Dayton Hamvention 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaft

So its down to the 30 day mark for the Dayton Hamvention. Who's going? Are you looking for something special, or just looking to grab a good deal?

JnglMassiv

I'll be there. It's nice to have something to look forward to all year.

No particular shopping agenda but always sniffing out those gently used gems.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
I'm going as well second year in a roll, looking to get a HF tri-bander beam and maybe some other stuff.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I'll be there looking for military surplus trinkets. You can monitor the mil radio collectors on 51.0MHz FM.
prcguy

I saw a video on YouTube of those guys walking around the hamfest with WWII-era radios on their backs. Some of those guys are characters -- they alone would be worth the trip to Dayton!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The guy I look for every year wears a construction hard hat to which he has affixed a model of a radio tower. It sticks up about 18 inches from the top of the hard hat. He attaches the rubber duck antenna from his handheld to the tower. He's also put flashing red LEDs on the tower for clearance lights. It's a hoot!

RandyG

Dayton 2009 P25

Yes I am attending and I was wondering if anyone has given thought to setting up some contact frequencies so we all can communicate and using P25 as well.

Thanks
Randy

shaft

I'll be there looking for military surplus trinkets. You can monitor the mil radio collectors on 51.0MHz FM.
prcguy

I was looking for some stuff last year, but didnt find much that was worth picking up. There was one guy that a a bunch of realy nice old gear in the back of his van that looked brand new, but wasnt for sale. He was nice enough to let me put my envious hands all over it.

The guy I look for every year wears a construction hard hat to which he has affixed a model of a radio tower. It sticks up about 18 inches from the top of the hard hat. He attaches the rubber duck antenna from his handheld to the tower. He's also put flashing red LEDs on the tower for clearance lights. It's a hoot!

He was standing near me while I was waiting to take my test last year. Pretty neat little set up he had on his hat.

Last edited:

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Who was staying at the econlodge in Troy OH? Seeing on my pager there is 2 alarm fire in the motel tonight so not sure how bad it's going to be damaged. If you did you might want to check.

DewAddict

I am going just to take pics..lol So far NOAA says 72 and sunny for Friday and most of Saturday but we all know how that can change quickly. Hope we do get good weather.

prcguy

Sounds like the white van guy in the north west corner every year who has a UHF satcom antenna on the roof that is never for sale. He also sells Andrew Heliax jumpers and Motorola stuff.
prcguy

I was looking for some stuff last year, but didnt find much that was worth picking up. There was one guy that a a bunch of realy nice old gear in the back of his van that looked brand new, but wasnt for sale. He was nice enough to let me put my envious hands all over it.

He was standing near me while I was waiting to take my test last year. Pretty neat little set up he had on his hat.

k9gunner

Will there be anyone there doing motorolla programming? I have a HT1250 that needs a few little things changed. Also, for those of you from out of town. The Air Force Museum is a good thing to take in. Also there is a lot of good food stuff at Benchwood and I-75. If anyone has any questions, and I can help, let me know.

DieselFF918

I will be down there for my 2nd year, this year.

Not really any agenda for me, probably will see if i can find a deal on a dual band radio.

If any one has or had reservations at the Econo Lodge in troy, if you havent done so, I would suggest making reservations else where. 26 of the rooms were destroyed, so there is some extensive damage done.

The fire was more than a 2 alarm, Troy, Tipp City, Piqua, Casstown, and Covington Fire Depts were all dispatched for the fire.

DewAddict

For those who need a room, the Super 8 in Vandalia still has a few rooms left. I called the local FD in Vandalia to ask if the area was decent and they told me it was not a bad place to stay. It appears it was remodeled in the last couple years and has decent reviews on google. Its no Hilton but if you need a place to stay it should be ok and only a couple miles North of Dayton.

Here is their website..

Super 8 Hotels | Vandalia Ohio Hotel | Vandalia, OH 45377 | Near Boonshift Museum on Discovery (8 Miles), Dayton Art Institute (9 Miles) & University of Dayton (10 Miles)

Rob

K9GTJ

I am going on Friday with the wife. (She actually wants a new HT that she is going to pick out.)

I have a short list of items to buy. I hope to get a rotator and 200' of new coax and a 440 beam for SSB work. Likely a new dual band Yaesu FT-7800 for home.

SCPD

QRT
146.56 pl 100 hz

I will be on 146.560 pl100.

Call sign W1UZI

All right, we got a freq and pl set for all the RR members.

I'll be down there looking at all the rows and rows of surplus moto stuff in the flea market.

A word to the wise:
If it's a sunny day, don't be like big dummy me and wait towards the end of the swap to go in and get your Yeasu ballcap. By then, you're head is already burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.