checking others into nets

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
is it frowned upon to always check someone such as your wife into a net all the time instead of themselves getting on the radio and doing it themselves? On the local repeater club nets people always check in their wifes or friends for them. I haven't heard that person's wife check in or actually talk on the radio in forever. It's a waste to get license and be too lazy to get on the radio and talk or even check into a net. sometimes she would only join a radio conversation by shouting to the mic from the background when the husband keys up. like shes too lazy to walk across the room and grab the mic and talk herself. I and someone else think this is crazy that this is tolerated. When my friend used my radio to check in i waited my turn and grabbed the mic and checked myself in. I want the privilege to do that.
my .02 cents

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Now you know why we call it "2M CB" and why I avoid repeaters and FM in general. Down the bottom of the band in the dismal swamp of horizontal polarization is where the hams hang out.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It seems that everything in the human experience turns into a competition. Padding net check-in counts is just one more example, in my opinion. The numbers quickly turn into bragging rights. "Hey, we had over 80 check-ins to our net last night! Woo-hoo!" How many of those check-ins would really be capable of serving in any kind of meaningful way in a time of need?

I used to run a local RACES net a couple of times a year. Invariably, a handful of guys from my county who were at the state EOC would check in to my county net. So, what. If I needed them to deal with some emergency in the county, they would not be available to me. Their check-ins served no purpose other than to pad my count.

Sure, you can check in to the local net and also check in your wife and your kids. But you really just represent one station. So, in my opinion, you should just be counted as one check-in.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well Bob you do have a point, sort of. The real point is however is it's pointless as the Pointless Forest if you get my point but finding it in the land of Point may be difficult, even in Point Pleasant. If that confuses you listen to Harry Nilssen...

I really shouldn't be so hard on the 2M CB crowd, every net has them in one form or another. MARS must be the worst followed by the USCGA, they check in, nobody has anything to say formally and soon the net closes. Do they go away? No, it becomes a gab fest! Traffic nets are the worst, everybody says "no traffic" and the same thing happens, for that matter the NTS has disappeared from the packet BBS entirely.

Oh I'm sure the EMRAD crowd is at the ready but their training and practice is not over air and why should it be? They're not first responders conducting drills, that's not their purpose at all. For those who think this is all something new it isn't, your parents grew up with Civil Defense and they never saw us running around with our yellow Gonset Communicators but we were there just the same.

There used to be all sorts of nets and I was a participant but those like the swap and sell weekly fell victim to jammers and they are no more. Too bad the noobs never had a chance to participate in those fun activities but unfortunately Amateur Radio has fallen victim of a lot of evils so enjoyment is where you find it. That's what a VFO is for, that's why we have so many bands, like opportunity it won't come knocking, you have to go out and find it.

Last edited:

trace1

For those who think this is all something new it isn't, your parents grew up with Civil Defense and they never saw us running around with our yellow Gonset Communicators but we were there just the same.

"Duck and cover", eh? ;)

James04TJ

I love those old Gonset rigs. I have been waiting and waiting to find one (original OCD issue) that is in good condition at a reasonable price. IIRC they were purchased by OCD in both 2 and 6 meter AM flavors.

ki4rvh

Proxy check ins to ARES nets are not supposed to be allowed. Rag chew nets, club nets, etc. its at the discretion of the folks sponsoring the net. So it is not only frowned upon its not allowed by ARES. Whether the others are frowning or not is probably on an case by case basis.

ki4rvh

Now you know why we call it "2M CB" and why I avoid repeaters and FM in general. Down the bottom of the band in the dismal swamp of horizontal polarization is where the hams hang out.

What do you consider the bottom of the band? I've always heard 160 Meters referred to as the bottom of the band. Looks like you don't have privileges there. I'm just curious where you think the real hams are. I might stop in sometime and say hi.

Last edited:

James04TJ

I used to run a local RACES net a couple of times a year. Invariably, a handful of guys from my county who were at the state EOC would check in to my county net. So, what. If I needed them to deal with some emergency in the county, they would not be available to me. Their check-ins served no purpose other than to pad my count.

I just picked up on this part as it is a very valid point. While I do see a significant reason for the State EOC to be operational and accessible to each county, they should be representing that entity for that purpose. There should not be several individuals at the State EOC hitting the county net Vs having the State EOC check in as an entity using it's tactical call.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Its not just a 2m thing... it happens on the 3900 club when the person isnt even there and isnt around the radio... but i've got other opinions there...

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I should add that some people ask others to check them in when they can't make it for the net. but what good is that if the person isn't on the net with their own voice? sure can't count on them for anything. sometimes it isn't a habit for some people but for others it is. then there are those who check in just to get their name on the list but never talk on 2meters the rest of the time. if they have no interest in partaking in those bands then why even bother with the nets? Just to get their callsign out there and look good i guess. make the club look good padding the count as already put.

anyways....

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There should not be several individuals at the State EOC hitting the county net Vs having the State EOC check in as an entity using it's tactical call.
I agree, but the former is what happened.

...but what good is that if the person isn't on the net with their own voice?
More importantly, their own station.

In my opinion, the purpose of an amateur radio net is to: establish the availability of stations to handle emergency traffic, pass formal NTS traffic, disseminate information (including items wanted or for sale), or general chit-chat. If a net's stated purpose is to test ARES, RACES, or some other em-comm capability, ghost check-ins are just padding the numbers because those ghost check-ins are not really capable of taking an em-comm assignment. If nothing else, let the wife check in using the base station while you go out to the driveway and check in from your mobile.

While I'm on my soapbox ;) let me say something about checking in "base" vs. "mobile" vs. "portable". To me, "portable" is meaningless in an em-comm situation. Either you are in a fixed location ("base") or you are moving or capable of moving immediately ("mobile"). The type of radio you are using has nothing to do with your ability to serve the net. If you are checking into my net, I want to know if you are planning to stay put at a fixed location or if you are capable of being moved to a location where I need you. I'm sure others have alternate opinions.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
What do you consider the bottom of the band? I've always heard 160 Meters referred to as the bottom of the band. Looks like you don't have privileges there. I'm just curious where you think the real hams are. I might stop in sometime and say hi.

I'm curious too, AE7Q.com shows him to be a no code tech? Am I missing something?

James04TJ

I'm curious too, AE7Q.com shows him to be a no code tech? Am I missing something?

Since the band being referenced in his post in 2meter and he talks about horizontal polarization I would assume he is referring to 144.000-144.100MHz SSB. I had some fun VHF DX down there back in the day.

ki4rvh

Since the band being referenced in his post in 2meter and he talks about horizontal polarization I would assume he is referring to 144.000-144.100MHz SSB. I had some fun VHF DX down there back in the day.

Yup I missed that he did say bottom of the band not the bottom band. Thats what he probably meant. I guess now we know where the hams are. :)

K2QI

Huh??? :confused:

I've never heard of 2m referred to as 2m CB.

Oh nevermind... :roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.