Paper license, wallet size

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLynch7

Can I carry around a copy, or does it have to be the original that the FCC sent me? Does anyone ever ask for it?

canav844

Yeah my original came with it, the FCC suggest to tear it off and laminate it.

mcooke

I can't imagine anyone ever asking to see it so I have never carried mine. I would say it is totally a personal choice. It's very easy to replace so I wouldn't worry about carrying the original.

2beers4me

I can't imagine anyone ever asking to see it so I have never carried mine. I would say it is totally a personal choice. It's very easy to replace so I wouldn't worry about carrying the original.

It might come in handy if you are pulled over by the police, and getting questioned for having a scanner in your car.

D

DaveNF2G

You need to show it if you want to operate certain club stations, such as W1AW.

Lamination is cheap and can be done at Kinko's, Office Max, or Staples - and probably a few other places.

canav844

It might come in handy if you are pulled over by the police, and getting questioned for having a scanner in your car.

Yup, depending upon the state you're in that can be one of the biggest incentives to get the a HAM ticket in the first place.

DirtyLarry

Yup, depending upon the state you're in that can be one of the biggest incentives to get the a HAM ticket in the first place.

I have heard about states like that. I have a scanner, 2 meter rig, 10 meter rig, and a hunting rifle on the rack and the police just wave at me. I'm glad I live in the South.

D

DaveNF2G

Ditto for New York. We renew by mail and no documentation is required once the plates are issued.

Can I carry around a copy, or does it have to be the original that the FCC sent me? Does anyone ever ask for it?

Myself, I carry a laminated original license in my wallet for when I go to Ham events, Ham clubs, Ham organizations/Associations. Most of these, unless you are using a club and/or event call, want/need proof of you being a licensed operator.

I keep laminated copies of my Ham ticket in places such as my public service ID holder (for when I'm working events) and in my Go-Kits.

I live in New England and while no paperwork is required to have radios in one's vehicle(s), when on the road up here, New York state, as well as some of the southern states I travel into and through do...

Better safe than sorry. I know I don't want to be issued a violation, or worse, have my gear "removed" from my vehicle, as one of my non-Ham friends had happen to his scanner while in New York state. While trying to stay on topic, for reference, check out this link on scanner laws as they relate to US states: U.S. Scanner Laws

CLynch7

I ended up laminating a reference copy for now. The only state that I go to with any frequency is Florida, but how well monitored are the scanner laws? Thanks for the laws link btw.

I ended up laminating a reference copy for now. The only state that I go to with any frequency is Florida, but how well monitored are the scanner laws? Thanks for the laws link btw.

Lamination of the license is the way to go, especially in Florida with the humidity!

As for the radio in the vehicle. I guess that would depend of the department, and the individual cop... However I would say that Joe-Average-Cop is not goiing to spend his day busting "regular guys" for having a radio(s) in their vehicle. That is unless they're doing something to draw the officers attention to the radio and/or themselves! [LOL]

Status
Not open for further replies.