Anyone use ECHOLINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidvhf29

echo echo echo link

i would like to try it, but the nearest node is over 50 miles away from my apartment, and I'm in a low spot.

I'm around 700 feet above sea level and hills all around me are 1000 to 1200 feet.

D

DaveNF2G

For those who are thinking about Echolink, be aware that if you have a firewall, you will have to make a "hole" in it (open ports) for Echolink to work. It is not a risk to your computer, but often when people complain that Echolink doesn't work, it is being blocked by their firewall.

APTN

Echolink

I use it, as I do not yet have a transceiver. (That will be changing soon. ;)). I also like that fact that even with a transceiver, it can be used to connect to others far away.

shaft

I've used it a few times. I'll log in via my laptop here in St. Louis and jump on a node in Dayton and talk to a few friends on one of the Dayton repeaters.

fineshot1

i would like to try it, but the nearest node is over 50 miles away from my apartment, and I'm in a low spot.

I'm around 700 feet above sea level and hills all around me are 1000 to 1200 feet.

Those are radio rf limitations which echolink is not effected by.

If you can make a connection from your pc to an echolink node anywhere in the world
then you are in business.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I just built a link radio... cost me 4 dollars and a couple of cannibalized serial / mic cables...

IDK Why more people dont do it...

A simple transistor in the ptt circuit and you're off to the races...

nexus

David I don't think you quite know what echolink is.

Echolink is SOFTWARE you install on your PC and it allows you to connect the software to amateur radio stations all over the world via INTERNET. The most popular activity is logging into echolink and then connecting to a REPEATER SYSTEM somewhere in the world, and essentially you become just another voice user of that repeater system.

Here's an example. Where I live, we have a repeater on 147.375 mhz that has a 75 mile radius. There are about 40 to 60 active users on it locally via their 2 meter radios. But we also have ECHOLINK connected to it, so no matter where ever you are in the world, you can login to ECHOLINK and then connect to our repeater which is N5UCF-L once you connect your echolink software to our repeater you become an active user. You'll hear all conversations taking place on the repeater, and likewise, you'll be able to press the PTT button in echolink and talk to US LOCALLY through your PC's microphone. Your voice will go out on the repeater (147.375) and everyone in a 70 mile radius of Gulfport, MS will hear you talking, from wherever you may be.

That is how echolink works, and its all free. Introducing EchoLink all you have to do is register to become a user and prove that you have a valid amateur license. Once that's complete you will be able to connect to stations (both repeaters, and simplex links) all over the world.

You do not need to be anywhere near a repeater that has echolink on it in order to use it.

Last edited:

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a Link node on here and I use it with my HT when I'm sitting outside. Pretty cool!

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I just built a link radio... cost me 4 dollars and a couple of cannibalized serial / mic cables...

IDK Why more people dont do it...

A simple transistor in the ptt circuit and you're off to the races...

Can you give extra details?

richscan

I have Echolink its great Live in an Apt cant have an outside antenna solves the problem
also use CQ100 and EQSO have made a lot of contatcts around the world using them , if i can help you please email me at K7RJP @aol.com

zRich

Status
Not open for further replies.