where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObiHann

so many different radios and radio bands and frequencies.... 10 meter, 2 meter, etc etc, etc. UHF, VHF, HF, oh my! I just finished learning about trunked scanners, digital, analog, etc, and all about marine and cb, and now I start seeing ham/amature radios. So I think I realized that the 10 meter band is actually just cb radios, so what are the rest of it? I know you need a license, and there is a basic license, than a few more advanced ones, with morse code and stuff. What are the different bands and stuff? Where can I start reading? I'm sure if I started studying for the exam I would learn this all but I don't know if I even want to do that :S

N

N_Jay

Last edited:

KC8TCQ

so many different radios and radio bands and frequencies.... 10 meter, 2 meter, etc etc, etc. UHF, VHF, HF, oh my! I just finished learning about trunked scanners, digital, analog, etc, and all about marine and cb, and now I start seeing ham/amature radios. So I think I realized that the 10 meter band is actually just cb radios, so what are the rest of it? I know you need a license, and there is a basic license, than a few more advanced ones, with morse code and stuff. What are the different bands and stuff? Where can I start reading? I'm sure if I started studying for the exam I would learn this all but I don't know if I even want to do that :S

Actually, the 10m band is different from CB. The CB band is 11m.

As far as licensing, morse code is no longer required, there are three classes or levels of license in Amateur Radio.

The first is the Technicians class, this gives you voice priviledges on 6m, 2m, 70cm (440) etc. as well as voice on 10m from 28.300 to 28.500 USB. it is just a 35 question (multiple choice) exam to get your Technicians Class license.

Next is the General Class license. The General class gives you the same VHF/UHF priviledges, plus voice on portions of all of the HF bands and some bands you can use the whole band. To get your General Class, you have to have already taken the Technicians class test, then take a second 35 question (multiple choice) exam.

And finally is the Amateur Extra Class gives you full access to all amateur bands. To get your Extra Class, you need to have taken the Technicians, and the General exams, then take a 50 question (multiple choice) exam.

There are many different facets of amateur radio, different activities/modes available.

• Working DX
  • Ragchewing
  • Contesting
  • Digital modes (PSK31, Packet, RTTY Etc.)
  • Bouncing signals off of satelites
  • FM Simplex
  • FM Repeaters
  • Public Service activities (ARES / SKYWARN / RACES)
  • Homebrewing (Radios / Antennas)
Amateur Radio is what you make of it, and is much more exciting than CB, not to mention for the largest part a much better group of operators in general.

73 de Keith

ObiHann

Thanks! I did look at google, its a great site! I also looked at the RAC page, and a few others, as far as rules being different "up here", that doesn't make a huge different to me since I am still lost on this stuff. I was hoping for a more specific answer or link, a page that says stuff like, the 10 meter band is also known as the blah blah, and runs on the following fqs, or the 2 meter band is blah. Basically a real idiots guide. It seems those radio club sites and stuff are a bit too specific, and expect you to know stuff already.

N

N_Jay

If you ask a SPECIFIC question, you may get a specific answer.

If you ask "tell me what I need to know, but I don't want to put in the effort to know what to ask", you will often get answers of the same depth.

Read a little, ask about what you don't understand, go back and reread with your new found knowledge,

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

ObiHann

alright, I will try to be fairly specific, because the beginner stuff I have seen is either too vague (ie, ham radios allow you to talk to people all over the world) or too specific (details about which fqs you can use to chat with whoever)... I'm looking at some radios online, and see many different types, hf, 10 meter, 2meter, 222mhz, 440mhz, then dual and quad bands. I get that a dual/quad just lets you talk on multiple bands, but what bands are used for what? What I'm getting at is, what are all the different radios for? is 10m meant for just local chatter, when 2meter is all over the world? Im not worried about licensing, I will figure that out when I understand what I want to do with this new knowledge....

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Um, you might want to start posting your questions in the newbie section just one single forum below this one.

See here- Newbie / Getting Your License - The RadioReference.com Forums

Different bands have different propagation characteristics and, historically, had different technical challenges associated with getting radios to work there. ("shortwave" radios use different parts than "microwave" and were first to be built because vhf and uhf were difficult to do)

I think you could probably google your way to a license if you spent some time reading. There's lots to read that will answer your questions. Chances are excellent that you aren't the first person to think of that question.....

ObiHann

Um, you might want to start posting your questions in the newbie section just one single forum below this one.

See here- Newbie / Getting Your License - The RadioReference.com Forums

Different bands have different propagation characteristics and, historically, had different technical challenges associated with getting radios to work there. ("shortwave" radios use different parts than "microwave" and were first to be built because vhf and uhf were difficult to do)

I think you could probably google your way to a license if you spent some time reading. There's lots to read that will answer your questions. Chances are excellent that you aren't the first person to think of that question.....

I'll post over in the newbie section, I guess my questions are too vauge for this forum.... Just a note though, you all keep posting info on getting my license and I've mentioned a few times I do not care about my license, I will learn that part "when and if" I get interested in this, for now I'm just trying to learn all about it...

N

N_Jay

In general the lower the frequency the longer the distance.
Bands are listed either by frequency (e.g. kHz, or MHZ) or by wave length (Meters)
300/Frequency equals the wavelength in meters. (the number in meters is usually not exact and is more of a shorthand name for the band.
2Meter is 144-148 band
10 meters is the 30 MHz band
220 MHz is usually called 220 MHz
440 MHz is usually canned 440 MHz
The HF bands 2 to 30 MHz use the meters designation most.

Generally somewhere between 50 MHz and 150 MHz most communications becomes what is known as "Line-On-Sight" and is mostly local only communications. This is not literal, but is a good way to understand.
Generally somewhere under 30 to 50 MHz radio communications is carried by ground wave or skip. Ground-waves are local, but generally do not need ti be line-of-sight, and skip can go around the world (if conditions are right).

There are bands well above the MHz (in to the GHz), and bands below 2 MHz (160 Meter band), but those are for lessons 35 through 117.

Thank for completing Lesson 0.01, Pre-introduction to Ham Radio.

KC8TCQ

alright, I will try to be fairly specific, because the beginner stuff I have seen is either too vague (ie, ham radios allow you to talk to people all over the world) or too specific (details about which fqs you can use to chat with whoever)... I'm looking at some radios online, and see many different types, hf, 10 meter, 2meter, 222mhz, 440mhz, then dual and quad bands. I get that a dual/quad just lets you talk on multiple bands, but what bands are used for what? What I'm getting at is, what are all the different radios for? is 10m meant for just local chatter, when 2meter is all over the world? Im not worried about licensing, I will figure that out when I understand what I want to do with this new knowledge....

2m is VHF, more used for local operations, repeaters will help the radio talk farther. 10m can be used for local as well as DX depending on the band conditions. I have talked from N.W. Ohio to southern California on 10m, I have also talked to South Padre Island Texas on 10m. and this is w/o sunspots which help the signal travel even farther.

Local bands
  • 2m (144-148 Mhz
  • 70cm (440)
Distance bands
  • 6m (sometimes, called the magic band)
  • 10m (sometimes)
  • 12m
  • 15m
  • 17m
  • 20m
  • 30m
  • 40m
  • 60m
  • 80m
  • 160m

ObiHann

Thanks! I'm getting it now. From what I can see, correct me here if I'm wrong, 2 meter and 10 meter are the most common, and the most affordable to get into, and a good idea if I was to get a radio would be a dual band, that covers both?

N

N_Jay

Thanks! I'm getting it now. From what I can see, correct me here if I'm wrong, 2 meter and 10 meter are the most common, and the most affordable to get into, and a good idea if I was to get a radio would be a dual band, that covers both?
2 and 10 are very common, but I would not get a radio that covers both. It will not do either well.

I would get 2 and 440 for local chitchat, and full band HF for the HF bands.

Time to take a few hours and do some READING.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
A nudge in the direction of reading-

Beginner's Guide to Amateur Radio

Your bands question-

Amateur Radio Bands

There are LOTS of ham radio sites already constructed. While people do volunteer to retype stuff in response to questions it might be polite to do your homework and THEN ask more interesting clarifying questions.

Ham radio is fun but not fun enough to re-type everything that's already been written.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are two aspects to amateur radio that set it apart from just about every other radio service:

1. In order to transmit on the amateur radio bands, you have to have an amateur radio license. Each country sets up their own license structure and licensing requirements. Generally, you don't have to have a license to listen in the amateur bands, but you do have to have a license to transmit.
  2. Amateur radio operators can use lots of different bands and modes. Amateur radio operators in the U.S. have access to "chunks" of the radio spectrum starting with the 160 meter band (1.8 - 2.0 MHz) up through the HF, VHF, and UHF spectrum and into the microwaves. The choice of which band to use depends a lot on the distance you want to cover and the radio propagation conditions at that particular time of day. The mode you also depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You might use CW (Morse code), single-sideband voice, AM voice, FM voice, one of the various data modes, or one of a handful of image modes.

How do you learn about all of this? One way is to read the available information. Another way is to find an amateur radio operator in your area who would be willing to help you get started. There may be somebody in your neighborhood who is an amateur radio operator (look for antennas on the house or car) or you may want to check out a local amateur radio club.

One of the links given in the previous message has changed. Take a look at Guide to Amateur Radio for New Hams and pay particular attention to the "What is Amateur Radio?" and "What Hams Do" links.

Status
Not open for further replies.