Multi Band Hand helds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazycanuk

Hello, Im a complete newbie here. I am in the market for a Icom IC-A24 as I am a pilot. I then started to wonder if there were hand helds that would also do CB and HAM Freq RX\TX. Are there radio's like this or is this a dream radio:)

Thanks in advance

fineshot1

Hello, Im a complete newbie here. I am in the market for a Icom IC-A24 as I am a pilot. I then started to wonder if there were hand helds that would also do CB and HAM Freq RX\TX. Are there radio's like this or is this a dream radio:)

Thanks in advance

When you say ham radio - you do not specify a band(there are many ham bands),
ie: 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters, 220mhz band, 70cm band, 33cm band, 23cm band

CB is 26/27Mhz band just below the commercial vhf low band(30-50Mhz).

What you seem to be dreaming about is not yet practical by today's technology
for an all in one HT and would also be tough for a radio salesman to sell as there
is no market for it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - there are multi-band ham ht's but they are just ham
and do not mix in commercial bands.

Last edited:

CLynch7

Thanks in advance

The Vertex Standard Pilot series are great air handhelds (I've got a VXA-210 I carry as a backup in my flightbag). Yaesu makes great radios, multi-banders too. I've got my eye on
a VX-5R, 50/144/430MHz Bands. As for handheld CB radios, most a poor performers. They may receive well, but TX has very little range.

crazycanuk

So for the plane I'll have to get just a regular aircraft HT in the 118 ~ 136.975 mhz.

for a second radio would a Yaesu VX-3R be considered a good entry lever HT?

VX-6R and VX-7R would be preferred though?

One other Question, any transceiver that does 420-470MHz can be programed to work FRS band?

tekshogun

The only thing I can think of is a 10 meter hand held that is not restricted to the ham bands. I have never seen anything like that. I use a VX-5R which only transmits on 6m, 2m, and 70cm ham bands. The Yaesu FT-817 is an all mode all ham band but I honestly do not know if the CB frequencies are blocked (being a radio built for amateur radio operators) from TX. The FT-817 is not a handheld but it is an ultra-portable mobile rig that can use battery power and has a an antenna connecter for the VHF and UHF communications and one for HF (50 MHz or 6 meters and down).

tekshogun

What you need is a multi-band ht that is not made specifically for ham radio if you need it for other bands such as air or marine.

I use the VX-5R which can be modified, illegally, to transmit out of band (the so called MARS/CAP mod). My radio was built for and currently transmits on the amateur 6m, 2m, and 70cm band (50MHz, 144MHz, 430MHz respectively).

You may be better off getting a low band HT that can operate all the way down to that 10 meter/CB frequency range and an HT that can do the other bands that you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.