amplifier for simplex QSO's. Have had many ht's and mobiles in the 24 years I've been a ham.
Pick a radio that fits your budget and how you want to use it. Buying used is not a bad deal. There are many good radios that can be had for cheap that will do a lot. If your main interest is 2m repeaters and listening to VHF Hi band public service, go with one of the newer Yaseu's or Icom's single band radios. I personally use a VX-170. If you need UHF as well, get a dual band with extended receive. Look around, ask the hams in the local group/groups you might want to join what their favorites are. You will get a slew of replies like on the forum here, but, you can hold and use the radio personally. Makes it easier to decide:)
Larry

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Yaesu VX-7R or VX-8R

I would get the Yaesu VX-8R or its predecessor, the VX-7R (I have this one in black color).

See this RadioReference thread: NEW: Yaesu VX-8R

They both are excellent radios. They will give you all the bands (frequencies) you need. For receive, they cover 0.5-999 MHz (the whole gamut for the public safety you mentioned). They can be user-modified (physically or by software) to transmit out of band for MARS and CAP purposes.

I bought my VX-7R on sale for $299.99. You can find the VX-8R for $399.99.

Here are links to brochures for each radio:

Yaesu VX-8R Brochure

Yaesu VX-7R Brochure

Here are some basic specs:

• 6M, 2M, 222 MHz, & 440 MHz Xmit
  • 900 Memories
  • AM/FM BCB
  • AM band and full SW to 30 MHz
  • CTCSS/DCS
  • Optional GPS (VX-8R only)
  • Wideband Receive
  • True Dual Receive
  • Submersible
  • Bluetooth ready (VX-8R only)
  • Alphanumeric display (label your own ID -- VX-8R: 16 characters; VX-7R: 8 characters)
  • ARTS-Automatic In-Range Transponder
  • Backlit Keypad & LCD
  • Internet Key for Access to WIRES (TM)

VX-8R
0008lrg.jpg

VX-7R
vx7r.jpg

Last edited:

prcguy

I know a few people with IC-7000s and they are disappointed with the receiver. Two of them had the 706MKII before the 7000 and say its a lot better radio and less prone to RF getting into the transmit audio. There are also an unusual amount of 7000s for sale on QRZ and Ebay compared to similar rigs and that leaves me wondering what's up with that radio. Bob Shurwood's site that rates receivers also places it very low in the pecking order when it comes to surviving high level close spaced interference, which may not matter much for mobile use but can it you operate with a large base antenna.

On the question of a handheld for a first radio, I think its a fine idea. With an external base or mobile antenna you can operate through most repeaters that a 25w radio will work and if your looking at a 2m transmit/public service receive radio the Yaesu VX-150 series is hard to beat at around $120 new.
prcguy

ki4rvh

I plan on upgrading in a month. I want to do dxing, thanks for your input. I have already joined the local club and will; be very involved.. I know this will be a little off topic but.. When I was 13 or 14 years old I lived in Chicopee ma, I bought a police scanner and that's when my radio interest started, My brother and I would listen to the hams using the MT Graylock Repeater, and was fascinated. One day I was at a local store, and some guy pulls up and his car had quite a few antennas on it. I asked the guy what they were for and hes said "I'm a ham radio operator" and we talked for awhile, I told him that my brother and I listened every night on that repeater and loved listing to them. He was very amused and said to listen that night. Well, around 8ish we were listening and all of a sudden that guy calls out and said " btw we have two young men that listen to us every night on there scanner there name is Elliott (me) and Brian (my brother) and wanted to give a quick hello to them, maybe one day they will be on here with us!" I couldn't believe my ears! I was so excited and right there I knew I wanted to become a ham.. I am now 35 and can afford to buy the equipment. Sorry for going so off topic but anyways that's my story! :)

That was a wonderful story. God Bless that old ham for peaking your interest! Thanks for sharing. IC-7000 is a nice radio. I have a friend that uses one and it sounds great on the air. He loves it.

Chris
KI4RVH

rico47635

Hey yall ,new ham here. Thought maby you guys could give me some good handheld and mobile radios that i should start out with. Ones for a new ham. For handheld i look at the kenwood TK 290. It covers 2 meter ham bands and public safety bands also. I thought that i could program it for my local club repeaters. I have not look for a mobile radio yet. I do want to break the buget. Really all that i want to start with is a handheld and one mobile radio for now. If i have no clue of what i am talking about please tell because yall know way more than i do! Thanks.

The first thing you need to do is decide on what type of radio activities you are interested in. If all you want to do is yak on 2meter repeaters, then all you need is a single band radio. If there is a good amount of 440 activity in your area, then you need to look at a dual bander. I have an Icom V82, a U82, and a Yaesu FT2800. The U82 never gets used because there is so little 440 activity around here. I use the FT2800 as a base unit and take the V82 with me in the car. The repeaters in this area aren't hard to get into, especially when I use the mag-mount antenna on my car. The V82 cost me $130, and the FT2800 was $140. The power supply for the FT2800 cost me $80, the antenna and coax were around another $80. The mag-mount antenna cost me $25.

elk2370bruce

As a great start on 144/440, you may wish to consider the Yaesu 7800R. I've used one for the car and at home and found it to be more than satisfactory. Get great audio reports and it can be easily programmed. For an hf rig, I know of a goodly number of iCOM 7000' owners and each rave about the rig. The key to ANY hf rig is a well-thought out and properly constructed antenna. You can't work em if you can't hear em. I've been using a homebrew 20/17 spiderweb meter dipole (it cost under 20 bucks except for the balun) and have 82 countries confirmed in under two years. Spend some time on a good ground system and you'll never be sorry. You can also look at a used (but not abused) Icom 756 pro II for just a little more than the 7000 and you'll have one hellova station. Picked mine up for around $ 1400 and have never looked back. Other older rigs, such as the Yaesu FT 101 series (yeah, they're analog) will also put out a good signal. Some great Kenwoods out there too. Shop around and also hit the local hamfests with an experienced op and you may get very lucky,

wa8lgm

A good ham radio

Personally, any radio with the Yaesu name on it ranks right up there with free $1000 bills. They are built rugged as a tank and they are easy to program and (most of them) will work very well as receivers outside of the ham bands.

What's the best radio to buy? That's like asking what the best car to buy is. It depends upon what you are wanting to do with it.

You can, if you have oodles of money, buy one radio that will do everything in one box. But that will cost you two arms and three legs and will run all kinds of modes and will probably be the last radio that you'd buy for several years. Again, Yaesu makes one of those radios, but that particular radio will REALLY cost you.

Suggest that you look at QST magazine, the magazine published by the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) and examine the many listings of ham rigs for sale by different companies listed in the ads section of the magazine. Then, go to one of the radio stores and ask questions. That's a darned good place to start.

For my own use, however, I have commercial FM radios here. The 2 meter radio is a General Electric Delta with a General Electric S-990 programmable head on it with 128 frequencies in 8 modes (banks) and works pretty darned well. The 440 radio at the house is another GE radio, a Phoenix SX-1. It is a 16 frequency scanning transceiver (as is the Delta). It runs about 40 watts and has a very good receiver in it.

The portable radios here are both Motorola radio: MT-1000 for 2 meters and a HT1000 for 440MHz. Reason? They are rugged and stable radios that are easy to use for public event service and handy to use when I go out on walks with the XYL. And, they are tolerant of rough use.

But, those are my own preferences, which I came to after getting rid of the amateur radio equipment (Yaesu and Kenwood stuff) and looking around for other things that worked as well --- or better. I am also a fan of military surplus stuff, too --- same reason.

Then again, I have only been in this hobby for 43 years, so I have seen a lot of changes in the radio field along the way. I was first licensed in 1964 with the call sign of WN8LGM and all I could operate on was CW and I did it on the old novice band on 40 meters. Then I caught the VHF FM bug and haven't been cured for almost 11 years.

Nevertheless, lots of good luck to you in the future with this Ham Radio thing. Enjoy.

CU on the air! --*** ***-- ***-*- *-*-*

Last edited:

canichols

I would recomend a icom ic-V82 for 2meter hand held and a Yaesu ft-1802m for mobile both easy to use and big enough for so you fat finger anything. both have wide band receive 136mhz-170mhz

PeterGV

K1PGV
Congrats on getting your license.

Bear in mind: People's radio preferences are a lot like religion. You have an experience, and then you become a true believer.

Plus, of course, evaluating, choosing, playing with, and arguing over gear is one of the most fun things about the radio hobby.

If you're a tech going to general, I would personally recommend a TS-2000. It really is a ham shack in a box... and a darn good one for the price, in my opinion. It's a great radio to learn on, the documentation is written well, and it's not a radio you'll out grown.

I have one, and though I tend to use my SDR-1000 almost exclusively these days, I really do love my TS-2000.

What can I say? I just love that "Kenwood sound",

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.