Keeping mobile from getting stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

srd84

Since I have only one rig, I've been using my FT-857D as a mobile and as a base. I have it double bungeed to the front of the center seat in my F-150 when I'm mobile which actually works quite well. Tonight after a long drive home I almost just threw my jacket over the rig and went inside, but I know better than to leave anything in the car you don't want stolen...so I didn't. I know that everyone's circumstances and home QTH's are different, but I was just wondering how you keep your rigs safe and secure and if any of you have had problems in this regard.

Steve
KJ4LAZ

Tommahawk

Northern Virginia... Hmmm sounds like just around the DC Beltway area, PG County, etc..... Well if I were in your shoes taking the radio with you isn't such a bad idea, however with the size of the FT-857 it makes it really easy to install in a inconspicuous place that is easily accessible by the operator. Personally I would say if people want to steal that type of equipment they probably look for the antenna on the outside.....

blinddog50

I have a FT-7800 in my Jeep Rubicon.
I usually just take the face plate off.
Used some kind of weird ass screws to bolt the radio body to an overhead bar that is bolted to the roll bar.
Let 'em go at it.
Takes me 30 minutes to get it off and I know how to do it.

K

kb0nly

I leave all my radio gear in the vehicles, but then i live in a small town thats really quiet, mostly retirees i swear! But i don't have the small town false sense of security. Both vehicles do have intrusion alarms, and are parked up next to my house where i would hear them, but then the dogs usually bark before i even know someone is in the driveway or on the yard.

Bottom line though, get some insurance and feel safer about it. I have my mobile gear insured through HRIA and it even covers the antenna's. Anything gets stolen despite my best efforts and i file a police report and a claim.

And if someone smashes a window i have full glass coverage with State Farm. Actually got to test that last year when a dummy of a neighbor was mowing lawn and took out the rear window on the wife's car, man was she PO'ed.. I went to State Farm's website, since it was like 8pm at night before i noticed it, filed a claim and chose a local glass repair place and i was done. The auto glass place called me the next day and scheduled a time to come replace it. Watched them do it all in my driveway with a smile after telling them what happened. No questions, no muss, no fuss. Heck they even vacuumed out the back half of the car to make sure they had everything cleaned up.

Anyway, i know that was more then you were asking, but just a story to relate.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I put the faceplates/remote heads on a Gamber Johnson rack on the transmission hump and bolt the actual radios and scanners to the floor underneath my seats. Criminals are usually dumb, and usually just do a quick smash-and-grab so I'm hoping that they just steal the faceplates/remote heads without thinking there's more to it than that. I still need to call Progressive and find out how to get my radios covered.

Now that all of you know my secrets now...

tekshogun

One word, concealment.

You do not have to permanently mount your rig but you can "hide" it and use a quick release system so you can remove the rig when ever you want. I know that one nice thing about the Yaesu FT-817, 857, and 897 is that they can go completely portable running off of batteries or you may want to move it back inside to use as a base (especially if you do not have an HF antenna setup for your vehicle) so you may not want to take 30 minutes to release the radio when you need to. Hiding it under a seat or behind the seat (rear seat in a full size cab or the driver or passenger seat of a regular cab/crew cab). From there, use a remote kit and you're good to go. Your factor radio is more likely to be stolen than your rig and most people when they see radio equipment like that, they are concerned as to whether or not you are a cop or linked with some type of agency or they are generally uninterested. These days, even a mag-mount antenna will make some people think twice about messing with the car.

KI6ABZ

Premium Subscriber
My 7800 hides under the front seat. The mount for the head unit sits right in front of the center console storage box/armrest, and it takes about 3 seconds to unclip it and throw it in the box. If I'm feeling real paranoid, I'll take the control unit and my stereo faceplate with me.

K

kb0nly

I put the faceplates/remote heads on a Gamber Johnson rack on the transmission hump and bolt the actual radios and scanners to the floor underneath my seats. Criminals are usually dumb, and usually just do a quick smash-and-grab so I'm hoping that they just steal the faceplates/remote heads without thinking there's more to it than that. I still need to call Progressive and find out how to get my radios covered.

Now that all of you know my secrets now...

Progressive still has a personal property carrier you can add to your policy, i think... I know a local ham that is an agent for them, i should ask him.

State Farm doesn't i know that, their policies even clearly state Amateur Radio equipment as being NON-Covered. They discontinued the optional carriers.

That's why i got the HRIA coverage.

After reading the other comments, a remote mount is the best way to go. I can pull the head off the mount and toss it and the mic in the glove box and lock it, or in the storage drawer under the passenger seat in my van and lock it, but i hardly ever do.

avfd2922

I have to agree with KI6ABZ. I also have my 7800 mounted under front driver's seat and the control head mounted on the console ( I have a Dodge Charger). I just leave the control head in there cause most people don't even realize it's there.

k8mcn

most mobile rigs have heat sinks on the rear--drill a few holes through the sink, mount some razor blades on the back. When the thief does the snatch and grab,he will think twice next time-----------actually this is an old tale i have heard for years! :)

I agree, concealment is best, also the ARRL advertises insurance, but i cant vouch pos or neg for it............

tekshogun

Pretty much everyone does concealment and like I stated above, get a remote head kit. People tend to take what's easy, whole, and they know what it is. If I smash and grab on a vehicle, what am I going to do with this remote head unit and no body and a possibly damaged connector.

Razor blades, funny, you're just asking for getting sliced by them your self.

APTN

Theft

I have not had a problem with transceivers or other equipment in the vehicle being taken. However, I did have 1 magnetic antenna stolen off my car. If you use magnetic antennas, you may want to take them off and put them inside the vehicle when parked if they will fit.

n8emr

Thats why you have insurance. Regardless if you have a radio visiable or not, the antenna pretty well is going to tip off people there is something to take.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 scanners, a FT8800, and a VHF marine radio (for CG AUX tasks) in my car. I drive all around the area and never had a problem. I feel the people stealing are looking for items that can be easily resold like GPS units, and laptops rather than ham radios. Ham radios have limited value outside of very narrow market. The only thing that has happened to my car is a hit and run one night a few weeks ago.

I use a mag mount antenna with 2 meter radio in my work box truck making deliveries in Baltimore Washington metro area with no problems at all. In my job I go to some bad areas that don't go in at other times and my radio gear/antenna are still safe.

Last edited:

rocknrun

Anyone ever tried putting an alarm on their car with the siren on the inside? I think ordinary car alarms are pretty much useless since the alarms are typically ignored. I've wondered though, if the siren was located in the interior, along with some strobes (for a night time break-in) if it would make it unbearable enough for the thief that he couldn't finish up what he started?

tekshogun

Anyone ever tried putting an alarm on their car with the siren on the inside? I think ordinary car alarms are pretty much useless since the alarms are typically ignored. I've wondered though, if the siren was located in the interior, along with some strobes (for a night time break-in) if it would make it unbearable enough for the thief that he couldn't finish up what he started?

I understand what you're getting at but a determined car thief will disable that alarm, unbearable or not, just like they'll disable the alarm under the hood. In fact you make it easier for them to get to it by putting it in the cab of the car instead of under the hood. Some cars these days make it hard for you to find the latch release. Best thing to do, if you're that desperate to keep your car is to put it on bricks and LoJack it just in case they're bright enough to load it up on a flat bed or put wheels on it themselves (car thieves rolling around with four spare tires = the world is over).

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The approach I take is, used gear goes in the car. The HF is a low end radio off of ebay. The UHF is a Spectra. I HOPE no one takes it, but if they do, I don't have a huge amount of money invested. And I just refuse to worry about it. It is what it is...

geoff5093

I live in a pretty safe area so I don't worry about it too much, but even when I went down to NYC and had my truck parked overnight for two nights I didn't have any problems. When I went to NYC I unscrewed the antenna from the mag mount and through it in the back seat, the radio is mounted under the passenger seat and the remote head is on the front console, which isn't extremely visible unless you really look.

I'd say just make sure the radio isn't sitting on top of the seat or on the floor, and that you remove the antenna when you park.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE PSR-600 mounted on top of the dash in a 2009 Toyota Corolla, mainly because of limited space there was no where else to put it. Plus it is convenient to operate and visable. Security was/is a big worry though. At work I just throw a light jacket over it, or in summer use a heat shield. I'm not really that concerned there, however if I'm any other location that is "questionable" I unplug, unscrew, and stow it in the trunk. It only takes about thirty seconds so it's not that big of a deal.

Mike

K

kb0nly

Insurance = No Worries

I have everything insured, if the worse happens its taken care of.

I agree with the comments that most thiefs are not interested in ham gear or two way radios. I've heard of a few cases, and even read actual police reports, where a car was broken into and the CD's and Ipod or GPS were stolen and the $1000 in ham gear wasn't even touched. Thiefs know what they can sell, two-way radios are something they commonly overlook.

In one case the thief was apprehended the next day trying to sell an Ipod that had the owners name and address laser engraved on the back, he claimed he bought it used and didn't need it anymore, etc.. When asked why he chose the items he stole his reply was that the radio gear is an easy way to get caught, why? Well most commercial radios can be traced by inventory or serial numbers, and he didn't know what he was dealing with otherwise.

On the flipside i read one report where a truck was broken into, there was a stack of Spectra's and a HF rig, you know what got stolen?? The $30 CB and anything audio related. They know that stuff can be re-sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.